Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car journey internet connection.

Options
  • 17-07-2017 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi, I am travelling a very long journey in the car with my 2 year old. Is there a way I can use my iPad to entertain her? Peppy pig etc without internet connection. So not technological so I really appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Download a video, store it and play back when needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Summer2017

Download a video, store it and play back when needed?

Thanks for reply. Where can I download from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭CPTM

What mobile phone do you have? Try reading up on mobile tethering.. I have unlimited data with Three, and I can tether my phone, which means it basically becomes a WiFi device to which others can connect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

You dealing with kids, dont leave things to chance.
    Download their favourite shows on Netflix is the best thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

billbond4 wrote: »
    You dealing with kids, dont leave things to chance.
    Download their favourite shows on Netflix is the best thing to do.

Definitely this.

Mobile broadband coverage and speed can vary significantly outside main urban areas. It's not too uncommon to have blackspots where there is poor or no 3G coverage, even along main roads. I've used a 3G wireless access point / router for an internet connection when on the road and it can vary from excellent to non existant depending in where I am.

Download whatever you want beforehand to keep them entertained on the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭CPTM

Mobile broadband coverage and speed can vary significantly outside main urban areas. It's not too uncommon to have blackspots where there is poor or no 3G coverage, even along main roads. I've used a 3G wireless access point / router for an internet connection when on the road and it can vary from excellent to non existant depending in where I am.

Fair point.. I only tethered for mates who wanted Facebook and whatsapp, not video streaming etc. Different kettle of fish when streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I find iPad storage can be limited so I use this device
    Highly recommended - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CZ0P0PS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_gXwyzbMSY896H

See here for more discussion - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057761628

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Summer2017 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. Where can I download from?

For Peppa Pig in the situation you describe I would probably grab from youtube but the other suggestions will work if you have subscription to the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

OR go old school and get something like these.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9123988/Trail/searchtext%3ECAR+DVD.htm
    I have nextbase ones I got from Halfords and have them in the car, they are a lot easier to operate if your driving than a tablet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Netflix has a category 'Children and Family Films' within which they categorise movies into ages 0-2, 2-4 and so on so the OP should be able to find some suitable movie-length entertainment for a 'very long' journey.

There's lots of episodes of Peppa Pig on Netflix and they can be downloaded but they are only 18 minutes long. But.... if you download a series of episodes and play them from the top, it will play them in sequence so if you downloaded enough of them (each episode is roughly 64MB for 18 minutes), you could string together a few hours of entertainment.

Advertisement