Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad won't turn on

Options
  • 17-07-2017 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the terminology, I'm not the most techkie minded !

I have an old iPad 2 (from late 2013/early 2014). Anyway I dropped it the other day and the screen went blank and wouldn't come back on. This happened a few months ago also and I looked it up and tried the usual solutions, holding the home and power keys down, tapping firmly on the back of the device etc. It worked at the time but the display at times would appear a little hazy around the edges. Usually a firm tap on the back and it would be ok.
    When I dropped it the other day, none of these worked. When I hold the two buttons down, the screen briefly flickers from black to dark grey and then back to black a moment or two later. I've tried this a number of times to no avail.

I'm considering bringing it to Harvey Norman Apple repair centre but I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Apple repairs are expensive ? Obviously I know that's a bit of a "How long is a piece of string" kind of question, but I googled it and some quotes on the Apple site were not that far off the price of a new iPad. Just thought I'd try to get some info in case it comes down to choosing a new one over a repair ?

Would a new 2017 iPad be much improved over a 2013 iPad 2 ?

Many thanks !

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Russman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies in advance for the terminology, I'm not the most techkie minded !

I have an old iPad 2 (from late 2013/early 2014). Anyway I dropped it the other day and the screen went blank and wouldn't come back on. This happened a few months ago also and I looked it up and tried the usual solutions, holding the home and power keys down, tapping firmly on the back of the device etc. It worked at the time but the display at times would appear a little hazy around the edges. Usually a firm tap on the back and it would be ok.
    When I dropped it the other day, none of these worked. When I hold the two buttons down, the screen briefly flickers from black to dark grey and then back to black a moment or two later. I've tried this a number of times to no avail.

I'm considering bringing it to Harvey Norman Apple repair centre but I'm just of wondering if anyone knows if Apple repairs are expensive ? Obviously I know that's a bit of a "How long is a piece of string" kind of question, but I googled it and some quotes on the Apple site were not that far off the price of a new iPad. Just thought I'd try to get some info in case it comes down to choosing a new one over a repair ?

Would a new 2017 iPad be much improved over a 2013 iPad 2 ?

Many thanks !

HN will only send it Apple for repair, so you know your price to repair it.
    Huge difference between iPad 2 and current, or even a refurb iPad Air 2. You could pick one up pretty handily on the Apple refurb store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

Just as a follow up to this,
    The shop have offered to replace the ipad (under some European warranty scheme) which is great news obviously. I'm just wondering should I have any concerns about handing in the broken ipad given my e-mail would still be on it, along with social media accounts (eg FB) and also potentially, say, bank details and/or history if I made any online purchases/payments etc. Is this an issue with ipads or do they even work the same way as a PC/laptop when it comes to storing data/info ?

What even happens with returned ipads, are they reconditioned and sold on or stripped for parts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This one will get recycled, Apple won't be selling this on considering it's 6 years old and discontinued, anyone who wants to get into your iPad will need your passcode anyways. You did have a passcode enabled right?

This one will get recycled, Apple won't be selling this on considering it's 6 years old and discontinued, anyone who wants to get into your iPad will need your passcode anyways. You did have a passcode enabled right?

You mean the 4 digit code to unlock the screen when I turn it on ? Yes, I had one of those alright (actually I forgot about that layer of security !).

Sorry for sounding dense with this stuff, I was more thinking of the stories you hear of people removing & keeping safe the hard drives from their laptops & PCs before getting rid of them just in case someone tried to extract info from the drives. Perhaps Ipads don't work this way ?

What does recycle mean in terms of an old ipad ? broken up and usable parts kept ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you're not sounding dense.

with a passcode enabled your device is encrypted, it will stop pretty much everyone from accessing your data. Of course someone with enough money and motivation (re government agencies in certain countries) will be able to get in using unannounced/unaware backdoors but the chances of that happening are slim.

Follow the steps here https://support.apple.com/en-ie/HT201351 under "If you no longer have your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch".

As to how they recycle the parts, I'm not 100% sure on this but my guess is they melt down the common metals and resell it to other manufacturers or use it themselves. The components by themselves are either too slow or old to be usable in any new products.

• Advertisement

Ah right, thanks a lot for that.

Sounds like there's not a lot to worry about by handing it back so !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Russman wrote: »
    Just as a follow up to this,
    The shop have offered to replace the ipad (under some European warranty scheme) which is great news obviously. I'm just wondering should I have any concerns about handing in the broken ipad given my e-mail would still be on it, along with social media accounts (eg FB) and also potentially, say, bank details and/or history if I made any online purchases/payments etc. Is this an issue with ipads or do they even work the same way as a PC/laptop when it comes to storing data/info ?

What even happens with returned ipads, are they reconditioned and sold on or stripped for parts ?

They have offered to replace the iPad, despite the fact you dropped it? Under an EU Warranty? Let us know the shop, I'd say we will all go there in the future...:)

whiterebel wrote: »
    They have offered to replace the iPad, despite the fact you dropped it? Under an EU Warranty? Let us know the shop, I'd say we will all go there in the future...:)

Yeah, I know ! I think the exact words were "European law" rather than European warranty. I just need to produce the original receipt - it was a birthday gift, but I'm assured the person who gave it to me still has the receipt "somewhere" !!

To be honest I'm still slightly dubious about handing over an iPad that I haven't had a chance to wipe, just in terms of "where is this actually going to end up ?" But I don't know enough to know if it's a real issue. The excellent advice above has put me much more at ease though I have to say.

Advertisement