Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's wrong with my tomato plants

Options
  • 17-07-2017 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

What is going on with my tomato plants. Is it any danger to the other plants in my greenhouse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Ah nuts, I had EXACTLY this problem with mine too. It is caused by lack of air circulation and high humidity.
    It's very common in greenhouses.
    It spreads very quickly and wiped out my tomato crop. All the leaves just turned to mould and I ended up binning the lot.

I took a sample to garden centre and a woman there said its grey mould (botrytis). Not 100% sure if shes right but its certainly a type of mould anyway and it's bad news.

Funny enough it has also infected the cucumber plants but doesnt seem to bother them as badly as the tomatoes.

Have you got a lot of plants in the greenhouse? Over-crowding? Is there a lack of air circulating around the greenhouse? Is there sometimes a lot of dampness or condensation on the glass etc?
    These are all the things that cause it

After you've finished growing for the season you'll need to thoroughly disinfect the greenhouse coz it can actually survive in there til next season apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Thanks for replying. The strange thing is there's nothing else in the greenhouse at the moment as I usually grow flowers but would like to get into fruit and veg also. There's plenty of air and no condensation. What would you suggest for disinfecting

Someone recommended 'Agralan Citrox Greenhouse Disinfectant' to me but I would imagine you'd probably be able to get away with bleach and water or whatever. I haven't gotten around to it yet. I just dumped all my tomato plants and then sulked about it for a few days, I'm still gutted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

So sorry about your tomatoes. After all the work and time it's dreadful when they fail. I hope your other crops are ok.

Cheers! Ah yeah it sucks when ya lose a few plants but 90% of the time it's a great hobby. Best of luck with yours too! Hopefully yours will hang in there better than mine and still give you a decent crop of toms!

• Advertisement
Advertisement