Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company car insurance

• 17-07-2017 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm wondering is it possible for my mother to insure me on her company car?
    I am 20 years old and have a provisional license so I would be a learner driver.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well if its a company car I would imagine no is the answer. Surely you would have to be an emplyee of the company to use their car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Not necessarily true, I had my wife as a named driver on my company car for years, she had a full license and was over 25 though. Your mother would need to speak to the fleet manager in the company and see if it can be arranged. I would not get your hopes up, the company may say no or the additional cost may be prohibitive. Also your mother may not feel it is appropriate to ask this question in work, which is fair enough and you will have to respect her wishes if so. But the only way to find out is to ask, nobody here can tell you either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Spouses/partners with a full licence would typically be covered because as with all insurers, they like the notion of a second driver in the event that the couple are out for the night and the principal driver has had a few but learner drivers could be a problem.

As advised above, she will have to ask at work and I wouldn't heed the suggestion that it wouldn't be 'appropriate' to do so, this a a question that I'm sure lots of her colleagues have already asked and she will get a pretty fast 'yes' or 'no' to the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well if its a company car I would imagine no is the answer. Surely you would have to be an emplyee of the company to use their car.

Why is that? In 95% the car is used privately too also and subject to BIK. There is no reason why any other named driver is not allowed when the owner does not disallow that.

Advertisement