Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hue vs TP-Link bulbs

Options
  • 17-07-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭

So I was looking into getting some hue bulbs but someone in work recommended the TP link ones instead, his main plus is the lack of the need for a bridge which I dont really care about tbh.

But I was wondering if there are any other pro/cons between the 2?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hue is definitely the vastly superior ecosystems.

They have a far greater variety of bulbs (different sizes, colour, white ambiance, etc.), light strips, switches, light fittings, remotes and sensors.

The Hue bulbs have VASTLY superior integration with various home automation systems. First class, native support on GHome, Alexa, Harmony Remotes, IFTTT, Yonomi, Nest, etc.

Finally I think a hub is better then wifi only bulbs. If your wifi or internet goes down, then you lose control over them. The Hue hub allows you to continue to fully control your bulbs, even if internet/wifi goes down.

Also wifi bulbs use more power to run.

Also what happens if TP-Link go out of business and shut down their servers, your bulbs stop working!

To be honest, I'm of the opinion that wifi bulbs are just toys, fine if you just want one to play with, but I wouldn't fill my home with them. Hue on the other hand is seriously reliable. 90% of the lights in my home are Hue now.

Advertisement