Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9-5 and Freelancing...at same time

Options
  • 17-07-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who may have been in a similar position to myself.

Currently doing a 9-5 in a job that is barely connected to where my skills and training lies (background in video content). Due to family commitments, I fell into my current position, next thing you know it's 3 years later and the career I'm actually good at and really enjoy doing seems to be slipping away.

Since the start of the year I've made concerted efforts on the side to keep my foot in - doing nixers at weekend, sorting my website, making some potential contacts, etc.

Over the last couple of months or so there's been a slight upping of the ante. I got a freelance corporate gig a couple of weeks ago, earning more in 2 days than I do in a week in my current job (which is average industrial wage). But that 2 days meant bullsh!tting my employer into time off at my own expense as the job was during my normal working week. All getting a bit awkward.

Add to that, on the other side, the client for the corporate gig had no idea I worked 9-5. Since all I had was a small window of time for lunch, it made it really awkward arranging phone calls to speak during business hours, etc

I know, inevitably, the day will come where I'll just have to make the leap into the unknown. I do realise the chicken and egg scenario. Me being stuck in an office 5 days a week will always hinder me getting potential work. There's only so much traction I can get via emails and the odd job ad. And the lack of networking is a killer, especially in this field.

After that long-winded spiel...

Has anyone been in a position of trying to work the 2 in tandem? When did you know the time had come where you had to jack in the 9-5? Any advice on how to work the transition? Any advice at all?

I have kids, mortgage, etc, so all the usual fears of giving up the 9-5 are rife.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have you ever managed to earn a regular wage for a long period of time on your freelancing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jersuz

beauf wrote: »
    Have you ever managed to earn a regular wage for a long period of time on your freelancing gig.

No. Then again, I can't say I have tried on any serious level. I did freelance in days before kids and mortgage when a surviving wage was a lot different.

In saying that, my field (video content) has had an explosion in the 3-4 years that I've been doing a 9-5, so it's a very different climate now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Only you will know if you have enough work to replace a regular wage. I assume you have put in place a nest egg to cover months of bills.

Can you go part time, or career break, or even unpaid leave from the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ask for 3 months off unpaid, they can only say no.

Advertisement