Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland Leisure/Road Commissions

Options
  • 17-07-2017 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Looking for some info here - I remember that one of the burning issues after last season was the need for commissions within CI to be set up and allowed run their agenda within the sport. I know that a 4 person Road Commission as set up representing the 4 provinces; the persons in question would be well known within road racing I believe. As to what exactly they do, well that is up to them and I believe they liaise closely with CI on things like the calendar, international team selection and the like. I doubt they get highly paid for their services!

However, is there a leisure commission in place? I think there were attempts to get something up and running but as regards information/communication, I can't find a single thing on the CI website, nothing on facebook and nothing has ever come my way via email as a CI member. There is little or no leadership/governance of the leisure sector despite the apparent need for a commission to fulfil that role last year. Perhaps it was the fact that the licence fee was hiked at the AGM that prompted such interest which is understandable. But is there anything actually happening now?

The technical regs on CI website apply almost exclusively to competitive/race cycling. Hardly a mention of leisure. So given that the bulk of the CI membership is non-competitive (leisure membership) does this in effect mean that the bulk of cycling Ireland's members participate in an unregulated environment? By unregulated, I don't mean "free for all" but rather we must obey rules of the road but everything else is basically up to individuals/clubs to do whatever they please?

So is there a leisure commission, does it have any status or any influence at all?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Was involved in an attempt to establish a leisure commission a number of years ago but it never really got off the ground for various reasons.

Was definitely not helped by a provincial committee (Munster) led by a chairman at the time whose attitude was 'I don't know anything about leisure cycling and don't want to know anything about leisure cycling'. Verbatim quote from a CM AGM at the time.

If a new one is established I wish it every success - it's long delayed and I hope it gets all the support it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

As an officer in our club I had an email in the spring from Dermot Anglin who had just started as the Leisure Development Officer for Leinster with CI, probably not appropriate to share it all here but he was just introducing himself and asking us to keep an eye out for some upcoming events.

I presume he's still there so JK.BMC that's who you should be looking for if you want to talk to someone in CI I reckon.

As to the bigger picture I'm unsure if there's an actual commission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

nilhg wrote: »
    As an officer in our club I had an email in the spring from Dermot Anglin who had just started as the Leisure Development Officer for Leinster with CI, probably not appropriate to share it all here but he was just introducing himself and asking us to keep an eye out for some upcoming events.

I presume he's still there so JK.BMC that's who you should be looking for if you want to talk to someone in CI I reckon.

As to the bigger picture I'm unsure if there's an actual commission

Thanks very much for this.
    The Leisure Commission should be the forum for issues/questions/suggestion for leisure riding/events etc. Same as Road/Off-Road/Women/youth etc etc

Advertisement