Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I decrease the limit on my credit card?

Options
  • 17-07-2017 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I want to pay off my credit card and lower the credit limit on it ... to the lowest it can be

Can someone tell me what the lowest limit is and how to go about decreasing the limit?

thanks a mil 
    Jen 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

I'm nearly sure it's 500 but I actually think you can only have a few hundred 100 if asked in the decrease call customer service 24hr banking to request this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

jenbyrne23 wrote: »
    I want to pay off my credit card and lower the credit limit on it ... to the lowest it can be

Can someone tell me what the lowest limit is and how to go about decreasing the limit?

thanks a mil 
    Jen 
    Hi Jenbyrne23,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

You can pay off your credit card through the 365 online or by calling our credit care team on 0818 251 251.  

In order to decrease the limit you can submit this request through Card care or by calling our credit card team on 0818 251 251 and select option 1,5,2 and then 5.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Thanks 

Kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CVB

What was your limit and what did they lower it to ?

I think 500 is lowest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

They would only let me lower it to 1000 which is a bit crap to be honest. Its handy to have but even at that amount its tempting to keep using it and max it again which i dont want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

bullvine wrote: »
    They would only let me lower it to 1000 which is a bit crap to be honest. Its handy to have but even at that amount its tempting to keep using it and max it again which i dont want to do.
    Think there is a way around that. I wanted a second card with a low limit just for using online. BoI staff told me that I could get a second one but the limit would be reduced on my main card. So I could have got the second card with a low balance and later on cancelled the first. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I have a 350 euro limit on my credit card, its a student card but I finished college in 2006 :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You could ask them to close the credit card account. That way you'd have zero limit and just need to pay back what you owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

You could ask them to close the credit card account. That way you'd have zero limit and just need to pay back what you want.
    I agree. You want a very low limit to ensure that you don't overspend but you seem to suffer from a lack of self control. Perhaps a better idea would be to set up a deposit/savings account and throw a few quid into that every month/whenever you have spare cash. That way, you'll almost always have some spare money there and will never be in debt plus you won't have the same charges incurred by having a credit card in debt a lot of the time.

Advertisement