Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF2017 Stage 16: Le Puy - Romans sur Isère 165KM

Options
  • 17-07-2017 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

CARTE.jpg

Interesting start straight up hill with a somewhat flatish finish and 3 roundabouts in last KM. maybe a day for Matthews to go attack Kittel for the Green jersey points. Strong crosswinds forecast should make things even more interesting. Hopefully the rest day will have done Dan some good and he can get his arse off the saddle

Once the flag is dropped the road starts to go up until Côte de Boussoulet is crested after 20 kilometres. The official climb (3rd category) is 4.5 kilometres at 6.3%. The rolls on and at kilometre 65 the riders are atop Col du Rouvey, which is the highest point of the day at an elevation of 1,250 metres. The climb itself is modest – 2.8 kilometres at 5,6% – before a long drop runs to a gently rolling last section of some 50 kilometres.

PROFIL.png

PROFILKMS.png

TV Times: ITV4 12:30pm Eurosport 12:15pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd like to see Sunweb try and drop Kittel on the beginning climb in an effort to give Matthews a chance at the Green Jersey, this should also ensure a fast start and perhaps some chaos.

Crosswinds also forecasted for the 2nd half of the stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Dear Marcel, welcome to Splitsville. Population: You!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Dear Marcel, welcome to Splitsville. Population: You!

Dan has the best team for riding in crosswinds, he has a real opportunity today to make some ground up if things go his way!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Inquitus wrote: »
    70kph Gusts, 30kph average, crosswinds!

Fap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Longer interview at the end of the ITV rest day podcast with Dan. Sounds like his body's recovered a lot & he won't be as restricted. They talked about the crosswinds for today.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/itv-sport/id1130548463?mt=2&i=1000390002910

I recommend the ITV podcasts. Most of the crew are multi-lingual and although they have some British focus, they love the wider sport & plenty of interviews with all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I wanna see some nice echelons in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,528 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Echelons!

Sorry, I just love the sound of that word.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Quickstep are a man down , lost Gilbert today.

Still maybe we'll get a crosswind move like we saw in the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Quickstep are a man down , lost Gilbert today.

Still maybe we'll get a crosswind move like we saw in the Giro.

Hope they find him again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Oh echelons... this is going to be mega

Breakaway could make it

Most of Quickstep back with a dropped Kittel....

Sunweb are gunning it here, and the group of 40+ off the back are dropping riders.

Aye Dan has been shafted here :(

He has Jack Bauer with him in the main bunch I think

He has Jack Bauer with him in the main bunch I think

1 man not 5 men :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Aye Dan has been shafted here :(

They probably think it's better to protect the green jersey. Sunweb were predicted to absolutely hammer it one of the days to try and force Kittel to miss the cut and get Matthews into the green jersey.

It's not all about the Yellow

But if you try to go for too much you may end up with nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I often wonder how such strong fit men struggle with modest climbs (by pro standards)

Seven Worlds will Collide

I often wonder how such strong fit men struggle with modest climbs (by pro standards)

This is after 2 very hard weeks of racing already
    The speed was mega
    They are trained to be super fast on the flat and therefore are handicapped on the hills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

George Bennett from 12th on GC to quitting... was he sick, did anyone hear? He seemed like a promising young talent up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Dan Martin is 59 kg according to Wikipedia. Marcel kittle is 86kg. On a climb like Stocking lane to the viewing point with no headwind, if Dan climbs at 400watts he'll do it in 11.86 minutes. Kittle would need to put out 528 watts for the same amount of time to stick with Dan. If he climbs at 400 watts he'll do it in 14.74, losing nearly 3 minutes. You can see where the big men suffer
    http://bikecalculator.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Bouhani not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

look at he physical sizes of a climber and pure sprinter. they dont call the Greipel the Gorilla for his love of bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

the aul vineyards look fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Weird logged into my eurosport account (perfect HD quality internet better than home as ever) but commentary in polish didn't expect that. Good job I speak It.
    In Krakow , yeh i know a couple of weeks too early.

Dan not there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Yeah Dan distanced in that move, poor positioning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Dan not there :(

leading the 3rd group a stretch back i think? :(

Advertisement