Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Night Train Services

Options
  • 17-07-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/summergigs

I see Plunkett Station is overlooked again for late night services from Dublin

Im attending u2 next weekend and have too get the train up and make alternative arrangements too get back too Waterford that night due too there being no late train services

any idea why were always overlooked ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A late train on that line would be helpful, for years it has been the case that if you get into the airport after about 5pm you cannot get a train to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

possibly unprofitable, late night buses are regularly poorly used by the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

There are direct buses from Waterford (X4) to Dublin via Carlow, now operated by Bus Eireann which are a lot better than going though south Kilkenny if that is an option for you. They leave before 12:00 but not sure on the return times!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Waterford doesn't have the same operational cost advantages which both Cork/Galway do by default (one example is the signaling system is manned 24/7/365 because it's the main line and must be monitored) but the core problem is unwillingness of IE management to test a service, a concert such as Coldplay and U2 are prefect opportunities.

It's been raised with them for years....

An email to them won't do any harm. (info@irishrail.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

If there was a late night train service I would strongly consider moving back to Waterford full time and commuting to Dublin to work. Its easy to work,study or eat etc on the train so its not really lost time.

I asked Irish rail about it it cost 5K per annum coming out of your gross so depending on your tax bracket it will cost you 3K of your net salary per year or 250 a month approx 62.5 a week which is not bad, when you consider the cost saving of living in Waterford overall.

The only thing really stopping me right now is that the last train would be often too early for me to get to if I need to do anything after work (train, shop, college). I think if the service existed a lot more people would take it as a commuter option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

This not only affects Waterford but also Kilkenny and Carlow. 
    Surely Waterford City and the two towns have the pull to justify a late night rail service?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The Waterford line has always been an afterthought to IR- despite having very decent passenger figures I believe and lower losses than other lines.
    There's no imagination in the timetable with too limited morning/evening commuter services- when passengers actually want to use it most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Waterford doesn't have the same operational cost advantages which both Cork/Galway do by default (one example is the signaling system is manned 24/7/365 because it's the main line and must be monitored) but the core problem is unwillingness of IE management to test a service, a concert such as Coldplay and U2 are prefect opportunities.

It's been raised with them for years....

An email to them won't do any harm. (info@irishrail.ie)

Was just about to suggest e-mailing, enough people query it, they might consider it for concert, you'd need lads on kk, carlow forum to do same obviously.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Was just about to suggest e-mailing, enough people query it, they might consider it for concert, you'd need lads on kk, carlow forum to do same obviously.

You could try but to be honest it will make much difference, IE management could get a 1000 emails and do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are direct buses from Waterford (X4) to Dublin via Carlow, now operated by Bus Eireann which are a lot better than going though south Kilkenny if that is an option for you. They leave before 12:00 but not sure on the return times!

I would stay overnight in Dublin, or not go at all, before I would spend that amount of time on a bus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You could try but to be honest it will make much difference, IE management could get a 1000 emails and do nothing.

If they can run a train profitably, they will.

Max Powers wrote: »
    If they can run a train profitably, they will.

They won't test the market, they will judge how profitable it will be themselves and not bother running it. Trust me this has been raised with them for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

looksee wrote: »
    I would stay overnight in Dublin, or not go at all, before I would spend that amount of time on a bus!

ive gone from regularly staying in dublin, to getting the late night buses, to now, not bothering going to dublin at all. ive had enough of those late night buses, handy service but truly dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sitkaspruce

nothing worse than seeing that open road ahead and then the bus turns off for carlow or even worse mhuine beag

Advertisement