Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tulips in flower bed - want to stop them growing

Options
  • 17-07-2017 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Have had tulips in our front lawn flower bed the last 20yrs. Come up religiously each yr and look great,

The flower bed is approx. 1m x 3m and also has a Japanese maple and another small tree in it. Bark mulch on the surface to suppress weeds and the tulips pop up between it annually

But in the last yr with neighbours cats being let loose, the bed is just a haven for cats crapping in it all the time, so I am looking to covering it up and putting down some small to medium size stones

The plan is to first cover the flower bed area with a sheet of plastic as a base for the stones and also to suppress the weeds. Then cover the whole area with small to med size sharpish stones (approx. 3-4cm size average) in about 2 layers

My question is will the tulips still grow up or at least try to grow up and ruin the stones etc causing bumps everywhere

There are also some crocuses planted but small qty compared to the tulips

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dig the area over and remove the bulbs. It's a small area so no hardship to give the soil a good turning over.

If you don't want the bulbs give them to somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't put down plastic, use weed suppressant fabric, or I suppose for a small area like that some sort of cotton fabric might do. I agree with Srameen to remove the bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Ok thanks to both.... will give it a shot

Advertisement