Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lily beetle. Can I do anything?

Options
  • 17-07-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭

Can't believe I have them. They are chomping through my flowers. Pull and kill the adults by hand. Also killing the grubs and eggs as I see them. Is there any chemical that works? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

From the RHS
    Control

Non chemical control
    Where only a few lilies and fritillaries are being grown, the plants should be regularly inspected from late March onwards so that adult beetles, larvae and eggs can be removed by hand. The lily 'Defender Pink' is advertised as lily beetle tolerant.
    Chemical control
    Pesticides are likely to be more effective on larvae than adults
    Heavy infestations which are impractical to remove by hand can be treated with pesticides
    Organic insecticides containing natural pyrethrins (e.g. Bug Clear Gun for Fruit or Defenders Bug Killer, ecofective Bug Killer (also contains fatty acids)). Several application of these short persistence products may be necessary to give good control
    Synthetic pyrethroid pesticides such as lambda-cyhalothrin (e.g. Westland Resolva Bug Killer), or deltamethrin (e.g. Bayer Sprayday Greenfly Killer) can be used
    The systemic neonicotinoid insecticide acetamiprid (e.g. Bug Clear Ultra) can also be used 
    Plants in flower should not be sprayed due to the danger to pollinating insects
    Inclusion of a pesticide product does not indicate a recommendation or endorsement by the RHS. It is a list of products currently available to the home gardener

Advertisement