Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Base Layer

Options
  • 17-07-2017 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

Going off to Spain with the cycling club shortly.  Was toying with the idea of getting a summer base layer, even though it could be in the mid 30's there (hopefully anyway).  Apparently they help you stay cool by allowing the moisture inside your jersey to 'wick' away and evaporate.  It does seem counter intuitive some-how, adding a layer to help you stay cool !.
    Anyone tried a summer base layer in hot conditions?.  What make did you use, and where did you get it.  Would like to get one in a local shop if I could.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Some other tips for cycling in the heat...

Remember: Put suncream on your back as the sun can penetrate jerseys!

When you stop...always stop in the shade.

Drink lots and lots..always bring two 750ml bottles.

Don't put Suncream on your forehead ...when you sweat it'll run into your eyes! (wear a light cap or bandana under your helmet)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

P20 sunscreen. /thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Don't bother with a base layer. Just open your jersey. I've cycled in 40c heat in Spain. A bottle of water over the head... so very refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Anyone try the underarmour heatgear tops? Been pondering this myself recently. They are going cheap on crc lately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Castelli sleeveless string vest ftw, I wear it on every spin and it works really well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

youtheman wrote:
    Going off to Spain with the cycling club shortly. Was toying with the idea of getting a summer base layer, even though it could be in the mid 30's there (hopefully anyway). Apparently they help you stay cool by allowing the moisture inside your jersey to 'wick' away and evaporate. It does seem counter intuitive some-how, adding a layer to help you stay cool !. Anyone tried a summer base layer in hot conditions?. What make did you use, and where did you get it. Would like to get one in a local shop if I could.

The hot weather rapha base layer is awesome, would def recommend wearing one, i have in spain, france and italy....stops jersey from getting wet with sweat, doesnt cause you to overheat, and it doest get damo....it really is awesome, although expensive....

07Lapierre wrote: »

Don't put Suncream on your forehead ...when you sweat it'll run into your eyes! (wear a light cap or bandana under your helmet)

I use a bit of vaseline to keep the sweat out of my eyes this time of year. Other wise i'd be blinded before I got to the end of our road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Borderfox wrote: »
    Castelli sleeveless string vest ftw, I wear it on every spin and it works really well

Same as I use myself - excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Borderfox wrote: »

I actually ordered a Castelli vest but I think I ordered the wrong one. Not very 'stringy' and it says it is good for 15deg C to 25 deg C. They have a more stringy one that is good up to 35 deg C. That is the one I should have ordered. Bugger!.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aysedasi

I use a Craft Cool Mesh Superlight base light myself.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-mesh-superlight-base-layer/

I find it great for wicking away sweat and keeping my jersey relatively dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Aysedasi wrote: »
    I use a Craft Cool Mesh Superlight base light myself.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-cool-mesh-superlight-base-layer/

I find it great for wicking away sweat and keeping my jersey relatively dry.

Why do ye want the jersy kept dry?
    Surely you sweat into the jersey and then the sun makes it go away, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

there's a superlight sportsful one on chain reaction for about 25 quid.. did me proud on the hols recently.. had my jersey open more often than not so it was good to have a very light layer beneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Why do ye want the jersy kept dry?
    Surely you sweat into the jersey and then the sun makes it go away, no?

+1 The evaporation should actually remove heat as well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I cycle toured in France, Spain and W Africa all just wearing merino wool (icebreaker) tshirts/jerseys. I find them amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

My fav for hot weather at the minute is the DHB Aeron from wiggle. Polypropylene material I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I wore this sleeveless one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-translite-sleeveless-baselayer-ss17/rp-prod80224 on a recent trip to Mallorca. It wicks away the sweat and keeps you cool and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Whatever about baselayers, my concession to French mid-summer sunshine was to wear a buff as a 'sahariane' to protect my neck.
    sahariane_m.png842f8d489c7feed78580fb5fa130aef2.jpg

Advertisement