Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

He is Olympic Champion (2004( and Double World Champion (2005) before this

Oh sorry against Bolt I meant my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I watched 'I Am Bolt' today. Excellent insight into Bolt's training and what he puts up with being the fastest man in the world. It was pretty clear that he was done after Rio. He broke his bollox to get ready for the Olympics after struggling with injury and you got a sense of his relief when he managed to win.

I'm sure he regrets telling everyone a few years ago that he would end his career in London when that city was announced as host for 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

walshb wrote: »
    The start, middle and end..he had started poorly many times.

The power and drive and energy not what it was..

SB time says it all. And his heats showed us this.

Previous slow heats were due to him trotting the last 25 metres.

He said when interviewed afterwards that his start was killing him,it just wasn't there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Delighted for Gatlin - phenomenal achievement at this age. Doping or not doping, I couldn't give a fcuk either way - well done Gatlin, you've worked as hard as anyone to achieve this fantastic victory. In your face goody two-shoes Steve Cram.

On the doping, it is rife naive people and is everywhere. If you don't like it, stop watching sport and turn your attention to arts and crafts or flower arranging but for the love of god change the record. Doping is here to stay, like it or not. On the after effects of previous use....that research was in rodents. Not yet applicable to humans. Great night for people who love sport.

Just no, don't have to accept that. Not even for a second. If the fight for clean sport is over, then sport itself is over. That's how it is to me and I believe, thousands of others as well. The fight against doping might never be won, but it can't be given up on either. Sorry for being naive and idealistic here, but I don't believe in giving up just like that.

If you want to take pride and solace in that display tonight, then feel free, that's entirely your prerogative. But it won't change the fact that that result is tainted, won by a tainted athlete and I am entitled to say that, talk about doping and still love athletics and want it to be better than it is.

bilston wrote: »
    Some anti British waffle there.
    Nope. Just pointing out the facts regarding these championships. They cheered Yohan Blake on the startline, they cheered Christine Ohurougu when she got her medal upgrade, they booed Justin Gatlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I agree with you. We might see him on Oprah's couch like Lance yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Delighted for Gatlin - phenomenal achievement at this age. Doping or not doping, I couldn't give a fcuk either way - well done Gatlin, you've worked as hard as anyone to achieve this fantastic victory. In your face goody two-shoes Steve Cram.

On the doping, it is rife naive people and is everywhere. If you don't like it, stop watching sport and turn your attention to arts and crafts or flower arranging but for the love of god change the record. Doping is here to stay, like it or not. On the after effects of previous use....that research was in rodents. Not yet applicable to humans. Great night for people who love sport.

Just no, don't have to accept that. Not even for a second. If the fight for clean sport is over, then sport itself is over. That's how it is to me and I believe, thousands of others as well. The fight against doping might never be won, but it can't be given up on either. Sorry for being naive and idealistic here, but I don't believe in giving up just like that.

If you want to take pride and solace in that display tonight, then feel free, that's entirely your prerogative. But it won't change the fact that that result is tainted, won by a tainted athlete and I am entitled to say that, talk about doping and still love athletics and want it to be better than it is.

Of course. You are entitled to take any position you want and I respect that. I choose to continue to love sport - I don't give a hoot about dopers/doping. I don't think the feats I'm seeing on tv are fake or tainted because they are physically occurring - the person is actually performing them in front of my eyes. What is not to be amazed at? Market forces and scientific research has proliferated doping as it has medical procedures. This is all good. Athletes are not dropping dead - show me the bodies. Now compare that to the death toll of cigarettes and alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Why do people think the Bolt is doping? Just an honest question that I'd like to hear peoples answers to.

I can't drag this thread down any further so... His links to BALCO chemist Angel Hernandez and controversial German Doctor Healing Hans don't help his case either.

Tbh, this thread has hit joke levels of discussion about doping. Letsrun wouldn't get a look in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Weepsie wrote: »
    There are studies to suggest it alright.

Father time has caught up with bolt apparently. Maybe so, but

How on earth is a man 4 years older doing those times? That's a more pertinent question to ask.

Had Coleman won it wouldve been great however

If so snifinicanty amazing? They should use these drugs on the general population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Not just that list of times, but also think about how many on that list come from the Jamaican sprint team.

It's hard to accept that the fastest of them all was the one Jamaican who avoided what all his teammates succumbed to.

Mullings trained in the US.

Blake substance was actually not banned at the time (and was found to be an ingredient found in a sports drink which was sold in stadium at National championships that had 4 athletes fail the same weekend)

Powell and Carter trained with Steve Francis group.

So actually only one of Bolts training partners is actually implicated.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Weepsie wrote: »
    There are studies to suggest it alright.

Father time has caught up with bolt apparently. Maybe so, but

How on earth is a man 4 years older doing those times? That's a more pertinent question to ask.

Had Coleman won it wouldve been great however

If so snifinicanty amazing? They should use these drugs on the general population.

But they already are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

El Caballo wrote: »
    I can't drag this thread down any further so... His links to BALCO chemist Angel Hernandez and controversial German Doctor Healing Hans don't help his case either.

Tbh, this thread has hit joke levels of discussion about doping. Letsrun wouldn't get a look in.

A quick Google will give you one of the best sports interiews ever with Heredia (Hernandez) about doping in Athletics and sport in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

But they already are!

Must have amazing results?

YFlyer wrote: »
    But they already are!

Must have amazing results?

Wait, you do know that testosterone etc is prescribed by doctors on a regular basis? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you? But yes, the results can be profound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thing that amazes me is the amount of Athletics experts that appear on this forum when a controversial thread opens up, must be a quiet night in the After Hours forum.........#fliesaround****e

OOnegative wrote: »
    Thing that amazes me is the amount of Athletics experts that appear on this forum when a controversial thread opens up, must be a quiet night in the After Hours forum.........#fliesaround****e

Ah but this supersedes athletics. It's almost a current affairs matter.

OOnegative wrote: »

Traffic arrives to a thread when one of if not the most well known athletes of the last decade runs his last race, loses and is beaten by one of the most polarising athletes of the same era. Are you equally amazed by the concept of the sky being blue and water being wet?

Of course. You are entitled to take any position you want and I respect that. I choose to continue to love sport - I don't give a hoot about dopers/doping. I don't think the feats I'm seeing on tv are fake or tainted because they are physically occurring - the person is actually performing them in front of my eyes. What is not to be amazed at? Market forces and scientific research has proliferated doping as it has medical procedures. This is all good. Athletes are not dropping dead - show me the bodies. Now compare that to the death toll of cigarettes and alcohol.

The safety angle would not be my main gripe. Although that said, if doping was allowed to run rampant, then I would certainly fear for the health of athletes from less well off parts of the world where first-rate chemists and medical facilities are in short supply. The doping would be "controlled" is the response that invariably arrives, but how likely is that and what does it even mean?

When all the arguments are threshed otu and reheated, I guess I just naively believe in the spirit of sport where people race naturally and the fastest wins. What about all the gifted athletes who do not want to plough chemicals into their body and want to see how far they can push themselves in a natural state, not by being chemically enhanced in a laboratory? Its mostly for them I think we have to fight for clean sport and, thankfully, I think they're still in the majority though I'd never swear my life on that!

2012 Olympic 100m final
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O7K-8G2nwU

Skip to 2.55. A couple of boo's maybe for Gatlin, but a lot more cheers.

Amazing what 5 years and some sanctimonious moralising by the BBC can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Oh sorry against Bolt I meant my bad

Also beat him in the 2005 200m final

• Advertisement

The safety angle would not be my main gripe. Although that said, if doping was allowed to run rampant, then I would certainly fear for the health of athletes from less well off parts of the world where first-rate chemists and medical facilities are in short supply. The doping would be "controlled" is the response that invariably arrives, but how likely is that and what does it even mean?

When all the arguments are threshed otu and reheated, I guess I just naively believe in the spirit of sport where people race naturally and the fastest wins. What about all the gifted athletes who do not want to plough chemicals into their body and want to see how far they can push themselves in a natural state, not by being chemically enhanced in a laboratory? Its mostly for them I think we have to fight for clean sport and, thankfully, I think they're still in the majority though I'd never swear my life on that!

Your points are valid but the thing about performance enhancing substances of any kind is that they exist on a spectrum. All the inputs for anything from protein supplements to nandrolone are derived from natural sources so where exists the blurry line that differentiates a legal substance from an illegal one? How is that determined?

velo.2010 wrote: »
    2012 Olympic 100m final
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O7K-8G2nwU

Skip to 2.55. A couple of boo's maybe for Gatlin, but a lot more cheers.

Amazing what 5 years and some sanctimonious moralising by the BBC can do.

It's the same at every stadium he runs for the last few years in whether it's Rieti, Hayward field, Ostrava or London so unless the Czech and Italians have a penchant for an English Channel, I'd say you don't watch a lot of athletics.

Your points are valid but the thing about performance enhancing substances of any kind is that they exist on a spectrum. All the inputs for anything from protein supplements to nandrolone are derived from natural sources so where exists the blurry line that differentiates a legal substance from an illegal one? How is that determined?

Well I'm not a doctor or a chemist, or a coach or athlete who's dabbled in these substances, so it's not for me to say where the line is drawn. That's Wada's job and I know it's not perfect but what can I do but trust it? I would agree that the proscribed list can veer on the silly at times, but I'd rather it veer on the extreme cautious side than the other way round.

It's the same at every stadium he runs for the last few years in whether it's Rieti, Hayward field, Ostrava or London so unless the Czech and Italians have a penchant for an English Channel, I'd say you don't watch a lot of athletics.

Referring to the London crowd. Why not boo him out of the stadium in 2012 when he just returned from his ban? Because the BBC's narrative hadn't been told at that stage.

I watch plenty of athletics, thanks. I would guess that most of those in the stadium tonight do not.

Referring to the London crowd. Why not boo him out of the stadium in 2012 when he just returned from his ban? Because the BBC's narrative hadn't been told at that stage.

What? you mean the truth? you'd swear he didn't bring this on himself by denying everything about his past and then running faster at 33 years of age than he did when he was busted.

This all started to happen when he went on that huge winning streak in 2015 and when people with his past do things like that, they draw publicity as people who win do. Of course that's going to piss people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I don't care what he achieved with Wales and the Lions, I don't like him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

What? you mean the truth? you'd swear he didn't bring this on himself by denying everything about his past and then running faster at 33 years of age than he did when he was busted.

This all started to happen when he went on that huge winning streak in 2015 and when people with his past do things like that, they draw publicity as people who win do. Of course that's going to piss people off.

Ah come on! He wasn't suddenly 'more positive' in 2015 or any other year after his ban ended but that's the way is was purported. He has always been a drug cheat but the narrative was created to suit the purpose of setting up a good versus evil storyline for Beijing. The Beeb presenters were stuck in Manchester with a skeleton crew out in China. The races were at odd hours of the day and they editorially went with the pantomime show to draw viewers.

You have to feel for Chris Coleman here. Coming off a great season he just came 2nd in a WC, beating Bolt the goat.

All the reaction is Gatlin and Bolt, yet this is the WC/Olympic champ to come.

Doping observations:
    *don't go there*

De Grasse too. And of course Trayvon Bromell who I think has the most potential.

• Advertisement

Ah come on! He wasn't suddenly 'more positive' in 2015 or any other year after his ban ended but that's the way is was purported. He has always been a drug cheat but the narrative was created to suit the purpose of setting up a good versus evil storyline for Beijing. The Beeb presenters were stuck in Manchester with a skeleton crew out in China. The races were at odd hours of the day and they editorially went with the pantomime show to draw viewers.

Yeah, the beeb but the same happens in every stadium in the world. It reached fever pitch in that run up for obvious reasons, a convicted dope who was unbeaten that year, it was all the beeb brainwashing the world. Gaitlin drew the publicity on himself but it's everyone elses fault of course except the guy who injected testosterscone into his arm.

Rio 100m final 2016.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4gUW1JikaxQ

Steve Cram, the universal language of world athletics!!

Advertisement