Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I suggest you read up a bit on Gatlin's first ban. There's a reason he's still in the sport after 2 bans. Others have got life for second offence.

Anyway, not bothered wasting time with you or this forum really. Don't have much time for it at the moment.

All the best.

I do not like to see people make comments based on their inner prejudices which is exactly what you did in your previous post.

You have been waffling and obfuscating ever since to try and deflect from this fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

torqtorq wrote: »
    I do not like to see people make comments based on their inner prejudices which is exactly what you did in your previous post.

You have been waffling and obfuscating ever since to try and deflect from this fact.

Inner prejudices? What the hell are you talking about. I don't know any of these people personally and do not hate any of them.

Only one waffling is yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why RTE are not showing the athletics they are a disgrace .

Don't think they had any money left after paying Tubs and Darcy!

Well done Mick Clohessy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

I've no TV and wifi crap where I am can any tell me how heir and clohissy did please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

jrkb wrote: »
    I've no TV and wifi crap where I am can any tell me how heir and clohissy did please

Clohissey 22nd place in 2:16:21.
    Hehir 63rd place in 2:27:33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

jrkb wrote:

I'm similar. Any update on Dixon? I was following up to 65 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Neady83 wrote: »
    I'm similar. Any update on Dixon? I was following up to 65 minutes.

She is in the lead pack of 14. They are keeping their powder dry and will burn them off shortly.

A group of 4 have broken away with Amy Cragg - USA - fourth.

She actually looks quite strong.

Lead group split in two with Cragg battling for bronze.

Chilimo wins from Kiplgat and Cragg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Sinéad Diver looked good for 2:32

Listed as 2:33:26 for Sinéad.

Amy Cragg only 15 seconds of her PB. Excellent championship performance.

The Japanese runners performed very poorly when compared to their personal best of 2:21:36 for Ando and 2:23:47 for Kiyota.

Both finished outside 2:30 in 16th and 17th positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Listed as 2:33:26 for Sinéad.

Amy Cragg only 15 seconds of her PB. Excellent championship performance.

Yeah great run by her ( can we claim her!) and Hawkins in men also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

The Japanese runners performed very poorly when compared to their personal best of 2:21:36 for Ando and 2:23:47 for Kiyota.

Both finished outside 2:30 in 16th and 17th positions.

That's the joys of Championship racing. The surging nature despite the slow starts and overall times can cause issues for athletes with fast Pb's. That 16:20(2:17 pace) 5k split from 35-40k blew the race apart, a lot of athletes who come from a strength background like the Japanese will struggle with that kind of rhythm change late in a race even though they have being running well below PB pace before that, just don't have the gears to go with surging paces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Forgot to say, Claire McCarthy ran 2:38:26 to finish 33rd.

That time was just 26 seconds away from her PB in Berlin. Given the conditions and the difficulty of the course, that's a he'll of a performance from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TabletTease

Burial. wrote: »
    A quick Google will give you one of the best sports interiews ever with Heredia (Hernandez) about doping in Athletics and sport in general.[/QUO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That's a damn fine result for Clohissey.  Hopefully, that eradicates the disappointment of not being able to give it his all in Rio.  Any news on Hehir?

By the way, I'd love to be able to watch Eurosport or BBC here in the US. It's great to have any coverage at all, but the commentary and adverts every 2 minutes on NBC are massively frustrating.

Watch IAAF channel on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The BBC got round to finally having a decent conversation on Gatlin and the perception of the sport at present.

And fair play to Michael Johnson for pulling up Steve Cram and the BBC/media on vilifying Gatlin in 2015 and again this week. Cram is such a tosser and couldn't accept the point Johnson was making about the media choosing one guy to represent every problem in the sport - 'what about all the others' as Johnson said.

Johnson said that getting rid of/waiting for him (Gatlin) to retire doesn't automatically make everything in the sport right again.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    The BBC got round to finally having a decent conversation on Gatlin and the perception of the sport at present.

And fair play to Michael Johnson for pulling up Steve Cram and the BBC/media on vilifying Gatlin in 2015 and again this week. Cram is such a tosser and couldn't accept the point Johnson was making about the media choosing one guy to represent every problem in the sport - 'what about all the others' as Johnson said.

Johnson said that getting rid of/waiting for him (Gatlin) to retire doesn't automatically make everything in the sport right again.

Gatlin is useful in the sense that he is like a lightning rod for all the questions surrounding the issue, all the focus can be on him and he almost channels the antipathy. The same way removing Lance Armstrong became the poster boy for the issues in cycling when anyone has to at least have concerns about so many cyclists who finished behind him or, say, Bradley Wiggins, Team Sky etc.

Gatlin himself can have few complaints though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gatlin simply spoiled the party for the crowd favourite

Would have been so much more cheerful had Bolt got silver!

Anyone else notice how the false start rule has really slowed down reaction times? At least it seems like that watching..would have to compare it to previous times to really find out.

I wasn't a fan of the rule, but kind of am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's a joke RTÉ don't show the world championship considering they had the national championships on live to last week. It would be like in soccer showing the Ireland qualifying games for the World Cup but not bothering to televise them in the World Cup.

WVN up now...

Oh, and BG!

Fast 1st heat..

Van Niekerk is poetry in motion!

I can see him going under 43 seconds in the future.

He ran a hard last 50 when he didn't need to...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Van Niekerk is poetry in motion!

I can see him going under 43 seconds in the future.
    I think he is definitely capable of breaking 43 he has tremendous 200 speed and has even a sub 10 100m,it's going to be a cracking final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

IAAF are also streaming on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

walshb wrote: »
    He ran a hard last 50 when he didn't need to...

Looking for a good lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

IAAF are also streaming on youtube.
    If one doesn't like the great british love in,it's also streamed on NBC sports

Advertisement