Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

robinph wrote: »
    Not a lot they can do about it though. The nature of athletics events is that loads of things are going on at once, and they only have a couple of minutes between each track event to fit in a few of the jump throw events. Have to pick and choose who to show and just showing a bunch of jumpers hanging around between each jump doesn't make for great TV compared to the track events.

But you already know that.

They showed every Bradshaw warm-up, replay, hanging around in between attempts, talking to her coach and once she was out showed nothing of the battle for the gold. I know they cant show everything but at least show the leaders battling for the gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Faugheen wrote: »
    Jayesdiem wrote: »
    Johnson is good but still plays to the beat of BBC to some extent. Possibly to ensure the ongoing pay packet into the future.

You clearly didn't hear him sticking it to Steve Cram and the media as a whole for making a villain out of Gatlin.

Gatlin is a villain. Problem is they're not calling out others such as Blake.

Blaming cram for crowd booing is simplistic itself. They should be delighted fans are finally booing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Women's 1500m is the highlight of the day for me, fascinating race. If Dibaba is written off, that leaves 3 realistic contenders for gold - Kipyegon, Semenya and Hassan with Muir a lively outsider for an upset. As one of my favourite athletes, I'd love to see Hassan do it, but not sure why she should be bookies favourite ahead of the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

I'd love to see Hassan do it, but not sure why she should be bookies favourite ahead of the other two.

- Started working with Salazar this year
    - Won all 1500m races ran this year (3 clockings of 3.57 or quicker)
    - PB in 800 this year (1.56)
    - 14.41 500m to show strength for running rounds
    - Has looked tactically very good going through the rounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Ta Lou with the Irish flag. :D

Ta daa:

400x225_381941.jpg?1502091531

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

- Started working with Salazar this year
    - Won all 1500m races ran this year (3 clockings of 3.57 or quicker)
    - PB in 800 this year (1.56)
    - 14.41 500m to show strength for running rounds
    - Has looked tactically very good going through the rounds

That's 5 decent reasons, in fairness, though it's still a bit of a coin flip for me. If they go a crawl again, like they did in Rio, will that suit Hassan? Without dredging up the whole controversy, I actually wouldn't mind seeing Semenya take the gold. Have a lot of sympathy for what she's been through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

For those interested (still), and who would like to review Gatlin's cases:

Demonising Justin Gatlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    No, I clearly did. I've watched a lot of Johnson over the years. I'm not going to form my opinion on one incident.

Yeah agreed but as said before he kind of has to for his payout.
    Sometimes when they're building their 'British' Athletes up though you
    can see in his face that hes thinking what a load of ......, I'm so tired of hearing this.

On another note would've liked to have seen more of the battle for the silver and bronze in the women's 10,000m.

Also nice that Jo Pavey got her bronze from the 2007 world championship. One of the British athletes that I always admired through the years and so down to earth in interviews, no excuses. Such an honest hard worker who finally got the recognition she deserved in the past few years.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'd genuinely like to see Laura Muir do it. She seems very down to Earth and someone who's enjoying her running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

I'd genuinely like to see Laura Muir do it. She seems very down to Earth and someone who's enjoying her running

Shes a terrific runner, straight down to business with her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is there a handy way to find a listing of who's competing each day that has previous drug bans?

The media, who caused the Gatlin issue in the first place, and others criticising the stadium crowd for booing one person but not others need to make that information available in an easy way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You clearly didn't hear him sticking it to Steve Cram and the media as a whole for making a villain out of Gatlin.

I didn't hear it either..He certainly didn't stick it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

robinph wrote: »
    Is there a handy way to find a listing of who's competing each day that has previous drug bans?

The media, who caused the Gatlin issue in the first place, and others criticising the stadium crowd for booing one person but not others need to make that information available in an easy way.

The media didn't cause the Gatlin issue. The guy got caught twice. People aren't stupid. They see Bolt and they see a former doper.

It's also the 100 metres so of course Gatlin will get more stick. Particularly when he's taken Bolt.

Do agree that a large D or something beside each former doping competitor needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

walshb wrote: »
    I didn't hear it either..He certainly didn't stick it to them.

https://www.balls.ie/athletics/michael-johnson-calls-steve-cram-370824

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Djoucer wrote: »
    The media didn't cause the Gatlin issue. The guy got caught twice. People aren't stupid. They see Bolt and they see a former doper.

Absolutely, Gatlin deserves zero sympathy for his bans. I meant the issue of him being the only one getting booed.

The media caused Gatlin to be the face of all dopers by only speaking about him. That is partly out of their control though as there isn't as good a story in taking about a doper who finishes 12 in the hammer compared to one who repeatedly finished 2nd in the 100m in multiple championships and has an easy to pronounce/ remember name.

It is unfair on Gatlin that he is the only person being booed. He should still be booed, but there should be others getting the same treatment as well. Unless the stadium announcer or the printed program tell the audience who is who though it will never happen. 99% of the athletes taking part are totally unknown to most of the crowd, a few might have names that are vaguely recognisable to people from a previous Olympics or something but that is about all that anyone knows of these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

“It’s so important to stay away from anything negative, to surround yourself with positive hard-working people, those who are going to motivate you to achieve your goals."

Spoke to South African Rushwahl Samaii after his bronze medal in the men's long jump on Saturday.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-championships-london-2017-5151/news/feature/men/long-jump

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yoyojonez

Chivito550 wrote: »
    “It’s so important to stay away from anything negative, to surround yourself with positive hard-working people, those who are going to motivate you to achieve your goals."

It'd also be nice to clear 1metre in the pole vault. yo yo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

No Makwala in the 200m. According to the rules, he needs a very good reason why he can't compete tonight but would want to run tomorrow - assuming he has given up on the double and just wants to focus on the 400m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Faugheen wrote:

BBC just showed Gatlin messing around with Linford Christie on the track. Pity Cram wasn't on the mike because he would have said something wouldn't he??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Down South wrote: »
    BBC just showed Gatlin messing around with Linford Christie on the track. Pity Cram wasn't on the mike because he would have said something wouldn't he??

"Ginseng tea"??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

7 or 8 athletes with food poisoning
    5 of those had to be hospitalised
    The outbreak is a hotel where some of them are staying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    I demand a re-run of all affected events :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gave up bothering about the BBC bias years ago,I just enjoy the uninterrupted coverage and Micheal Johnson.

It's not uninterrupted as they keep going back to the studio with Union Jack cushions to discuss British athletes finishing outside medals.

Terrible coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wildgreen

Al_Coholic wrote: »

Do you know if that is that what happened to Thomas Barr and Elaine Thompson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Steve Cram just had the cheek to say Amantle Montsho "...was pipped by Ohurogou in 2013, then served a two year ban, now she's back. Not that welcome I guess"

**** I hate him.

Interesting VT there on Sementa..

Very difficult situation for all involved..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Steve Cram just had the cheek to say Amantle Montsho "...was pipped by Ohurogou in 2013, then served a two year ban, now she's back. Not that welcome I guess"

**** I hate him.

The IAAF have a YouTube stream and Eurosport are also showing coverage, a simple choice and you don't have to listen to Cram. The persistent moaning here is on a different level of annoyance to anything he does.

I personally think the BBC coverage is nothing short of world class and I watch a ton of athletics. They all competed at the absolute pinnacle of their athletic disciplines. They are well informed on the form of the athletes, know what they are talking about and manage to strike a good balance between informing the hardcore athletics fans and the people who just watch because it's the World Championships. They have their bias which is no different to any other national broadcaster(remember the rose tinted Jimmy magee) but the commentary and analysis is second to none, it's the best out there with the added benefit of no ads.

If you don't like, switch the channel to one of the above and your problem is solved.

Omar McLeod flies! Super hurdling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

El Caballo wrote: »
    The IAAF have a YouTube stream and Eurosport are also showing coverage, a simple choice and you don't have to listen to Cram. The persistent moaning here is on a different level of annoyance to anything he does.

I personally think the BBC coverage is nothing short of world class and I watch a ton of athletics. They all competed at the absolute pinnacle of their athletic disciplines. They are well informed on the form of the athletes, know what they are talking about and manage to strike a good balance between informing the hardcore athletics fans and the people who just watch because it's the World Championships. They have their bias which is no different to any other national broadcaster(remember the rose tinted Jimmy magee) but the commentary and analysis is second to none, it's the best out there with the added benefit of no ads.

If you don't like, switch the channel to one of the above and your problem is solved.

a) I don't have Eurosport

b) I prefer to watch my sport on TV rather than YouTube on a laptop or phone.

So in summary, you can shove your smart alec comments up your hole.

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to this 1500..could be a classic. Hoping for sub 4 time.

Advertisement