Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

walshb wrote: »
    Interesting VT there on Sementa..

Very difficult situation for all involved..

That the South African Runner ? I thought that was sorted out and clarified ? Sorry I'm not watching the coverage so didn't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Definitely rooting for Semenya now, have a lot of sympathy for her on a human level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Tough one alright, but when you see them line up you think woman woman woman erm looks like a man in every way . She even talks like a man, tough on her and on the rest of the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The "was she, in fact, a he?" line in it was an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But that was the fact of the matter. That is what the gender testing attempted to sort, and was needed considering the stakes! The reporter saying the line was just saying what happened.

Plus, Caster herself mentioned being queried on being a man..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Go Laura !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

But that was the fact of the matter. That is what the gender testing attempted to sort, and was needed considering the stakes! The reporter saying the line was just saying what happened.

A little more tact was in order. She's been humiliated enough over the last eight years.

A little more tact was in order. She's been humiliated enough over the last eight years.

Fair point, and something I said back in 2009.

Holy fook..

That is why the 1500 is d ultimate test of an athlete..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah laura muir was so so close.

• Advertisement

Tactically Laura got it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I thought Simpson was folding on the back straight, but she came back great in the home straight. I thought Muir's tactics were a bit all over the place.

Great race, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Very exciting race. Thought Muir was booked for silver turning into the straight there, didn't even get bronze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, it was like a Headline from The Sun in the 1980's, totally unnecessary.

Very nice lady is Laura

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great race, best race of the championships so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Holy fook..

That is why the 1500 is d ultimate test of an athlete..

My lungs are hurting after watching that and I'm just sitting here!

Understandable why they call it the blue riband of distance events on the track

velo.2010 wrote: »
    My lungs are hurting after watching that and I'm just sitting here!

Understandable why they call it the blue riband of distance events on the track

Indeed. It's like baby bear's porridge, chair and bed. Just right!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

El Caballo wrote: »
    Steve Cram just had the cheek to say Amantle Montsho "...was pipped by Ohurogou in 2013, then served a two year ban, now she's back. Not that welcome I guess"

**** I hate him.

The IAAF have a YouTube stream and Eurosport are also showing coverage, a simple choice and you don't have to listen to Cram. The persistent moaning here is on a different level of annoyance to anything he does.

I personally think the BBC coverage is nothing short of world class and I watch a ton of athletics. They all competed at the absolute pinnacle of their athletic disciplines. They are well informed on the form of the athletes, know what they are talking about and manage to strike a good balance between informing the hardcore athletics fans and the people who just watch because it's the World Championships. They have their bias which is no different to any other national broadcaster(remember the rose tinted Jimmy magee) but the commentary and analysis is second to none, it's the best out there with the added benefit of no ads.

If you don't like, switch the channel to one of the above and your problem is solved.

The BBC is world class: a world class self-promoter. Are you seriously suggesting that Jessica Ennis had anything of relevance to say about the events? Vanilla doesn't even begin to describe it. Denise Lewis is too matey with the British team to demonstrate anything approaching critical analysis. They are all best mates on a first-name basis. Cram is a cretin. Foster is a cretin. Logan is the cheering ringmaster. It's all "ooohh she was so close" and "he had it just snatched away from him". Johnson is great.

• Advertisement

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    The BBC is world class: a world class self-promoter. Are you seriously suggesting that Jessica Ennis had anything of relevance to say about the events? Vanilla doesn't even begin to describe it. Denise Lewis is too matey with the British team to demonstrate anything approaching critical analysis. They are all best mates on a first-name basis. Cram is a cretin. Foster is a cretin. Logan is the cheering ringmaster. It's all "ooohh she was so close" and "he had it just snatched away from him". Johnson is great.

Would agree with most of that, way too matey. Like Johnson and don't mind Paula either. Cotter ok the guy who interviews after the race ok Jackson is harmless and you can forget about the rest. Coverage is good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

So the Rugby Journo's at the Irish Times are writing about the WC for clicks these days:rolleyes:

As a journalist, you'd think he'd understand the difference between libel and proven

The difference between Gaitlin and Farah and Ayana is that Gaitlin is a proven cheat so can not be defamed for that and Farah has questions to be answered for sure but the situations are completely different.

I also note the hypocrisy of John O'Sullivan who is a Rugby Correspondent yet never covered the strange Cortico scandal at racing metro with Rugby's biggest star Dan Carter involved but I suppose athletics is the easy target right now.

So the Rugby Journo's at the Irish Times are writing about the WC for clicks these days:rolleyes:

As a journalist, you'd think he'd understand the difference between libel and proven

The difference between Gaitlin and Farah and Ayana is that Gaitlin is a proven cheat so can not be defamed for that and Farah has questions to be answered for sure but the situations are completely different.

I also note the hypocrisy of John O'Sullivan who is a Rugby Correspondent yet never covered the strange Cortico scandal at racing metro with Rugby's biggest star Dan Carter involved but I suppose athletics is the easy target right now.

Gatlin is the easy target and the media is bullying him. A world class athlete who has achieved something pretty much unprecedented on a pharmacutically level playing field. Nothing more to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

+1, a nonsense article and given the BBC also did a panorama on Alberto Salazar a couple of years ago they can't be accused of completely digging their heads in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Would agree with most of that, way too matey. Like Johnson and don't mind Paula either. Cotter ok the guy who interviews after the race ok Jackson is harmless and you can forget about the rest. Coverage is good though.
    There is virtually no serious analysis in the Gerry Kieran style,Johnson when he came on board with the BBC a few years ago was much more anitical but he has learned where his bread is buttered...that said this evening he said regarding the British women's hammer thrower,she was ranked 8th coming in and had no realistic chance of a medal,and where was the pressures coming from,the subject was changed immediately....

Braken wrote: »
    There is virtually no serious analysis in the Gerry Kieran style,Johnson when he came on board with the BBC a few years ago was much more anitical but he has learned where his bread is buttered...that said this evening he said regarding the British women's hammer thrower,she was ranked 8th coming in and had no realistic chance of a medal,and where was the pressures coming from,the subject was changed immediately....

Kieran is another great analyst. Always interesting. Makes me laugh too because he says "look it" before everything. A passionate contrarian and we are really missing out because that two bit operation, RTE, can't get their act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Jayesdiem wrote: »

Don't understand the issue here. It's no different here or in the US, the focus is on their own athletes which is what their viewing public would demand.

Steve Cram was a world class athlete who are you to call him a cretin?

They are a British channel whose revenue comes from the British taxpayer. Watch the IAAF feed if you have a problem

Who cares about "analysts" I'm watching for the athletes. Given its a British channel clearly the emphasis will be on British athletes!

You wanna chill to be honest. The above post is embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cracking evening in the stadium culminating in that 1500, super race by Simpson, Muir got it wrong probably playing to the crowd. Brilliant women's triple jump final, nip and tuck all the way. Thomas is actually a good stadium host kept the crowd going. Roll on tomorrow night.
    Disappointing not to see any Irish though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Cracking evening in the stadium culminating in that 1500, super race by Simpson, Muir got it wrong probably playing to the crowd. Brilliant women's triple jump final, nip and tuck all the way. Thomas is actually a good stadium host kept the crowd going. Roll on tomorrow night.
    Disappointing not to see any Irish though

Agree, although I thought Muir was a bit unlucky the way Hassan left the inside open for Simpson to run through - if she had to come outside it would have been much more difficult, and Muir might have medalled. Fascinating race all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Murph_D wrote: »
    Agree, although I thought Muir was a bit unlucky the way Hassan left the inside open for Simpson to run through - if she had to come outside it would have been much more difficult, and Muir might have medalled. Fascinating race all the same.

She lost her medal on lap 2

Advertisement