Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,744 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poster was simply saying that the Johnson example was a different example-era...

keep your knickers on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Itziger

walshb wrote: »
    Poster was simply saying that the Johnson example was a different example-era...

keep your knickers on

Who shat in your cornflakes? Let the poster answer the question. How can you be simply saying it was from a different era? Of course it was, I think there's no-one under 3 years of age posting here.

I would like to know what that implies.

Itziger wrote: »
    Who shat in your cornflakes? Let the poster answer the question. How can you be simply saying it was from a different era? Of course it was, I think there's no-one under 3 years of age posting here.

I would like to know what that implies.

Nobody shat in my cornflakes. I don't eat em'.

Anyway, I got what he meant. You didn't. No sweat.....

It just seemed that you were a little annoyed.

As you say, the poster can clear it all up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Looks like Pollock is out injured :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Itziger

Nobody shat in my cornflakes. I don't eat em'.

Anyway, I got what he meant. You didn't. No sweat.....

It just seemed that you were a little annoyed.

As you say, the poster can clear it all up...

I was a little annoyed, you're right. It's one of those lines that kinda riles me.

No biggie though.

Itziger wrote: »
    I was a little annoyed, you're right. It's one of those lines that kinda riles me.

No biggie though.

Apologies if I riled (or further riled) you. My knickers comment was meant in jest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RayCun wrote: »

Not a surprise that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Not a surprise that.

Have to unfortunately agree, hard to know who is at fault, Pollock himself or his coach. Something not right though, breaking down too often.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Have to unfortunately agree, hard to know who is at fault, Pollock himself or his coach. Something not right though, breaking down too often.

Saying he was in PB shape before this happened. Heard it all before. It's so so easy to say you are in 2:1x shape. Far harder to actually go and do it. Making the start line is part of the game, and Pollock has failed in this regard more than most.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

RayCun wrote: »

Source?

youngrun wrote: »
    Source?

His twitter.

His twitter.

How possible a few days before ? Surely tapering down last couple of weeks? do AAI HP/coach /medics not assess athletes regularly to prevent such happening as much as possible. Very frustrating all round.

How possible a few days before ? Surely tapering down last couple of weeks? do AAI HP/coach /medics not assess athletes regularly to prevent such happening as much as possible. Very frustrating all round.

I'm afraid you'll have to ask him those questions. We don't have the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I'm afraid you'll have to ask him those questions. We don't have the answers.

He seems to never learn from past mistakes, he should know his body limits by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Medical doctors are not subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

He seems to never learn from past mistakes, he should know his body limits by now

He seems to have said it himself that it was high risk

http://www.ppmarathon.com/uncategorized/couch-to-marathon/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Andre De Grasse will not race in London, hamstring tear

Bloody hell, more out. Athletics really gets hit when the big stars drop so close to an event , very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

That's a great read. Counters the "never learns" narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    What would be classed as a successful championship from an Irish perspective? know for some, it might be getting to the final.
    Is there any genuine medal hopes?

Heffernan and Barr are medal hopes but this game is so competitive that Barr could just as likely come 18th as come 3rd. The heats will tell a lot. Rob will there or thereabouts. Outside chance of medal but likely top 6 or so. Mageean and English will be targeting a final. Mageean more likely of the 2. Boyce top 16 could be a good performance. Semi final for Gregan would be excellent result. The rest will be nowhere. Good experience for Siofra though.

Surely he made a mistake in the blog saying his recovery runs are at 6 min per mile, while Kipchoge runs his recovery between 7:40 - 8 min miles!

Pollock now saying he felt he could hit top 10. At some point he's going to have to back up the talk.

What would be classed as a successful championship from an Irish perspective? know for some, it might be getting to the final.
    Is there any genuine medal hopes?

Personally here would be my view of a good performance

Thomas Barr (400m hurdles) -

Making Final would be a solid result from here who knows he has the ability to mix it with the best but the 400m hurdles is a fairly stacked event this year

Brian Gregan (400m) -

Having a great season if he manages to keep that going has a chance of making it out of the rounds which has to be the main aim. After that a PB (45.26) would be a big bonus and from there could start looking at getting closer to Gillick's National Record

Ciara Mageean (1500m)

1500m women is probably one of the deepest fields with Dibaba, Hassan, Kipyegon and Muir arguably among some of the fastest 1500m runners ever, throw in Semenya for good measure and this is absolutely stacked. Should make it comfortably out of heats but the aim will be making the final as a sign of a good performance.

Mark English (800m)

Has done well to come back from early season injury and has been running fairly well. Making Semi's would be a good performance from him

Fionnuala McCormack (10,000m)

Mick Clohisey (Marathon)

PB (2.15.11) will be the aim and as high a placing as that will give him, with championships being more tactical affairs if he can manage this I think it would put him in around top 40 mark

Paul Pollock (Marathon)

Sean Hehir (Marathon)

Similar to Clohisey PB (2.16.18) will be aim and would probably put him in top 60 or so optimistically

Claire McCarthy (Marathon)

With top 10 in Berlin last year she has shown she can mix it in slower races however realistically aiming for a PB would be the goal (2.38.00)

Alex Wright (50km walk)

A bit ahead of Boyce based off time I think he could get close to top 12 if everything goes right on the day big thing will be getting around the full distance

Brendan Boyce (50km walk)

Top 20 performance would be a solid result and top 15 would be a great one but both I feel are well with him though he will want to avoid similar result that Beijing 2 years ago which was his only competitive DQ at a championship

Robert Heffernan (50km walk)

Bit pessimistic here but I think top 8 would be a solid result, I think despite him being previous World Champion that time might be catching up on him a bit. Having said that I would love to be proven wrong and the walk is one event that can go any way on the day with DQ's etc

What do you make of Semenya in the 1500? If the pace is slow going into the last lap, would she have the speed to outdo the likes of Dibaba et al?

Were there the only two to be selected for the womens marathon because of the quota or were they the only two to reach the standard?

Be very interesting to see Semenya tactics. If its a slow first 700m, she will turn it into a 800m race. Pressure is on the others to make it a strong 1500 from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Does anyone know whether Bolt will run this evening in the 100M preliminaries (7pm), or the 100m first round (8.20pm)? And indeed, what is the difference?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

First round. Preliminaries are where you'll see the might of Kiribati vs the Seychelles.

What do you make of Semenya in the 1500? If the pace is slow going into the last lap, would she have the speed to outdo the likes of Dibaba et al?

I think with Semenya its a hard one to evaluate her strengths and weaknesses due to the fact that she only ever seems to do enough to win. Personally her Diamond League 400m this year showed a lack of base speed which would lead me to believe she could be very competitive in 1500m from a strength perspective. She has a 4.01 from last year (she ran 400m (50.74) , 800m (1.58.45) and 1500m (4.10.93) in the space of 4 hours also) so I think she is fully capable of running 3.55-3.56 while also having more base speed than anyone else.

I don't think Semenya will have to rely on the pace to be low to be competitive
    Were there the only two to be selected for the womens marathon because of the quota or were they the only two to reach the standard?

The following women also had the standard

Barbara Sanchez
    Lizzie Lee
    Laura Graham
    Caitriona Jennings
    Breege Connolly

But were not selected for a number of reasons (form, injuries etc)

Mulberry wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether Bolt will run this evening in the 100M preliminaries (7pm), or the 100m first round (8.20pm)? And indeed, what is the difference?!

IAAF rule that if a country does not have an athlete qualified for any event at all in the competition they are able to select one athlete without standard to compete. This is to allow developing countries grow the sport. For most countries (pacific islands and a number of countries most will never have heard of) they opt for the 100m because it is event where they will least be caught out of there depth (losing a 100m by 20m doesn't look as bad or hold up the schedule as much as being 10 min behind winners in the 10,0000m for example)

IAAF in recent years added this round as almost a qualifying into the actual championships. This was to cut down on the need for the likes of Bolt or the US having to run an extra round but also means that the developing countries can have a legitimate race while also having the opportunity to advance to take on the worlds best.

First Irish up tonight Mageean at 7.35

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-championships-london-2017-5151/results/women/1500-metres/heats/startlist#resultheader

Currently 5th fastest in the field on time this year and 3rd fastest in the field on PB should be enough to get through. Would expect Judd, Cichocka and Terzic to drive the pace a bit especially given it's 1st heat so fastest qualifier spots (6 over 3 heats) will not be known what needs to be done. Wouldn't discount Kate Grace or Sifuentes though to race smart and get themselves in a good position to attack a qualifying spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Kamworor to be Farah's biggest threat in the 10,000m? Know little about Hadis who has run the fastest time in the field this year.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Kamworor to be Farah's biggest threat in the 10,000m? Know little about Hadis who has run the fastest time in the field this year.

Preview

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2017/07/2017-worlds-mens-10000-preview-geoffrey-kamworor-gets-one-final-crack-mo-farah-track/

Can't see him being beat this year (and I have managed to convince myself the last 3 years that he was beatable) don't think he is as dominant as the last two years but I don't think the rest have caught up enough. The Kenyan's worked as a team in 2015 and really pushed Farah but I think ultimately it will be Kamworor doing most of the work this time and I think as a result will suffer.

Farah I think is missing his usual kick a bit judging by his 1500/3000m races this year but I don't think that he will need a 52 close to win.

Got Farah at evens on PP to do the double. Easy money.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Heading over for a couple of days this year. Got the 400mH final in and realised the 800m and the flat 400m finals are all on the same night. Should be a cracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Oh dear, Greg Rutherford on duty with Eurosport with Jonathon Edwards. Looks like they've gone full GB on that channel. Think I'll skip that and just watch the live feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Bbc commentators, presenters and pundits are puke tv to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Oh Jasus, the organizers have gone full American with this stupid a cappella singing of the anthem. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Lots of empty seats in the stadium unfortunately.

Why on earth has RTE not got this on live. The biggest athletics event outside of the Olympics.

I'm sure IAAF aren't demanding massive fees for broadcasting rights these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Oh Jasus, the organizers have gone full American with this stupid a cappella singing of the anthem. :rolleyes:

An absolute awful effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Giving both channels a chance but.... The athletics seems to get in the way of BBC talking continuous ****e. Plenty of complaints on Twitter already. Eurosport are actually showing the live coverage but the amount of adverts is ridiculous.

Ciara up now.

Ciara up now.

Ciara in real trouble

Well that doesn't bode well.

Very quick for a heat, though.

Unfortunately nowhere. Heat was stacked..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

McGeehan completely run out of it. That is pretty disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Faugheen wrote: »
    Well that doesn't bode well.

Very quick for a heat, though.

Where did she finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Where did she finish?

Well adrift. She couldn't handle the pace and was at the back and then cut adrift once the pace picked up over the last lap.

Where did she finish?

13th which confirms she is out (6 fastest losers so maximum of 12 could have went through)

Won't be at all surprised if her time is faster than some qualifiers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ciara ran 4.10.60. 6th place in the second heat was 4.09.32, so if she'd been in the second heat, you'd imagine she would have run more evenly and gotten through (as might some other non-automatic qualifiers). Means nothing to her now I'd imagine. Must be heartbroken. When you're teetering on the edge of qualification though, it's always going to be a coin toss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement