Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Bosse can hardly believe he's won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Badly judged race by Langford,as usual I am just ignoring the BBC adulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Smashing race. That Langford guy looks a real talent. He has terrific cruising pace. And what a kick. At 21 he has a great future.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Amos a shadow of his usual self. Has he got a virus also?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not a bad view of the 110m hurdles start last night, even if my vision was a bit blurred!:

424657.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He wasn't even meant to be in the final and was within a couple of centimetres of getting a medal. That's pretty damn good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

WVN a beast...barely out of breath after it..

Anti-climax 400 metres final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Van Niekerk won fairly handily. 43.98 is a doddle for him.

With 100 to go he looked on WR pace. Tied up over the last 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Anti-climax 400 metres final.

None of the other competitors came near Van Niekerk after the race. How come? Seemed very subdued. People going mental for the pole vault meanwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Van Niekerk won fairly handily. 43.98 is a doddle for him.
    Yep, Cram talking sh*te again saying he looked tired down the home straight. In fact, he looked very cool.

The race could still take its toll tomorrow but he looked good to me.

Time for Gabby to call a halt to the Makwala debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Alot of athletes probably wont mention their sickness or illness now !
    Interesting discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Iaaf making a rod for their own back over this Makwala affair. They're now taking their guidance from the NHS over this outbreak. But sure, there are dozens/hundreds of people in that stadium carrying all sorts of bugs. Keeping Makawala away means you then have to screen everyone for a bug before they enter the stadium. Not logistically possible.

Makwala got screwed to satisfy the IAAF's obedience to the NHS. IAAF has set a precedence that surely can't be followed. In future, athletes with any illness/bug will simply avoid the IAAF medical team.

Silly IAAF, common sense should prevail here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Iaaf making a rod for their own back over this Makwala affair. They're now taking their guidance from the NHS over this outbreak. But sure, there are dozens/hundreds of people in that stadium carrying all sorts of bugs. Keeping Makawala away means you then have to screen everyone for a bug before they enter the stadium. Not logistically possible.

Makwala got screwed to satisfy the IAAF's obedience to the NHS. IAAF has set a precedence that surely can't be followed. In future, athletes with any illness/bug will simply avoid the IAAF medical team.

Silly IAAF, common sense should prevail here.

Have they gone completely OTT ?
    Where will it end ?
    I wonder if Sir Mo was ill would he of being stopped running ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

That IAAF woman is a hero.

Medical expert patiently explaining why he wasn't allowed to run. Bizarre to see panel quizzing her on the wisdom of preventing people spreading the virus.

And we're straight in with Mo whataboutery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Djoucer wrote: »
    That IAAF woman is a hero.

Medical expert patiently explaining why he wasn't allowed to run. Bizarre to see panel quizzing her on the wisdom of preventing people spreading the virus.

And we're straight in with Mo whataboutery.

Fooking experts, what would tvey know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

This is a thoroughly idiotic statement.

When an athlete lines up in the final of a major championship with both the slowest PB plus the slowest seasons best time in the field and then proceeds to finish 4th with a new PB then the one thing they most certainly have not done is run a badly judged raced!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

I wonder if Makawla was from GB,USA,would it have been the same outcome?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wildgreen

IAAF statement here: https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/iaaf-statement-isaac-makwala

What would be interesting to know is whether any other athletes had their athlete ID invalidated to prevent access to the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

RuMan wrote: »
    Rugbys not, you could say 10 nations but that's being generous.

Golf is too expensive for most poor nations to play.

Boxing maybe
    If you break athletics down by particular events it's not very global,not too many African or Asian nations doing the pole vault ,hammer,discus etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

RuMan wrote: »
    Rugbys not, you could say 10 nations but that's being generous.

Golf is too expensive for most poor nations to play.

Boxing maybe

There's no maybe about it. Boxing is a global sport...

Golf too...too expensive? What has that got to do with my claim that it's a global sport?

Rugby is a team sport and is played on all "continents."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

walshb wrote: »
    There's no maybe about it. Boxing is a global sport...

Golf too...too expensive? What has that got to do with my claim that it's a global sport?

Rugby is a team sport and is played on all "continents."

To back up your point, Golf majors in the last 10 years have been won by players on all 5 continents.

If anything Golf is extremely difficult to compete it because it doesn't discriminate against people's bodies and anyone regardless of whether they have athleticism or not can be good at it. Athletics discriminates against an awful lot of people from day one because they simply aren't lucky enough to have natural athleticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

Braken wrote: »
    If you break athletics down by particular events it's not very global,not too many African or Asian nations doing the pole vault ,hammer,discus etc

When you look at the builds of these nationalities they're not really suited to most field sports.

When I think of Discus, shot put or Javelin I always think of big burly Eastern Europeans.

With regard to the Long jump and high jump, i think the same as well.
    How many tall African or Chinese people are there for these sports.

The Nigerians or Kenyan's are the only ones who seem to fit the bill but I imagine there isn't enough money in that event or field
    events in general to warrant any really input.
    At least with the running they can take that to any road race in the world and earn a few quid.
    What would a Discus medal do for them other than a bit of glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

S.L.F. wrote: »
    When you look at the builds of these nationalities they're not really suited to most field sports.

When I think of Discus, shot put or Javelin I always think of big burly Eastern Europeans.

With regard to the Long jump and high jump, i think the same as well.
    How many tall African or Chinese people are there for these sports.

The Nigerians or Kenyan's are the only ones who seem to fit the bill but I imagine there isn't enough money in that event or field
    events in general to warrant any really input.
    At least with the running they can take that to any road race in the world and earn a few quid.
    What would a Discus medal do for them other than a bit of glory.

Just for point of reference javelin has had recent champions from Kenya, Trinidad and Tobago and medalists from Egypt, Cuba and even Japan

Likewise high jump two of the top high jumpers in the world are Qatari (home grown not bought) and China

Long and triple jumpers have have south africans, columbians, cubans

If you actually watch the events these are actuallu alot more diverse than most of the running events to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I think the public and media vitriol against Justin Gatlin is disgusting. The man served his ban and paid the price. He is now the world champion, and people need to respect that. Many athletes would have taken a 4 year ban as the end of there career, Gatlin didn't give up, He fought back, trained hard and won the gold. He beat the legend that is Usain Bolt, along with his teammate, the world leading Christian Coleman.

The media has demonized this man for years, pushing the narrative that Bolt is some kind of Jesus-like savior for track athletics,and Gatlin is the devil. They are to blame from inciting and instigating hatred against Gatlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

walshb wrote: »
    With 100 to go he looked on WR pace. Tied up over the last 50.

Tied up? More like started jogging.

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Tied up? More like started jogging.

I may need to watch it again. It looked like he lost some drive and form.

Advertisement