Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But not enough to respect it.

Such nonsense. You certainly do not have to respect him as a champion, and claiming someone who doesn't is a hater is like something my 7 year old would say in a fit of petulance.

No.The Gatlin haters are just mad he beat their golden boy Usain Bolt. There were no boo's when Gatlin returned and was no longer a threat. But then they start to boo when they know he can do it. That is what's childish. Gatlin is a competitor just like anyone else in the race, and he won fair and square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Jesus lads give it a rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Looking forward to seeing Mo tonight.I'm sure he'll just cruise through to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Bosse is great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

tunguska wrote: »
    The funny thing is I was watching the video from the london 2012 100m final the other night. Gatlin was introduced and received a massive cheer, even though his circumstances where identical to what they are now i.e. he'd served 2 bans. That was completely down to how the media portrayed him, so the same people who cheered him in 2012 booed him in 2017. He was literally in the lions den the other night, held his nerve and became world champion. That takes a lot of character and strength. I wonder how many of those people who booed him the other night would have that kind of will and courage........ Renaud Lavillenie was booed in Rio and subsequently fell apart, he was literally in tears during and after the competition. Gatlin didnt cry, he didnt fall apart, he held his nerve in the most antagonistic of environments, even Lord Coe himself jumped in there with the studs and took a pop at him. Any man who can endure that kind of hostility and still come out champion has my respect. We're all sinners, and I venture to guess that in his life, Lord Coe himself has done disgraceful things. Ditto for the booers the other night.

Well said. There is a huge over demonization of Gatlin. His original ban in the early 00's was extremely harsh. There was something in the medication he had been talking since childhood for ADHD. Nobody talked about it until the positive test for testosterone years later, which is far from the worst PED. It's simply a hormone that naturally occurs in the male body. Many Athletes have done far worse and they don't have to put up with half as much crap.

Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.
    Nobody is perfect, we all have our faults. And we would all like a chance to redeem ourselves when we make mistakes in life. Mr Gatlin has worked hard to get back, Where most would have given up, He prevailed, dispite the odds and everyone against him.
    Well there wont be any need to buy hard hats to protect from the flying stones thats for sure. Whylie Coyotes little coctail umbrella would do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Seriously impressed by Makwala, what an effort in both of his races today after everything he's been through in the last few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yohan Blake really a shadow of his former self. Few years ago he would have obliterated these lads!

WVN won't medal..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

That overlap between the 200m and 400m has done it for WVN. Odd scheduling to have both events so close. I think Johnson had a day off when he did it in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

That has been my highlight of the championship so far
    Warholms reaction when he realised he had won was brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Al_Coholic wrote: »
    That has been my highlight of the championship so far
    Warholms reaction when he realised he had won was brilliant
    Agreed, fantastic race, and looked so delighted with it. Harsh on Samba, hit the last hurdle and went from medal contender to second-last

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Stadium announcer for Williams-Mills: "At 35 years young..." :rolleyes:

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That was dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

That was unbelievable
    I wasn't concentrating on Milker-Uibo then I saw her lose her legs
    What a great run by Nasser at 18 to get a silver medal

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

What a cruel thing to have happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Anyone think that was suspicious. She looks at the tv screen and then pulls up. If you pulled your hamstring at that speed you wouldn't be reacting like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Anyone think that was suspicious. She looks at the tv screen and then pulls up. If you pulled your hamstring at that speed you wouldn't be reacting like that.

Kinda looked like she saw the screen and lost focus???bottled it mentally and physically???feel sorry for her though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Johnson said you wouldn't hit you toes on the track in sprinting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Looks like some kind of twinge or injury when you watch in slow mo

Anyone think that was suspicious
    No. She very clearly suffers an injury of some sort. It might be nothing more serious than a cramp or muscle spasm, but when you're pushing yourself that hard, anything can have devastating consequences

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Looked like her quad seized/spasm.

Suspicious? The entire incident lasted half a second. It'd be some acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Looking forward to seeing Mo tonight.I'm sure he'll just cruise through to the final.

Circumstance has made Mo a very fortunate athlete. Had Bekele stayed fit, Mo wouldn't have any gold medals to his name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Quick Q's

So is WVN in the 200 final? What the fck happened to Elaine Thompson in the women's 100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Quick Q's

So is WVN in the 200 final? What the fck happened to Elaine Thompson in the women's 100?

Yes.

She may have been sick or suffered a cramp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

WVN is in the final but he looks hella tired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

“I am going to try to beat my record for sculling a beer. My best is three and a half seconds and my objective is to go lower than three. It’s a great goal, and I know that I can do it. It’s my day after all.”

Was a real pleasure to do an IAAF feature on 800m champion Pierre-Ambroise Bosse of France, a true banterhound.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-championships-london-2017-5151/news/feature/men/800-metres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Circumstance has made Mo a very fortunate athlete. Had Bekele stayed fit, Mo wouldn't have any gold medals to his name

If my aunt had balls....

Half the job of an elite athlete is staying fit and peaking for major championships. Mo does it consistently as (until now) has Bolt. That's what makes them great champions.

Yeh, same way had EL G not existed then Bekele would have done the double in Athens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    “I am going to try to beat my record for sculling a beer. My best is three and a half seconds and my objective is to go lower than three. It’s a great goal, and I know that I can do it. It’s my day after all.”

Was a real pleasure to do an IAAF feature on 800m champion Pierre-Ambroise Bosse of France, a true banterhound.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-championships-london-2017-5151/news/feature/men/800-metres

Great Article.

I love this quote
    "“I’m a bit of a gambler and today I gambled. I put everything on red,”

This is what running should be for everyone, when your going for a time, don't play safe go all out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

walshb wrote: »
    Yeh, same way had EL G not existed then Bekele would have done the double in Athens.

That 5,000m!

Advertisement