Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Crazy race, given that the womens Steeple had kicked on so much this year didn't think Coburn stood a chance of a medal let at alone a gold but Frerichs has to be the biggest surprise medal of the championships so far.

1st time since 1980 that Europe has had both men and womens 200m champions at a global championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Fair play to Schippers for not bottling it when Ta Lou came to her. Many others would have tied up and thrown it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

RayCun wrote: »
    It's a steeplechase!
    You have to do the water jump!
    :pac:
    where was her head?

Wherever it was it cost me €380

She might not have won either way though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have never seen that before. One white athlete beating 7 black athletes in a major sprint race. Gotta be a first..

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    I have never seen that before. One white athlete beating 7 black athletes in a major sprint race. Gotta be a first..

you mustn't have watched the men's 200m last night then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

glasso wrote: »
    you mustn't have watched the men's 200m last night then!

FFS..

Like Dublin Bus..wait all day for a bus and two come along together...

1st time since 1980 that Europe has had both men and womens 200m champions at a global championship.

and that was the Moscow boycott Olympics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Summer_Olympics_boycott

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

glasso wrote:
    and that was the Moscow boycott Olympics.

To be fair Pietro Minnea was World Record holder at the time. And Wells beat most of the missing contenders in Germany a few weeks later.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

rom wrote: »

Good man Chivitto, more than respectable result & flying the Irish flag well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Crazy race, given that the women's Steeple had kicked on so much this year didn't think Coburn stood a chance of a medal let at alone a gold but Frerichs has to be the biggest surprise medal of the championships so far.

Surprise would be one word to describe it alright, considering she knocked something like 16 seconds of her pb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No she apologised because kori Carter said the word "spastic" in an interview. It's not considered a derogatory term in the USA.

Like handicapped in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Michael Johnson advocating racing best way to improve in races.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

she didn't negatively impede
    I've no time for her the way she spoke about Caster Semenya , Dunno how anyone can watch the BBC it's dirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭unichick

I've no time for her the way she spoke about Caster Semenya , Dunno how anyone can watch the BBC it's dirt

What did she say? Lyndsey Sharp back in it. Her eyes were closed. It must be so frustrating to run against those 3.

Delighted Dafne won. Love her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good man Chivitto, more than respectable result & flying the Irish flag well.

Haha, slightly worrying for Irish athletics that the Media 800m is where our medal hopes lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Delighted to see Schippers take gold, she's a complete powerhouse runner...but my god....
    Ta Lou can anyone think of another athlete that has been so unlucky thru their career at major championships?

Koobcam wrote: »
    Surprise would be one word to describe it alright, considering she knocked something like 16 seconds of her pb

Given its her first year professional under a new coach its quite plausible especially given she has shown improvements in cross and 5k already tgis year

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Very exciting relays this morning, plenty of drama. Batons being dropped, athletes falling and tripping each other.

Very odd interview from the GB Men's 4x4. Martin Rooney was very critical of Hudson Smith saying how he needs to get his head right and withdrew himself from the team. If there is an issue in the team I'm not sure live TV is the best place to place to raise it. Que plenty of discussion in the BBC studio

The Brits have not had the success I expect, a good few fourths but only 1 medal so far, but I think the relays are in line to deliver 3 as long as they get the batons round, possibly all 4 if the Mens's 4x4 can sort themselves out.

I've enjoyed the champs on the whole. I thought schedule was a bit light but it has given more exposure to the field events which is no harm. Two very exciting long jumps, looking forward to the high jumps. Delighted to see Schippers win the 200, she held herself together well to hold of Ta Lou, Miller Uibo was finishing like a train.

I wonder what will happen Jamaican male sprinting with Bolt's departure? Blake seems to be past his best, Powell has never really delivered, who else is there? They will do well to win the 4x1 tonight, the Yanks looked very impressive.

I was stunned by the performance of the US ladies in the steeplechase, I'm not sure where those performances came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Lirange

Caprica wrote: »

I was stunned by the performance of the US ladies in the steeplechase, I'm not sure where those performances came from.

Coburn is the Olympic bronze medalist, and like Jager, was making the East Africans look over their shoulders the last couple years. Frerichs is the surprise bolter in this race.

Given its her first year professional under a new coach its quite plausible especially given she has shown improvements in cross and 5k already tgis year

Girl from Argentina also lowered her PB, and the South American record, by 16 secs. It helps when you have Jebet setting a blistering pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Irish manager (Patsy M) gave an interview to Greg Allen on Radio 1 today. Thought it was quite harsh. Anyone else hear it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

honeybear wrote: »
    Irish manager (Patsy M) gave an interview to Greg Allen on Radio 1 today. Thought it was quite harsh. Anyone else hear it?

What did he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

KJT always looks worried.

Some tasty women in that high jump.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Think Cunningham's son was a pretty decent high school quarterback and a college high jumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Think Cunningham's son was a pretty decent high school quarterback and a college high jumper.

He's a senior this year at USC.

2 horrible sycophants on now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Morgan Lake looks like she's almost talking herself out of the jump before she does it. She never looks confident.

Advertisement