Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

The record holders are already Olympic champions

The overemphasis on times has been to the detriment of the sport, particularly in the marathon. Athletics is about competition and performing on the biggest occasion which Mo has done consistently. Records will always be broken, an Olympic medal lasts forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭S.L.F.

Maybe it was an audition for his future acting career.... He was definitely injured

I don't know, it surely read for a dramatic parting headline and detracted from deflating bronze medal headline or possibly 4th place and being beaten by outsiders...\o/

@ my evil mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

S.L.F. wrote: »
    I don't know, it surely read for a dramatic parting headline and detracted from deflating bronze medal headline or possibly 4th place and being beaten by outsiders...\o/

@ my evil mind

Ya you have a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

pc7 wrote: »
    Is Mo in trouble

He has been since his door bell stopped working.
    RuMan wrote: »
    Mo owes sport nothing, one of the best championship runners of all time.

Nothing, apart from what should ordinarily be a few simple explanations.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He has been since his door bell stopped working.

...since he got poked in the eye ya mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

The BBC were saying it was the 3rd fastest time ever. But looking back at some of Jamaica's times over the years shows the BBC are full of sh1t.

As per previous posters, it seems to be at best the 14th or 15th fastest time ever run. At a stretch you could say they are the 3rd fastest National Team ever.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The 50K walk is not on the BBC and the bbc website is not giving any updates.
    Does anyone know how its going and how I can find out more ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

huskerdu wrote: »

Gone through 20K

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-championships-london-2017-5151/live#timetableDetail/Result/24499

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Eurosport has it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Eurosport has it

Or if you don't have Eurosport, there is the IAAF channel in youtube, seems to be open access, that's how I watched the 5000m last night:

https://www.youtube.com/user/IAAF2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Heffernan has been lapped. Some going by Diniz. Relentless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Heffernan finishes 8th. Where did Diniz pull that out of at 39, 8 minutes clear of the field?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Heffernan finishes 8th. Where did Diniz pull that out of at 39, 8 minutes clear of the field?

He was favourite going into race, fastest time this year and slower than his 2014 Euro Championship winning time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,010 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If Bolt was thinking of getting into acting now that his athletic career is over, then that was a terrible audition last night. Sorry, but for me what happened there in that race stinks to high heaven. The timing of it, in his last race and given where he was he knew gold and silver were gone. If he did that on purpose then it was selfish as he cost his teammates a bronze medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

sligeach wrote: »
    If Bolt was thinking of getting into acting now that his athletic career is over, then that was a terrible audition last night. Sorry, but for me what happened there in that race stinks to high heaven. The timing of it, in his last race and given where he was he knew gold and silver were gone. If he did that on purpose then it was selfish as he cost his teammates a bronze medal.

Anybody who thinks an athlete like Bolt is going to fake an injury and let his teammates down and do them out of a medal is utterly clueless. Par for the course on this forum though.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks an athlete like Bolt is going to fake an injury and let his teammates down and do them out of a medal is utterly clueless. Par for the course on this forum though.

Yohan Blake has another take on the injury

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/usain-bolt-injury-relay-career-retirement-jamaica-team-furious-delay-video-watch-yohan-blake-a7890651.html

well that would make more sense since he defo didn't look like a man with a pulled anything walking out of the Arena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

“I just had to trust the process and that I would eventually progress. I believed in my coach and I just did what he said. He’s a great coach and I couldn’t be happier with how everything has turned out.”

Spoke to Netherlands' Dafne Schippers after she defended her World 200m title in London on Friday night.

https://www.iaaf.org/competitions/iaaf-world-championships/iaaf-world-championships-london-2017-5151/news/feature/women/200-metres

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Chivito550 wrote: »

Yohan Blake has another take on the injury

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/usain-bolt-injury-relay-career-retirement-jamaica-team-furious-delay-video-watch-yohan-blake-a7890651.html
    Yet 30 other people went through exactly the same process and made it round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

robinph wrote:

So it would only be a valid complaint if 30 people got cramp?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

robinph wrote:

So it would only be a valid complaint if 30 people got cramp?
    Or maybe he was spending too long high fiving a bloke in a hedgehog outfit rather than preparing for a race. Not like he's not been through identical situations many times before.

There wasn't a significant delay in proceedings last night and it wasn't cold. The difference for Bolt though, compared to the rest of them, is that he may have switched off and already been in retired runner mode.

Who would wanna be an elite athlete? accused of choking, faking injury, not being professional. Amazing how one week can undo 10 years in the eyes of fans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

Exciting day of walking. Diniz was very impressive in the 50k, he was getting faster as the race went on and won by 8 minutes. Rob Heffernan finished very strong, I joined after the 30k mark and he was just outside the Top 20 but pulled back to 8th. One thing that did concern me about Heffernan was him talking about his friendship with the doper Fernandez and complementing his technical expertise. Is that really appropriate?

The ladies contested their first 50k in a global championship, only 7 athletes turned up and two were not allow finish, I'm thought it would get a bigger field. The US had 3 athletes and they have no race walk pedigree and only 1 European. Gold to Portugal in a WR time.

The 20k's were won by China and Colombia. The Brits were talking up their guy but he needed up being DQ'ed, Paula and Steve didn't seem very comfortable commentating. A Russian walker came second, I hope he is clean.

The Beeb had an interview/press conference with more criticising the media and their reporting on the allegations about him. Paula was a little critical saying that he didn't help himself by not talking to the media.

Roll on the last evening of athletics. I wonder wil their be any more surprises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Caprica wrote: »

The ladies contested their first 50k in a global championship, only 7 athletes turned up and two were not allow finish, I'm thought it would get a bigger field. The US had 3 athletes and they have no race walk pedigree and only 1 European. Gold to Portugal in a WR time.

Was added so late to the Championship that there were only 5 who had the qualifying time (4.30). The other two athletes were there based on being Area Champions (Rosa and Randall)

Who would wanna be an elite athlete? accused of choking, faking injury, not being professional. Amazing how one week can undo 10 years in the eyes of fans :rolleyes:
    Or maybe rather than any conspiracy theory he just had a cramp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Be hard to double up in the walk :)

Talk about sensationalising, nobody is saying he hasn't been a super duper athlete all his life. I certainly wouldn't blame him for checking out before these Championships. Hes given everything, his body is ageing from his sport and effort.
    Hes been clubbing after the 100m final and going around acting like a showman before his races.
    I've seen him acting more seriously.

Maybe he did cramp or maybe he just had enough already.

robinph wrote: »
    Or maybe rather than any conspiracy theory he just had a cramp?

Quite possibly

DNS are quite common with sprinters though due to poor organisation at events that are non championship (significant delays affecting warm up routine and injury risk etc) . Plenty of people here just seemed very quick to dismiss as feigned injury which is a discredit to a great ambassador of the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Advertisement