Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Really disappointed for Mageean. She's one of my favourite ever Irish athletes and it hurts to see her perform like that when there seem to be no logical reasons for it. Would have been nice to see some analysis on RTE to figure out what went wrong, particularly some input from Jerry. Where does she go from here? Just hope she can pick up the pieces, she's clearly way better than that.
    Pity RTÉ couldn't put together even a highlights package,with some analysis from jerry and crew why Magee and English bombed yet again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Missed the race so can't comment on the tactics regarding English but it is worth nothing that this and heat 2 were the stacked races of the round.

Amos is favourite to win and Bosse and Kszczot should be challenging for the minor medals.

Not a bad lane draw with WVN and Merritt on his inside hopefully will spur him on to get out hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Not a bad lane draw with WVN and Merritt on his inside hopefully will spur him on to get out hard.
    He ran to his strengths in the heat but will have to run sub 45 to have any chance of a final..can't see it happening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

Missed the race so can't comment on the tactics regarding English but it is worth nothing that this and heat 2 were the stacked races of the round.

Amos is favourite to win and Bosse and Kszczot should be challenging for the minor medals.

Heat 6 was equally stacked with 4 sub 1:44 runners.

However Guy Learmonth qualified from this heat despite only having a personal best of 1:45:77. He did this by positioning himself in 2nd place from the get go to eventually finish 3rd.

English trailed round towards the back from the get go as did Mageean.

torqtorq wrote: »
    Heat 6 was equally stacked with 4 sub 1:44 runners.

However Guy Learmonth qualified from this heat despite only having a personal best of 1:45:77. He did this by positioning himself in 2nd place from the get go to eventually finish 3rd.

English trailed round towards the back from the get go as did Mageean.

To be fair to heat 6 despite the PB's Aman and Tuka have gone off the boil the last two years and are shadows of their former themselves. Brazier is a huge talent no doubt.

English tends to always trail at the back of races and come good in the sprint sadly not to be today though given his issues this year this might have been down to simple lack of strength in the later stages given his 2 second positive split.

Braken wrote: »
    He ran to his strengths in the heat but will have to run sub 45 to have any chance of a final..can't see it happening

Gonna be a huge ask especially given the tough qualifying (2 Auto and 2 fastest losers) means he will have to close to NR to stand a chance of taking a fastest loser spot IMO. Still I think the lane draw could be good for pushing him to a PB

Aman finished 2nd in heat 6!

torqtorq wrote: »
    Aman finished 2nd in heat 6!

Sorry when I say off the boil I mean might just challenge for a final spot but not the athlete who used to push Rudisha.

His semi final draw is fairly favourable though and given he has moved away from OTC which he struggled under last year he well could have a change in form but I think Brazier, Rotich, Amos, Bosse, Korir will be the guys challenging for the medals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

The boo-ing of Gatlin annoys me. It's only justified if all the other drug cheats get the same, but they don't. Why should one guy be a scapegoat for all the cheats who are back competing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The boo-ing of Gatlin annoys me. It's only justified if all the other drug cheats get the same, but they don't. Why should one guy be a scapegoat for all the cheats who are back competing?

High profile repeat offender

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great, another Mo Farah montage. Was he racing last night? i think the BBC failed to mention it?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Brendan Foster should just ride him and get it over and done with

ISOP wrote: »
    Brendan Foster should just ride him and get it over and done with

He tried knocking for a booty call one night but Mo didn't hear the doorbell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It seems to me to be a bit hypocritical of Cram to criticize the crowd for booing Gatlin when it was pretty much the BBC coverage of 2015 WC and 2016 Olympics that is the reason for it, particularly his commentary of the Beijing 100m final and Brendan fosters idiotic dancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Cant stand to see justin catlin being booed like that. Its ugly and reflects badly on the british public. Especially considering their hero Mo is......well the words Le juice come to mind.

tunguska wrote: »
    Cant stand to see justin catlin being booed like that. Its ugly and reflects badly on the british public. Especially considering their hero Mo is......well the words Le juice come to mind.

:eek:

You can't be saying that its not as if there have been questions raised regarding any of the following;

https://twitter.com/MoDoorbell/status/891625629166292992
    https://twitter.com/MoDoorbell/status/891625847165243392
    https://twitter.com/MoDoorbell/status/891626297880915968
    https://twitter.com/MoDoorbell/status/891626595164835840
    https://twitter.com/MoDoorbell/status/891626866217549824
    https://twitter.com/MoDoorbell/status/891627390723555328
    https://twitter.com/MoDoorbell/status/891647148592431104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Albeit a minor offence, Blake has a doping ban to his name and got an enormous cheer off the local crowd. Enough said really.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Albeit a minor offence, Blake has a doping ban to his name and got an enormous cheer off the local crowd. Enough said really.

Have to say he looked good, great start and in control. Think he could be a dark horse to push WVN in the 200.

Feel sorry for Sani Brown, slipped coming out of blocks and another slip trying to stay on his feat, great talent at 18 I thought he might scrape into final with his first sub 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

Bolt and Coleman eyeing each other on the finish line...
    Gonna be a good final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

It will be interesting to see if Jessica Judd front runs the first semi of the 1500m as she did last night in her heat to set a new PB of 4:03:73.

Her PB is only 10th fastest of the 12 athletes in the first semi this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bolt still looking sluggish..

This final could be a "slow" one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

4Ad wrote: »
    Bolt and Coleman eyeing each other on the finish line...
    Gonna be a good final.

I think it's Bolt, Gatlin had him beaten last year except he dipped to early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Might Bolt try and take a flyer off the start to beat Coleman? He knows his body well at this stage and may feel he can't catch Coleman in the final. If he false starts he can save face by not being actually beaten in his final championship race (though he was beaten in the SF, but you know what I mean)

Just a theory!

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Might Bolt try and take a flyer off the start to beat Coleman? He knows his body well at this stage and may feel he can't catch Coleman in the final. If he false starts he can save face by not being actually beaten in his final championship race (though he was beaten in the SF, but you know what I mean)

Just a theory!

No. I think when Blake beat him he was genuinely nervous and of not being able to catch him if he didn't get a good start.

This year Bolt looks like he is controlled and confident. I think Gatlin, Blake and Coleman will be challenging for minor medals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Dibaba had a shocker!!!

Laura Muirs chances of a medal appear to have improved after that race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

OOnegative wrote: »
    Dibaba had a shocker!!!

Yep.Muir strolled through..Delighted.
    Judd was wrecked at the end but thrilled,seems such a nice person...

Advertisement