Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to London....... Build up to World Championships mod notes #342 and #653

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

As a casual viewer of athletics, I’m wondering why 100m semi-finals and finals are run on the same day. I would have assumed the organisers would like to maximise the chance of a fast winning time, if not a championship/world record in the final, and I would have thought this more likely if the runners were fresher. Or is it the reverse – that the semi-finals, though intense, actually act as a warm-up, so those who make it to the final without injury are poised to run their fastest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

torqtorq wrote: »
    Laura Muirs chances of a medal appear to have improved after that race.

Hassan, Simpson, kipyegon and Semenya would be more than happy to sit on her and kick come the final.

As a casual viewer of athletics, I’m wondering why 100m semi-finals and finals are run on the same day. I would have assumed the organisers would like to maximise the chance of a fast winning time, if not a championship/world record in the final, and I would have thought this more likely if the runners were fresher. Or is it the reverse – that the semi-finals, though intense, actually act as a warm-up, so those who make it to the final without injury are poised to run their fastest?

Generally Semi's tend to be a rust buster. Most of the Diamond League Events actually have heats also before televised so most 100m sprinters are regularly running twice in an evening.

Gutsy move from Klosterhalfen pity to see it not come off but you have to give it to her for her courage. Huge talent with no fear. I reckon there is a bright future for her especially with her range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hassan, Simpson, kipyegon and Semenya would be more than happy to sit on her and kick come the final.

She looked very comfortable after the race as opposed to her teammate who was wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

She looked very comfortable after the race as opposed to her teammate who was wiped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Does anyone find else BBC commentators a little hard to listen to when shyting on about their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

lawred2 wrote: »
    Does anyone find else BBC commentators a little hard to listen to when shyting on about their own?

If I could make a suggestion!

Why not start a thread where everyone that wants to unleash their inner "kevin Myers" can do so without polluting this athletics thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

they are unbearable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If I could make a suggestion!

Why not start a thread where everyone that wants to unleash their inner "kevin Myers" can do so without polluting this athletics thread.

erm... are you sure you meant Kevin Myers? Would have thought this BBC coverage would be right up his street. Either way - relax - I've nothing more to say on the coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭torqtorq

erm... are you sure you meant Kevin Myers? Either way - relax - I've nothing more to say on the coverage.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Don't get the BBC hate at all, think it's excellent coverage.

Complaining that they're showing favouritism to their own is ridiculous. That's what they're supposed to do.

My heart wants Huddle to redeem herself here for Beijing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I have been watching BBC Athletics coverage since the Munich Olympics in 1972 and they have always been the same.It doesn't really bother me anymore as it's great to have the uninterrupted live coverage.

Doesn't look like a bad season debut for Ayana anyway:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Lazare

Insane, really hope she keeps this pace up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is she clean though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Is she clean though?

No, she's sweating buckets at the minute!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Talk about needing to suspend disbelief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Is she clean though?

Odds on for a wee in a bottle after that victory ;)

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    No, she's sweating buckets at the minute!!!

Bbc commentator saying she pulled out of 2 races this year. Makes you wonder why.
    All you can hope is that the blood passport will show up any issues at a later date.

Pretty sad state of affairs for athletics when a multiple cheat like Gatlin is still taking part.
    Corruption seems to be a huge problem in the running of many of these sports with many of the administrators on the take. Amature boxing having the same issues.

Why are drug cheats allowed to race again? Surely all winnings should be claimed back. Just not being taken seriously by the authorities.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't think you can legally hand out life bans for every doping offense. I don't think you should in any case, but they wouldn't be able to do that I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

These threads are insufferable with this incessant drugs sh1te talk...

Can you just sit back and enjoy the spectacle being provided by the best athletes on earth.

Separate: Rewatching Bolt's 2009 WR runs...D greatest display of fluid power technique running get in history!

Often wonder why people continue to watch if the first comment they will make is "the won by miles can't be clean". I am all for healthy skepticism and looking at things critically but I think also need to look at other aspects (race tactics moves etc). We are probably the only sport that finds it hard to take any postive before tearing down.

A bit like pro wrestling, just because its fake doesn't mean that it can't have entertainment value for its fans.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't think you can legally hand out life bans for every doping offense. I don't think you should in any case, but they wouldn't be able to do that I don't think.

Why not? Surely the IAAF set their own rules and athletes should sign up to agree. I know there is a fine line between being clean/not with various supplements but there seems to be no desire to punish athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Superquinn

walshb wrote:
    These threads are insufferable with this incessant drugs sh1te talk...

walshb wrote:
    Can you just sit back and enjoy the spectacle being provided by the best athletes on earth.

The lack of questioning by the respected BBC is shambolic. The booing for Gatlin was just glossed over. Mo's performance, despite him being at retirement age wasn't questioned, nor was his coach. It's the same for the TDF. Commentators don't mention the obvious. More concerned about keeping in with the powers that be

Superquinn wrote: »
    The lack of questioning by the respected BBC is shambolic. The booing for Gatlin was just glossed over. Mo's performance, despite him being at retirement age wasn't questioned, nor was his coach. It's the same for the TDF. Commentators don't mention the obvious. More concerned about keeping in with the powers that be

Wonder will you hear about Daley Blind being non compliant with testers after Europa Cup final from pundits during the super cup, or will Sky mention the missing test samples from Westmeath GAA during the SFC games this weekend.

Its not specific to the "dirty" sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mo's performance was brilliant. Was not unbelievable...

These people are the best on planet earth, and many are doing things that are actually humanly possible. Their true brilliance gets lost by so many who cannot see them for what they are or appreciate them for what they do. It's sad, but not surprising..boils down to ignorance and stupidity most of the time..

Back to the action.. LJ over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Commentators probably don't mention the obvious cause they don't want to get there ass sued for saying something which very well may be true but there's fcuk all evidence to back it up sometimes. All the stuff on Farah is pretty damning but has he failed a drugs test, no, so commentators have to watch the old p's and q's I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

They are in a difficult position in fairness. They don't want to be talking down an event they have paid big bucks for and risk losing audience share.

Plus they have no proof they are cheating thus could be bad mouthing a genuine athlete or face a legal threat.

Unfortunately it does nothing for the sport. Ayana was half a track length ahead tonight and looked comfortable. Multiple athletes/winners are being caught at a later stage.

The bbc showed a clip the other night for a women's race from London '12. 7 of the first 8 home have been caught since or implicated in a doping programme.

Advertisement