Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this ugly facade covering Dublin buildings??

Options
  • 17-07-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what the facade is on front of the building in the photo attached? It's sort of a horrible faux patchwork block effect. I see this all over Dublin in the inner city and the older suburbs like Crumlin. The attached photo is of the facade on the front of a 1940s poured concrete house, but I often see the same thing covering up beautiful 1920s (or earlier) brickwork. It's hideous! Anyone know what it is? What's it made of? Does it have any benefit as insulation or is it purely cosmetic?

I'd like to know what it is to satisfy my own curiosity but, aside from that, I've been looking to buy a house lately and am wondering what the cost might be of removing a facade like this and what the implications would be for the structure underneath. Anyone have experience of this? What is it bonded to the surface with? I presume removing it would cause significant damage to any brickwork underneath.

I've been searching and searching on the internet but can't find anything, so hoping maybe some some architect/builder types on here can help!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

That is exactly what is on the front of the house I am renting. I actually thought that was my house for a sec !!!. It was acceptable in the 80's op. !

Vera Duckworth had it put on her house in Coronation Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It only looks classy when it's bright yellow...
    And the one in your pic is..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

In the 1970s when this was the rage, it was called "Eurostone". Each "brick" was made by filling a mould with coloured render. People would typically paint between the "bricks" black and then paint it with a couple of coats of yacht varnish to "conserve" the colour.
    If you want to remove or cover over this, you have two options. The first is to take a kango hammer to it and then apply a new render. Alternatively, an exterior insulation could be applied. A render is then put on top of the insulation. The SEAI will pay you a grant of €2,250.00 for a mid terrace house for the second option.
    ps it has no insulation value whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

There are a few houses like this in Crumlin. One near my Mam's was sold and the new owners got it taken down. I don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

gmf1024 wrote: »
    In the 1970s when this was the rage, it was called "Eurostone". Each "brick" was made by filling a mould with coloured render. People would typically paint between the "bricks" black and then paint it with a couple of coats of yacht varnish to "conserve" the colour.
    If you want to remove or cover over this, you have two options. The first is to take a kango hammer to it and then apply a new render. Alternatively, an exterior insulation could be applied. A render is then put on top of the insulation. The SEAI will pay you a grant of €2,250.00 for a mid terrace house for the second option.
    ps it has no insulation value whatsoever.

Thanks gmf! You've satisfied my curiosity.

Now if only I could figure out what possessed people to think it looked nice..

Advertisement