Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restore or sell for cheap?

Options
  • 17-07-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

I don't know if there is any specific place to post a question like this, if the place is wrong I ask the moderators to move my discussion please.

A colleague of mine has left the country and left me a bike (see pics).
    Question is:
    sell it for cheap as it is or it is worth to restore it (takes time and some money, but I enjoy it)? Do you think is it worth? If it is a "good" bike, I'd possibly keep it at the end too... what do you think about it?

Thanks for advises,
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No real value as is a basic if nice steel framed bit of its era. Worth cleaning up to use as a run around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it looks quite big. does it fit you, would be one of the first questions - are you a similar height to your colleague?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

I am not a newbie; I know how to maintain and measure a bike, I have a few of them and all in perfect order, so I do not need one more bike (I mean, I'd like to have hundreds... but space is a problem).
    My question is more like "is it a bike worth to be restored or not?"

I mean, if it was a Colnago master 1990, I'd keep it; if it was a Klein Quantum Pro, I'd keep it; if it was a Cannondale Caad 3, I'd keep it; is it worth to keep a Rayleigh Mercury? I do not know the brand.

Thanks

it looks quite big. does it fit you, would be one of the first questions - are you a similar height to your colleague?

Gear on the bar? /wipes a nostalgic tear away :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,608 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i am not sure whether 'gear on the bar' refers to the positioning of the shifters, or riding a bike that's clearly too big for you.

• Advertisement

i am not sure whether 'gear on the bar' refers to the positioning of the shifters, or riding a bike that's clearly too big for you.

lol , I didn't see "gear on the bar" has having innuendo but I do now :D

No I meant the positioning of the shifters

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

queldy wrote: »
    I mean, if it was a Colnago master 1990, I'd keep it; if it was a Klein Quantum Pro, I'd keep it; if it was a Cannondale Caad 3, I'd keep it; is it worth to keep a Rayleigh Mercury? I do not know the brand.
    Raleigh did once have quite a good reputation I thought? I'd say there'd be some market for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

If it was a Raleigh made by their specialty products division for a professional racing cyclist it would be worth keeping, but it's not.

It's got cheap components and probably weighs a tonne, it's destiny is to be chained to a railing in some college somewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Search history on adverts.ie. Looks like a couple sold there over past couple of years. Looked clean but sold for very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Before doing anything...make sure the seat post and Handlebar stem aren't siezed! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

queldy wrote: »
    I am not a newbie; I know how to maintain and measure a bike, I have a few of them and all in perfect order, so I do not need one more bike (I mean, I'd like to have hundreds... but space is a problem).
    My question is more like "is it a bike worth to be restored or not?"

Thanks

If you are as you say it's worth very little around €50 I'd say unless you have some sentimental value of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

ok, so no big value for the frame fork, no big value for the whole bike.
    thanks everyone,
    you were very helpful!

cheers

Advertisement