Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing planning

Options
  • 17-07-2017 11:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭

How do you find out if social housing/traveler accommodation is part of a new development?

I assume when housing is described as "luxurious" then it's all private housing? I am thinking of places like Marianella in Rathgar or the new apartments just announced in Donnybrook. What about in larger estate builds like Clay Farm?

Is social housing ever apartments or is it normally houses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Read Part V of the Planning Act.
    Applies to all residential developments of 10 or more units. Some exemptions apply, however the option to buy out the percentage or offer the percentage elsewhere has been removed the amended Act.

Apartments are absolutely included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Do the government pay anything to the developers for the social accomadation that they are forced to build or is the cost actually being paid by the purchasers of the non social accomadation indirectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The builders are paid cost + a small margin as far as I remember. This does still lead to the others being dearer as they'll want a margin on the entire job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I've always wondered how it's decided who gets these "nicer" social houses compared to some of the less salubrious parts of the city. Is it next on the list or the ones that make the most noise or have political "pull"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Browney7 wrote: »
    I've always wondered how it's decided who gets these "nicer" social houses compared to some of the less salubrious parts of the city. Is it next on the list or the ones that make the most noise or have political "pull"?

List and needs based assessments (needs based assessments put you up the list anyhow).

Deal is 10% of any new developments (over 10 dwellings in size) are social housing units- i.e. they are owned by local authorities who look after the properties and their tenants.

One thing- keep in mind there is a big difference between social housing and affordable housing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭sunrainmooncl

One thing- keep in mind there is a big difference between social housing and affordable housing!!!

The jist of that being that affordable housing is just helping you to buy a house? Is there any affordable housing schemes anymore?

Is the Traveler Accommodation Programme the same as social housing then? Is it a different list that people sign up to - and how do the councils decide who to put in what houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

How do you find out if social housing/traveler accommodation is part of a new development?

I assume when housing is described as "luxurious" then it's all private housing? I am thinking of places like Marianella in Rathgar or the new apartments just announced in Donnybrook. What about in larger estate builds like Clay Farm?

Is social housing ever apartments or is it normally houses?

I was told today that there is quite a bit of social housing in Marinella and its having an affect on sales. Could this really be the case. Seems totally bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Social housing is both, house, s and apartments .
    I know a place in finglas , i think theres, 8 or 9 block,s
    2 blocks at the back are owned by cluid, a housing charity.
    only people on the housing list can live there .
    so its social housing .
    The difference is the city council does not sell apartments ,
    most social house,s houses owned by the council before 2000 were sold to tenants .

We are at the peak of the housing market .
    If you buy a new house or apartment you may want to check how many units are social housing,
    and where they are located .If you really want to avoid social housing
    buy a small house in a cul de sac,
    with maybe 12-20 units in it .eg an house thats at least 10 years old.
    luxurious has no legal definition , i would assume the council can afford to buy any house or apartment under 300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

Serious lack of FTB, the stats next year on social housing and the volume they are taking in new estates will surprise us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Serious lack of FTB, the stats next year on social housing and the volume they are taking in new estates will surprise us all.

thats why the banks are going mortgage mad now, the amount of people who'll be pissed in a year or two when they find out they dropped near half a million to live 200 meters from social tenants.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    Social housing is both, house, s and apartments .
    I know a place in finglas , i think theres, 8 or 9 block,s
    2 blocks at the back are owned by cluid, a housing charity.
    only people on the housing list can live there .
    so its social housing .
    The difference is the city council does not sell apartments ,
    most social house,s houses owned by the council before 2000 were sold to tenants .

We are at the peak of the housing market .
    If you buy a new house or apartment you may want to check how many units are social housing,
    and where they are located .If you really want to avoid social housing
    buy a small house in a cul de sac,
    with maybe 12-20 units in it .eg an house thats at least 10 years old.
    luxurious has no legal definition , i would assume the council can afford to buy any house or apartment under 300k.

Why did you pick 300k? This particular development the apartments are closer to twice that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

While every development has to give 10% to social housing the councils and housing trusts are also buying at full price. So even if the 10% has already been allocated that doesn't mean that other properties won't be bought for social housing in a new development.

Del2005 wrote: »
    While every development has to give 10% to social housing the councils and housing trusts are also buying at full price. So even if the 10% has already been allocated that doesn't mean that other properties won't be bought for social housing in a new development.

What an ungodly waste of tax payers money. We're going to reflect in the next downturn and wonder how it was let happen. To think that Housing has a dedicated minister and everything about it is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Housing bodies like cluid ,tuath , circle and so on don't need planning permission to buy property,
    Seems to be how they can get around the 10% build rules ,

Developer builds 300 houses in an estate people que to buy off plan or finished house in phases first hundred sells ,cluid or who ever comes in an buys the other 200 properties,

Clúid recently bought a former apart hotel in saggart 5 blocks turned into 2 bed -3bed apartments all for social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gatling wrote: »
    Housing bodies like cluid ,tuath , circle and so on don't need planning permission to buy property,
    Seems to be how they can get around the 10% build rules ,

Developer builds 300 houses in an estate people que to buy off plan or finished house in phases first hundred sells ,cluid or who ever comes in an buys the other 200 properties,

thats basically it, the 10% requirement scared people, but as soon as they figure out that theyre lining up to buy into a council estate effectively then they'll go mad. It might take 10 years but the social issues will show up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭utmbuilder

The jist of that being that affordable housing is just helping you to buy a house? Is there any affordable housing schemes anymore?

Is the Traveler Accommodation Programme the same as social housing then? Is it a different list that people sign up to - and how do the councils decide who to put in what houses?

It appears there's a 13 million fund for traveller homes and they are under pressure to spend it

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/councils-under-fire-as-just-18-of-traveller-accommodation-cash-drawn-down-936062.html

Advertisement