Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental Hygiene or Audiology

Options
  • 18-07-2017 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just looking for advice about which course to pursue. I'm in my late 20'ies, extremely limited financially and view this as my last chance to get some kind of decent job. I've been working since I was 16 in various dead-end retail/customer service roles and also have an undergrad degree in an unrelated field.

Both courses are 2 years and once qualified, I can work anywhere in the world with them. I'm aiming to try and get permanent visas in NZ/Aus at some stage hopefully. DH was just removed from the skill shortage list while Audiology was just added. However there is no guarantee that either occupation will be added/removed again over the coming years. Both jobs have similar enough pay and the academic side of the courses is well within my ability.

DH is quite flexible and I can build my own work schedule around it. I could work 3/4 days per week etc There appears to be loads of work in this field and I always wanted to be a dentist. However I already suffer from neck/upper back issues and I have RSI in my wrists and thumbs. Will DH exacerbate these conditions to the point where I can't work?

There seems to be well paying jobs in Audiology everywhere except Ireland. The only jobs here seem to be flogging hearing aids in high street clinics and this worries me if I ever have to return to IRE.

I'm really scared of dumping my minimal savings into a course I can't get work out of wasting another 2 years of my life. I'm nearly too old to apply for the working visas aswell so I'm getting stressed about it.

I cannot afford to live in Ire :(

Any insights into the jobs and working conditions/experiences would be great.

Thank you very much :)

Advertisement