Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biker gear

Options
  • 18-07-2017 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

I've a set of textiles that I really like, and are wearing well - RST Adventure II suit.

But, recently I've been browsing a bit, for something that I can get away with wearing during a day too. I've been looking at some jeans.

Anyone tried the Hood K7 jeans? They seem to get great reviews, and are not too expensive.

Any recommendations on other jeans worth checking?

Any comments on a casual jacket to go with the jeans? Something with a bit of armour, or else ability to wear armour under it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have Revit Nelson jeans with removable knee armour.

They've been great on the bike for the last year (including all through the winter) but are not fun to wear all day due to the thickness and the knee armour. Taking the knee armour out is a PITA, you wouldn't want to do it every day.

For a jacket I have the Revit Akira Air Vintage with added soft back protector, which I had re-tailored to fit better (was designed for people whose waists are wider than their chests, I think). It is also great on the bike but very heavy off it.

Despite this all being quite casual I still feel like a stormtrooper walking around in it.

A better approach would be to use non-integrated armour underneath, e.g. separate back/chest protector vest. Can you get knee protectors that go under jeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

RST vintage aramid jeans have worked grand for me for just tipping about, they're a little tepid for sitting around in all day but generally fine and not too bulky looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Draggin jeans are your only man.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Have a pair of Roadskin on the way, seem to be well reviewed and well spec, not got them yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I went with the Hood K7.

Very impressed. Delivered in 3 days. They feel comfortable. The protectors (knee and hip) can be taken out, so the jeans can be worn all day. I love the fact that it has full kevlar (Para‑aramid in their speak) and goes all the way down to the ankle, not just protection around hips and knees.

Now, I need to shop for a casual jacket. Might try some of the bike shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Anywhere around Dublin stock Hood jeans?

I went with Roadksin, initially the 'Elite' which are the high end motorway jean, but these were very heavy (2.2kg), and also the waist was too tight, so swapped for bigger waist but went with the Paranoid, which was the mid-rang jean they do. Still fully lined, knee and hip protector pockets, still heavy enough (1.6kg), wouldn't want to sit in the office all day, but should be good for casual trips.

Richa do some nice vintage leather jackets which are casual enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Paulw wrote: »
    The protectors (knee and hip) can be taken out, so the jeans can be worn all day.

how are they taken out?
    I have RST jeans, with removable knee and hip armour, but they are a held in with an inverted velcro pocket. so you can't get them in our out without taking the jeans off.

When they are in they are mildly irritating, but not as irritating as taking them out + putting them back

but I've had my eye on the hood jeans for a while and i'm due for an upgrade

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

gerrowadat wrote: »
    RST vintage aramid jeans have worked grand for me for just tipping about, they're a little tepid for sitting around in all day but generally fine and not too bulky looking.

Fine is not good enough, if I am looking to buy gear then I will be looking for best price to quality ratio.

how are they taken out?
    I have RST jeans, with removable knee and hip armour, but they are a held in with an inverted velcro pocket. so you can't get them in our out without taking the jeans off.

The exact same way. Velcro to the Para‑aramid layer, so they sit between the denim and the Para‑aramid. So, you need to reach up the leg to add/remove them.

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/wpbak/hood-motorcycle-jeans-feedback/

That shows a pair cut open, so you can see the inner para-aramid layer, with velcro, and the knee D3O and where it sits.

• Advertisement

Synthol wrote: »
    Fine is not good enough, if I am looking to buy gear then I will be looking for best price to quality ratio.

From the research I did, Hood probably rank 1st or 2nd, depending on websites, when you take in to account the level of protection, style and cost.

Just a matter of doing the research, getting reviews, getting opinions and then buying. I don't think any of the shops stock Hood jeans, so order online is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Paulw wrote: »
    The exact same way. Velcro to the Para‑aramid layer, so they sit between the denim and the Para‑aramid. So, you need to reach up the leg to add/remove them.

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/wpbak/hood-motorcycle-jeans-feedback/

That shows a pair cut open, so you can see the inner para-aramid layer, with velcro, and the knee D3O and where it sits.

You can put them back in without taking the pants off? with the RST that would be next to impossible.

You can put them back in without taking the pants off?

I'll try it this evening, and let you know. :D

Advertisement