Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attracting Young members to gunclub

• 18-07-2017 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

How's it goin lads,
    What do gun clubs do to attract younger members? We are a fairly small club but the average age is mid 30s so we are trying to find ways of attracting younger local members to the club. Any ideas?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

dto001 wrote: »
    How's it goin lads,
    What do gun clubs do to attract younger members? We are a fairly small club but the average age is mid 30s so we are trying to find ways of attracting younger local members to the club. Any ideas?
    Cheers

Might sound obvious, but the first thing to do is make it so you can be found - the gunclub near me has no website, no Facebook or Twitter, and a Google search of the name gives no results whatsoever. The "land preserved" signs they put up list no contact number or email. The only way to contact them is to actually already know one of the members and happen to have their number! When I suggested that perhaps it would be a good idea to set up a FB page it was met with "sure jaysus do you want every fool in the county joining" - this from a club actively seeking members - probably doesn't help that the average age is about 60 I suppose.

Rathcormac Gun Club is an excellent example of how to do PR for a gun club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Lad if average age is mid 30s I'd say your doing well only in the last year have the old brigade relented some power to younger members and we are not actively seeking new members up to this you nearly had to be born into the club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

The only shooting younger people want to do is on the X Box thing. They'd not be into going out in the countryside & actually getting some exercise!

best way to attract them would be offer them drugs, fags & booze!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

The only shooting younger people want to do is on the X Box thing. They'd not be into going out in the countryside & actually getting some exercise!

You don't have to be young to be attracted by that!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

But then you would have to purchase all for them........light the fags............open the bottles........and whatever with the drugs.

Not just because they are incapable and couldn't be bothered to learn, but because they are entitled and it is their right to have those things done for them.

The pussy generation would want you to hold gun, aim and pull trigger as they say 'fire'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I think the main problem with attracting younger members (age 16 - 24) is the cost. Shooting can be an expensive hobby, especially at the start.

I know plenty of youngsters who would love to shoot regularly but just don't have the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think the main problem with attracting younger members (age 16 - 24) is the cost. Shooting can be an expensive hobby, especially at the start.

I know plenty of youngsters who would love to shoot regularly but just don't have the money.

True but we have all been there. Just life.

I was 25 when I bought my 1st shotgun and started clay shooting. I took out a loan and I paid it back. Even with high unemployment I found work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Glad to see a gun club seeking out younger members, if most lads are mid thirties that's a young crowd compared to most.
    As mentioned above make sure you can be contacted, the one local to me has no listings at all and unless you know someone in club next to impossible to become a member, a lot of gun clubs are a closed shop and don't particularly want new members.
    Even my local one was near impossible to join even though I am living here all my life, I was told sure come down to a meeting when one on and bring a letter stating you want to join and we will vote on it..problem was no info anywhere on when meetings were on..I gave up after months of trying, I wouldn't mind but they have huge amounts of land to shoot on and probably only have about 15-20 active in club while membership might be up around 50 a lot don't shoot regular.
    I ended up joining one a few mile away and got in no hassle only to happy to have new members.
    Anyway back to your question, Facebook and maybe a few posters up around the place. My one had an open day so to speak where they set up an information stand with the procedures on how to get your permit and had different guns on display and did demonstrations with clays and a range for a .22 it got a lot of interest and I think we got about 20 new members all aged between 16 and 25.

Im 24, only thing that has put me off joining a club is the cost. Ive been to two different clubs shooting clays with friends and thoroughly enjoyed it but cant make the leap yet as its just too expensive for me

+1 on finding the club too, Having an adequate Facebook and google maps location will help wonders

We just attended Sunday clay shoots and joined those or paid on the day.

As regards other shooting, you make friends on those clay shoots by not acting the bollox and you will surprised who invites you for a bit of rough shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Jeez, our local game club was so depressing I left after one year (back when I was 18).
    More interested in arguing about football and falling out with each other than shooting......

Thats over 30 years ago and I don't think I've missed much since......

Edit, have however joined in with a bunch of lads setting up a clay range, and it's very different. No actual membership list, just a common enjoyment of shooting.
    Facebook page, Christmas shoot with barbecue , game tasting night, twice weekly shoots, just installed cooking facilities in the building (shipping container) etc.

It can be as cheap as you want it to be. Granted they might not be able to afford a Beretta but there are loads of cheap guns for sale out there.
    Lots of them seem to be able to find cash for top of the range mobile phones etc. We all have to make choices on what we spend our limited disposable cash on. I don't drink, smoke and my mobile cost €20 so I manage to have a bit of cash for my shooting. All my kit is far from expensive and all I can afford is the cheapest cartridges. I'd rather a day in the fields than down the pub or on the sofa.

Every shooting person I know would have no problem helping anyone who shows an interest in our sport. All they have to do is ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Is there no list of official gun clubs, as published over here by the NRA/NSRA?

The idea that a 'gun club' can exist without a website or a single email address is grotesque, to say the least.

tac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

When i started i paid 5 pound for a secondhand single barrel shotgun, a pair of dunnes stores wellies everybody knew someone in the army old seacondhand gear the old boy had dogs, amo was dear enough thank god for winchester western at the time 10 in a box you were not long making sure your shot counted no long shots ,you can still go down this route if you are starting now ,compared to some hobbies it is not that expensive most young people could not be bothered to many other things going on in their world,also the sad greedy older hunters who wont let them join gunclubs shame on yous these people will in the long term be the end of hunting .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

First thing I'd say is to check the attitude, not much point in attracting young people if they are going to be met by a bunch of auld fellas spouting 'youth of today' ****e.

After that, there has to be some way to find the club if you do a google search, and then a bit of info and not just a phone number, a few photos would be great. I'm not a huge fan of Facebook but it is free and most young people are on it so it's an easy way to be found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Would joining a gun club be a good way of getting in to clay shooting. I am interested in the clay side of things but like a lot of lads I would have no heed in the hunting element. I have enquired at a few clay shooting grounds but most of the lads I find are only shooting clays in the off season then it's back to the game shooting when the season opens.

First thing I'd say is to check the attitude, not much point in attracting young people if they are going to be met by a bunch of auld fellas spouting 'youth of today' ****e.

This made me smile. Respect is earned. It's not an entitlement. Young & not so young these days would do well to remember that.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Would joining a gun club be a good way of getting in to clay shooting. I am interested in the clay side of things but like a lot of lads I would have no heed in the hunting element. I have enquired at a few clay shooting grounds but most of the lads I find are only shooting clays in the off season then it's back to the game shooting when the season opens.

Loads of clay shooting around all year but you may find you'll have to travel to various clay grounds around the country if your going to take it seriously.

This made me smile. Respect is earned. It's not an entitlement. Young & not so young these days would do well to remember that.

True and when younger we all had stick off the wrinklies telling us 'what is was like when we were your age'.

But they aren't called the 'pussy generation' for nothing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

Is it the general rule that you have to be from the area? I tried my the closest one to me but was told I wasn't from the area so no go. If anyone knows any clubs near athlone that are taking new members id be interested in applying

• Advertisement

sharkfox wrote: »
    Is it the general rule that you have to be from the area? I tried my the closest one to me but was told I wasn't from the area so no go. If anyone knows any clubs near athlone that are taking new members id be interested in applying

In mine if your from within the area you have the "right" to apply to join. You need a majority vote in your favour at AGM to get membership. If your not from the area you need two existing full club members to nominate & second you and a majority vote in your favour at AGM to get membership. All new members serve a 12 month probation period. Only ever seen 4-5 refused in approx 35+ YEARS, and in these circumstances it was for a good reasons namely threatening landowners and caught shooting out of season etc. Seen a lot get membership, get firearms and never join again especially younger shooters. This makes clubs wary I reckon.

123shooter wrote: »
    True and when younger we all had stick off the wrinklies telling us 'what is was like when we were your age'.

But they aren't called the 'pussy generation' for nothing. ;)

Nail on the head ;)

I'm still getting stick off the really older lads. Most of the time there's no malice in it. Thing is I'm not a big girlz blouse and give as good as I get. The older lads enjoy the banter ;)

In mine if your from within the area you have the "right" to apply to join. You need a majority vote in your favour at AGM to get membership. If your not from the area you need two existing full club members to nominate & second you and a majority vote in your favour at AGM to get membership. All new members serve a 12 month probation period. Only ever seen 4-5 refused in approx 35+ YEARS, and in these circumstances it was for a good reasons namely threatening landowners and caught shooting out of season etc. Seen a lot get membership, get firearms and never join again especially younger shooters. This makes clubs wary I reckon.

I didn't have two full members nominate me, I only know one person in it. I've a strong feeling the one I do know might not have even bothered handing my application in for the agm. He's told me a few different stories before and after the agm about my application so I stopped asking. I've a good few permissions in better ground so it was him that lost out in the long run because I don't bring him hunting with me anymore.

I'd say the younger lads are just joining up to get the licence that bit handier through the club and not have to go knocking on doors.

I didn't have two full members nominate me, I only know one person in it. I've a strong feeling the one I do know might not have even bothered handing my application in for the agm. He's told me a few different stories before and after the agm about my application so I stopped asking. I've a good few permissions in better ground so it was him that lost out in the long run because I don't bring him hunting with me anymore.

I'd say the younger lads are just joining up to get the licence that bit handier through the club and not have to go knocking on doors.

Funny enough, the reason I didn't join my local club in the end was similar - aside from the whole freemason-like secrecy, which I felt was a bit over the top, I had a look at the land they've got and realised that most of what they have is open intensively farmed grassland, while the permissions I have myself are a nice mix of bogland, woodland, and old pastureland with nice big hedgerows.

Gravelly wrote: »
    Funny enough, the reason I didn't join my local club in the end was similar - aside from the whole freemason-like secrecy, which I felt was a bit over the top, I had a look at the land they've got and realised that most of what they have is open intensively farmed grassland, while the permissions I have myself are a nice mix of bogland, woodland, and old pastureland with nice big hedgerows.

My permissions are much the same as yours so. I mostly use the rifle but bought a shotgun a few years ago and thought it would be handy to get into a club for clays and meeting new hunters.

My permissions are much the same as yours so. I mostly use the rifle but bought a shotgun a few years ago and thought it would be handy to get into a club for clays and meeting new hunters.

I go to the clay range for clay shooting, I'm lucky that there's a lot of lads living near me who aren't in a club but do a bit of hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭CZ455Mad

Just throwing in my opinion into this one...

-First off not every young person is into drink drugs and all that
    -Secondly acting like that or even saying things like that... here, the clay range, a local gun club or even the local pup helps no1
    -I come from a near total non shooting background and it was an older friend of my father got me into it ( 23 years old now ) and it was only for the way he made me feel so welcome that I actually got into it
    -Easy way of getting into younger groups is to have a Facebook page as many of the lads here have said and FLOOD it with pictures!

*Not looking for an argument just throwing in my opinion*

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappyShooter

CZ455Mad wrote: »
    Just throwing in my opinion into this one...

-First off not every young person is into drink drugs and all that
    -Secondly acting like that or even saying things like that... here, the clay range, a local gun club or even the local pup helps no1
    -I come from a near total non shooting background and it was an older friend of my father got me into it ( 23 years old now ) and it was only for the way he made me feel so welcome that I actually got into it
    -Easy way of getting into younger groups is to have a Facebook page as many of the lads here have said and FLOOD it with pictures!

*Not looking for an argument just throwing in my opinion*

I have to agree with this. With the attitude in some of these posts younger people wouldn't want to join the clubs! Why would anyone want to join a club where all the members are their parents age and older and they feel judged anytime they are around other club members? They should be made feel welcome and be shown what the sport is all about!

While posting here you should also consider that this is an open forum so these "young people doing nothing but drugs" can see what you post - like seriously? Will I generalise and say all older people do is drink whiskey and smoke pipes?

Anyway, rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I have to agree with this. With the attitude in some of these posts younger people wouldn't want to join the clubs! Why would anyone want to join a club where all the members are their parents age and older and they feel judged anytime they are around other club members? They should be made feel welcome and be shown what the sport is all about!

While posting here you should also consider that this is an open forum so these "young people doing nothing but drugs" can see what you post - like seriously? Will I generalise and say all older people do is drink whiskey and smoke pipes?

Anyway, rant over.
    It seems there is confusion as to what a gpa/gunclub is or more to the point what some of the posters think it is.
    To answer the question above The reason you want to join a gunclub is to have the chance to go wildfowling or rough shooting.There are no all night parties or raves it is simply a group of individuals coming together to improve sport in their area.
    In regard to the Facebook page what pictures and of what would you put on a facebook page. Most sport is enjoyed on your own except for the company of your dog.

Please do not disregard the X Box factor it is having an effect on all sports, young people are becoming more and more isolated from society and stuck in their bedrooms.

If you wish to join a club you will only get there through sheer determination,get to know as many club members as possible before you send in an application. You may only get one shot so make sure the deck is loaded in your favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

grassroot1 wrote: »
    It seems there is confusion as to what a gpa/gunclub is or more to the point what some of the posters think it is.
    To answer the question above The reason you want to join a gunclub is to have the chance to go wildfowling or rough shooting.There are no all night parties or raves it is simply a group of individuals coming together to improve sport in their area.
    In regard to the Facebook page what pictures and of what would you put on a facebook page. Most sport is enjoyed on your own except for the company of your dog.

Please do not disregard the X Box factor it is having an effect on all sports, young people are becoming more and more isolated from society and stuck in their bedrooms.

If you wish to join a club you will only get there through sheer determination,get to know as many club members as possible before you send in an application. You may only get one shot so make sure the deck is loaded in your favour.

Your right about the xbox,when i was young their was no xbox the only thing you had was going to footballs with the ould fella and lucky for me he was big into feildsports, shooting,following the hunt and fishing the xbox box has ruined a lot of young people from getting into outdoor sports,they become to into these games talking to oneanother on head phones i banned it in my place their was war but you know what they started going out more 2 of them are now into fishing and one into hunting after a few weeks they forgot all about the xbox .

Advertisement