Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown to first Comp

Options
  • 18-07-2017 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Starting 1rep Maxes
    Squat: 150kg
    Bench: 110kg - Some hip lift so working of 100kg
    Deadlift: 190kg

Lining myself up to compete in the IDFPA competition in September in Ringaskiddy.
    Never competed before and this has given me some motivation and focus to train instead of just working out

Have a 4day program but each week is at least 3 days, fourth is a bonus due to other committments.

I'm actually 3 weeks into the program so this week is 9 weeks out :eek:

Monday 17/07/2017
    Squat 80% 6*3 120kg Been squatting 80% each week, finally felt comfortable this week (still heavy but it was moving well if that makes sense ?)
    Broad Jumps 6*3 (Not liking these, good activation for hamstrings but I find the landing very jarring)
    Bench 70% +5kg 4*6 75kg (Moves well, remembering to settle the bar instead of bouncing/touch and go)
    Single arm DB overhead press 3*12 17.5kg These have become push presses because of a shoulder niggle at the bottom of the press
    1 Arm row 3*10 28kg kettlebell
    3*30s hollow holds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Make sure to get used to the pauses on the bench. It's possibly the biggest difference to what most people are used to doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Wed 19/07/2017

Speed Deadlifts 8*3 @ 65% 122.5kg
    Straight forward enough, need to work on my start position, but it always moves quickly once I get it off the floor

Paused Deadlifts 6*3 125kg
    Been working up from 120kg on week 1 with these so decided to try it at 125kg
    Paused Deadlifts really help me feel it in my glutes/hamstrings and to concentrate on a smooth pull off the floor

Bent over Rows 4*8 65kg
    First time in a while I've felt these in lats, I'm putting that down to working on my position so much on the deadlifts

Nordic curls 3*8 - All negatives

Side Planks 3*30s each side

**Notes, my deadlift technique has changed and improved a lot in the last six months but each session I seem to find/feel things that work better for me.
    Using some cues from SilentMike of elbows back and cover the arm pits to really feel the lats pulling the bar in.
    Need to work on how I set my hamstrings though. Some lifts the bar just pops off the floor, other times I'm half squatting it, so I'm trying different things on each set to see what works best **

Friday 21/07/2017
    WG Bench Press 3*4 @ 80% +2.5 82.5kg - First time going wide grip, felt tougher than expected

Legless Bench 3x8 70kg - Tough but do-able

Pause Bench 6x3 (3sec) 72.5kg - These feel great, don't know if its because they're after the legless bench ?

Tricep Ext 3 x 15 12.5kg DB
    DB CS Row 3-4x15 17.5kg DB

Plank (Toes away) 3 x 60s

Sat 22/07/2017

Squat 4*5 @75% 112.5kg - 4 tough sets, need to keep up foam-rolling as my quads and itb were giving out for each set

High Bar Squat 3*8 80kg, 85kg 90kg - These moved really well

Bench Press 4*5 75% +2.5

Chin Up 4x5 +5kg, 7.5kg, 10.5kg

TRX Row AMAP in 1 mins, 42reps

High bar moved really well, not sure if this is the weight or if I should be doing high bar instead of low ?
    Low bar feels like a more comfortable for where I hold the bar, it doesn't feel stable on my traps ?
    I'm thinking of trying high bar for more warm up sets and maybe a working set just to see ?

Monday 24/07/2017

Squat 80% 6*3 120kg Did all my warm up set high bar but chickened out on doing a working set with high bar. That being said I stayed more upright and my hips and shoulders moved together nicely on the working sets when I went to low bar

Bench 75% +5kg 4*6 80kg
    Sucked so so much, bar never felt comfortable in my hands and I think I was set up to far from the j hooks so I had a long unrack

Barbell overhead press 3*10 40kg Push presses because of shoulder issue
    Funny though, because once the bar is moving I've no issues, but there is a lot of discomfort if I have to push from a dead stop

1 Arm row 3*6 28kg kettlebell - Slow negatives because there is nothing heavier in the gym to one arm row

3*30s hollow holds

• Advertisement

Current weight is 13st 7lbs (First thing in the AM)

This is my first comp so I shouldn't be too worried about making weight etc but I think I might try and trim the 7/8lbs off in the next 8 weeks ?

Its not a drastic cut so it should be do-able ?
    I'm thinking of carb cycling on non training days and paying more attention and not binging at the weekends/ no more choc in the evening

I wouldn't bother trying to cut. You can cut after the competition.

Just be aware that if you signed up in one weight grade, there may be a cut-off date for changing that, e.g. to the next grade up. It's 3 weeks before the comp in the IPF, as a reference.

Wed 26/07/2017

Deadlifts 4*3 @ 87% 165kg
    *Should have been 2*4, didn't check program before starting*

Paused Deadlifts 6*3 120kg
    Felt good, really feel these in glutes/hamstrings

Bent over Rows 4*8 70kg
    Felt heavy but do-able

Hamsting curls curls 3*8 Black Resistance band

Hollow holds 3*30s

Me and deadlifts :rolleyes:. I'm beginning to thing I am over complicating the set up. I can squeeze my lats, take the slack out of the bar, chest up.
    What I can't seem to do is load hamstrings :mad:
    Should you always feel hamstrings before starting the pull ?
    I think next week I will just aim to get the hips closer to the bar and check they're not rising too early ?

Usually, when I'm hinging into position, I'll feel the stretch in the hamstring.

Hamstrings are loaded.

Usually, when I'm hinging into position, I'll feel the stretch in the hamstring.

Hamstrings are loaded.

This is what I've been trying to drill but I just can't seem to get it to click :confused:

When I hinge forward, arms are in front of barbell. When I move my arms back to grab the barbell, I'm losing some of the hamstring tightness. and round my back slightly. I try pushing back to get the loaded feeling back in my hamstring and flatten the back, I think this is where I actually lose the tension.

Its really annoying me when I can't get it because I've felt how the weight should move with a proper set up and it just moves so much better !

Might try recording some working sets next week to get a better idea of whats going wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I find it easy to unhinge after hinging the hamstrings because I naturally bended at my lower back instead of hips before I learned to deadlift.

I use a combination of two mental cues when I'm at bottom position; try point my belly button at the floor behind me, and stick my ass backwards. My deadlift isn't perfect but these have greatly helped my deadlift become less sh1t.

I find it easy to unhinge after hinging the hamstrings because I naturally bended at my lower back instead of hips before I learned to deadlift.

I use a combination of two mental cues when I'm at bottom position; try point my belly button at the floor behind me, and stick my ass backwards. My deadlift isn't perfect but these have greatly helped my deadlift become less sh1t.

Might give that a go, I have my cues for chest, lats, it's hips and hamstrings that I can't figure:)

Make sure to get used to the pauses on the bench. It's possibly the biggest difference to what most people are used to doing.

I know I said this but the squat is another one that I saw an awful lot of mistakes on in my first comp. In the flight before mine, there were about 12 lifters, so that's 36 squats in total. I'd say 8 or so were failed because they didn't listen to the referee's commands. including a PR.

When you unrack the bar and set yourself, you wait for the 'Squat" command. That will be given by the ref in front of you and he'll signal by dropping his arm. When you stand back up, stay there until you get the 'Rack' command. That's where most people fall down on. They were racking it as soon as they completed the lift and failed because they hadn't waited for the command.

You don't get the 'Squat' or 'Rack' command until you've shown you're in control of the bar.

Might be no harm looking at the IDFPA rules ahead of the comp on those things and the clothing etc.

I know I said this but the squat is another one that I saw an awful lot of mistakes on in my first comp. In the flight before mine, there were about 12 lifters, so that's 36 squats in total. I'd say 8 or so were failed because they didn't listen to the referee's commands. including a PR.

When you unrack the bar and set yourself, you wait for the 'Squat" command. That will be given by the ref in front of you and he'll signal by dropping his arm. When you stand back up, stay there until you get the 'Rack' command. That's where most people fall down on. They were racking it as soon as they completed the lift and failed because they hadn't waited for the command.

You don't get the 'Squat' or 'Rack' command until you've shown you're in control of the bar.

Might be no harm looking at the IDFPA rules ahead of the comp on those things and the clothing etc.

No bother, thanks for the pointers. We're using the commands each session for benching, but should really start then for squatting as well

And for deadlifts, just practise commands holding the bar for 2+ seconds once you lock out. You won't be waiting 2 seconds for a 'down' command on the platform (unless you haven't actually locked out), but this is practise.

Could do something similar for squats if you don't have anybody to give commands. Unrack the bar, set your feet and look straight ahead (at the imaginary official) for 3-5 seconds. Then squat, then stand still for 2 seconds before racking.

And for deadlifts, just practise commands holding the bar for 2+ seconds once you lock out. You won't be waiting 2 seconds for a 'down' command on the platform (unless you haven't actually locked out), but this is practise.

Could do something similar for squats if you don't have anybody to give commands. Unrack the bar, set your feet and look straight ahead (at the imaginary official) for 3-5 seconds. Then squat, then stand still for 2 seconds before racking.

Thanks I'll start doing those straight away.

Btw, Alf and I have given advice here and it's up to you how you use. Just be wary that changing too much this close to your first competition could work against you. However, things like practising for commands are things you really, really need to work on if you haven't done so already.

Anything you change now should only have the competition in mind. Anything like drastic form/cue changes can wait until after the competiton. If it's a small change and you thing you can integrate it easily, then go ahead.

Btw, Alf and I have given advice here and it's up to you how you use. Just be wary that changing too much this close to your first competition could work against you. However, things like practising for commands are things you really, really need to work on if you haven't done so already.

Anything you change now should only have the competition in mind. Anything like drastic form/cue changes can wait until after the competiton. If it's a small change and you thing you can integrate it easily, then go ahead.

I can see what you mean about not changing much if anything.

Squat - None. I will either get someone to call the commands or use the pauses as suggested
    Bench - We've been using the calls from the first week, don't see anything being changed on this lift
    Deadlift - I'm trying not to change too much here, but I need to figure out proper cues for the set up, I'm so so close to a proper set up :)

I imagine part of my problem is that my current 85% is my old 1rep max and I've never had to pull 160kg + for reps/sets

I need to get dialled in at this stage because I know I'll get in my head on the day if I go for a new PR

Thanks for the comments so far, I am taking it all on board and appreciate it

will56 wrote: »
    I can see what you mean about not changing much if anything.

Squat - None. I will either get someone to call the commands or use the pauses as suggested
    Bench - We've been using the calls from the first week, don't see anything being changed on this lift
    Deadlift - I'm trying not to change too much here, but I need to figure out proper cues for the set up, I'm so so close to a proper set up :)

I imagine part of my problem is that my current 85% is my old 1rep max and I've never had to pull 160kg + for reps/sets

I need to get dialled in at this stage because I know I'll get in my head on the day if I go for a new PR

Thanks for the comments so far, I am taking it all on board and appreciate it
    You don't really need to have someone make commands for the squat. Just step back and pause. You can give yourself a squat command to start. Just pause for a second or 2 before re-racking. It becomes second nature quickly.

The bench one is a little trickier purely by dint of having three commands. Start-press-rack.

So when you rack, hold it til you hear the start command. Lower and pause til you hear 'Press'. Then rack when you hear 'rack'. A lot of people seem to think that the pause before you get the 'Press' command is arbitrary but it's to make sure you have control of the bar. My very first bench in competition was awful. Bar path was manky and I was canoeing it on my chest...but you can see clearly on the video that the second I stopped it, I got the press. On the next 2, the press came sooner because the bar wasn't moving when I got paused it on my chest.

Oh, just on the deadlift: don't drop the bar. Control it back to the floor - not a slow eccentric but just keep your hands on it.

To chime in on what Nicholas said, when you're training moves closer to the comp, everything becomes more specific to the comp. Part of that is building in the commands.

It sounds like a lot but it isn't really when it comes to doing it.

Friday 28/07/2017

Pause BP (3s) 3*4 @ 80% 80kg - Moving well, even with the long pause

Floor Press – 3*6 75kg
    Felt good, can prob go a bit heavier next week

Spotto Press - 3*6 75kg
    A lot harder than I was expecting, never did these before so the awkward bit was stopping the weight consistently
    Tricep Ext 4*10 12.5kg
    DB Chest Supported Rows 4*12 20kg

Took the advice from other posts and built in a wait at the start and the end of the benching to allow for the calls

• Advertisement

Sat 29/07/2017

Squat 3*3 @87% 130kg
    Felt so uncomfortable but moved alright and did not feel overly heavy
    Uncomfortable because of early morning/ not enough warm up and ITB issue
    Fix - better warm up and more soft tissue work outside of the gym

SBS/HBS – 3x6 90kg, 100kg, 105kg
    Took up to 105 for these to feel heavy, moved surprising well with really really low depth.

Bench Press 4*6 @ 75kg - No issues

BB Back 4x5 100kg V heavy but I wanted to see how high I could go seeing as it was only set s of 5

Planks 3*30s 10kg, 15kg, 20kg

Shrugs 3*12 60kg

Monday 01/08/2017

Squat 80% 6*3 120kg Simples really. Worked on the pause before starting and again when the set is finished before racking. Cue-ing chest back stops the hips rising first and then its "hips under/through" to lock it out quick

Zercher Squats 2*15 60kg First time doing these for high reps so stayed at 60kg as it was comfortable-ish but can definitely move up the weight

Bench 75% +5kg 4*5 80kg Changed the cue from pushing heels down to pushing them away and the whole set up felt tighter and move controlled.
    Apparently my heels were starting to lift on previous weeks but with the new cue they stayed stuck to the floor

Single arm DB overhead press 3*12 20kg Heavy on the lock out but otherwise fine

1 Arm row 3*12 28kg kettlebell Felt proper heavy. went RP on the lasst set to get to 20reps on each side.

Wed 03/08/2017

Deadlift 2*3 @ 90% 170kg

Paused Deadlifts 6*3 130kg
    Straight forward enough. Move up 5kg again next week

RDL 3*6 60kg, 100kg, 100kg - These can jump about 20kg

Row 5*8 70kg

Hamstring Curls - Black Band
    An Awkward exercise but I "feel it" a bit more than doing nordic curl negatives

3*30s Planks +15kg
    Bored of regular planks, feel the weighted for 30s a LOT more

Right, think the key for me and deadlifts is not overthinking the set up.
    Last nights cues were: grab the bar, chest up, lats back, arse back and pull.
    Bar got away from me on the last rep of each set, made it harder but locked out each rep.
    The good reps have boosted my confidence for the lift so hopefully I can replicate it next week

Fri 05/08/2017

Pause Bench 3sec 3*4 @80%+5 85kg
    Floor Press 3*6 75kg
    Spotto Press 3*6 75kg
    Tricep Ext 4*10 12.5kg
    DB Chest Supported Rows 4*12 20kg

Black band triceps push downs super-set with barbell curls.
    Curls done for 20reps just to help with elbow niggle

No issues at all with this, even with the heavier weights this was a handy bench session

Sat 06/08/2017

Squat 3*2 @80%, 86%, 92.5% 120,130,137.5kg
    So so so uncomfortable. Chest came forward, just did not feel like good squats at all

SBS/HBS – 3*5 100kg
    Took up to 105 for these to feel heavy, moved surprising well with really really low depth.

Bench Press 4*6 @ 75kg - No issues

BB Back 4x5 100kg

Shrugs 3*12 60kg

Some more high rep curls for elbow.

Overall a very poor session. I took longer on my warm up and even did extra glute activation and mobility work but still the squats just weren't there.
    Might be a morning thing but I'll have a chat with my coach before next saturday to see what i should change.

Tuesday 08/08/2017

Squat 80% 6*3 120kg Tough today. Don't know why but I couldn't hi the same bar path as other week. Going to put it down to tiredness after the weekend

Zercher Squats 2*15 65kg2 hard sets but do-able

Bench 75% +5kg 4*5 82.5kg Grand. Funny bench was never an exercise I was worried about progressing but its been one of my best exercises the last couple of weeks

Single arm DB overhead press 3*12 20kg Much smoother press this week, going to move to a 24kg kettlebell next week because 20kg is the heaviest DB

1 Arm row 3*12 28kg kettlebell Grand

I'm starting to get concerned about the squat. I don't want to change anything 6 weeks away from a competition but I'm not feeling very confident after Saturday and last night

Have you been videoing your squats?

Have you been videoing your squats?

I didn't last week after the Monday squats went so well. I'm going to set up a camera Sat morning to see how they look/whats going on

will56 wrote: »
    I didn't last week after the Monday squats went so well. I'm going to set up a camera Sat morning to see how they look/whats going on

What feels different/wrong about the last two sessions?

• Advertisement

What feels different/wrong about the last two sessions?

Chest dropping and weight coming onto toes.

I tightened my grip on the last 2 sets last night and it moved a lot better. I didn't consciously change my grip so dunno what changed
    I'm going to use the same grip when I work through my warm ups on Saturday.
    Saturday is working up to 95%

Advertisement