Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown to first Comp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

will56 wrote: »
    Chest dropping and weight coming onto toes.

I tightened my grip on the last 2 sets last night and it moved a lot better. I didn't consciously change my grip so dunno what changed
    I'm going to use the same grip when I work through my warm ups on Saturday.
    Saturday is working up to 95%

Tightening your grip might have helped keep your upper back tighter. If you don't keep it tight enough, when the weight gets heavier, it will push you forward.

Well, that's one possible reason - it's something I've had to address myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Tightening your grip might have helped keep your upper back tighter. If you don't keep it tight enough, when the weight gets heavier, it will push you forward.

Well, that's one possible reason - it's something I've had to address myself anyway.

You could be right, I know on Sat and Tues night the bar didn't feel like it was sitting into my rear delts as much as when squats moved well. I'll keep that in mind when I set up in future

Wed 09/08/2017

Deadlift 2*3 @ 75% 142.5kg

Paused Deadlifts 6*3 135kg
    Straight forward enough. Move up 5kg again next week

RDL 3*6 100kg, 110kg, 117.5kg - I'll start these around 120kg next week

Row 5*8 75kg

Hamstring Curls - Black Band
    An Awkward exercise but I "feel it" a bit more than doing nordic curl negatives

3*30s Planks +15kg
    Bored of regular planks, feel the weighted for 30s a LOT more

Why can't all deadlift sessions feel like this one. Pulling 75% probably helped but warm ups etc all moved better than other weeks
    Recorded my working sets as well. Hips didn't rise before bar so thats a good thing ?
    need to tighen upper back but otherwise happy enough with hoe it felt.

How heavy should you be able to go with RDLs ? I reckon I can do 65/70% of my 1rm deadlift for 8ish reps

How heavy should you be able to go with RDLs ? I reckon I can do 65/70% of my 1rm deadlift for 8ish reps

That's probably ball park. Just be wary of going too heavy and losing the movement quality, that's all. If you had to drop back a couple of percent to make sure the movement was any benefit, so be it.

Fri 11/08/2017

Pause Bench 3sec 3*4 @80%+5 85kg
    Floor Press 3*6 75kg
    Spotto Press 3*6 75kg
    Tricep Ext 4*10 12.5kg
    DB Chest Supported Rows 4*12 20kg

Black band triceps push downs super-set with barbell curls.
    Curls done for 20reps just to help with elbow niggle

All easy enough again

• Advertisement

Sat 12/08/2017

Squat 1*4@80%, 1*3@87.5%, 1*2@95% 120kg, 130kg, 142.5kg

SBS/HBS – 6*3 110kg

Bench Press 4*6 @ 70%+5kg Went to 80kg because 75kg moved so well

BB Back 4x8 70kg

Much better day squatting :D
    Took a slightly longer warm up
    Squatting high bar for the first few Warm up sets
    Took the hands in closer and really worked on that upper back tightness.
    The bar was sitting so well I hardly felt like I had 95% on my back (well not until I was coming out of the hole anyway)

Much happier with how things went so fingers crossed it stays that way

You're welcome :pac:

Monday 14/08/2017

Squat 70% 6*3 105kg Got a bit overconfident starting these but once I started using my cues it went well.

Zercher Squats 2*15 70kg Felt easy enough, must be because the squats were lighter

Bench 70% +7.5kg 4*6 77.5kg Still moving well. Testing on Friday (not to failure so curious to see how 100+feels

Single arm DB overhead press 3*12 20kg Tried 24kg KB, "shoulder says no" :D

1 Arm row 3*12 28kg kettlebell Grand

Did you get signed up to the meet in the end?

Did you get signed up to the meet in the end?

Yup, signed up at the weekend. Looking forward to it !
    Going down on the Sat to cheer on some of the girls from my gym and rest up before competing on the Sunday.

• Advertisement

Yup, signed up at the weekend. Looking forward to it !
    Going down on the Sat to cheer on some of the girls from my gym and rest up before competing on the Sunday.

Cheer from a seated position....conserves energy! :)

Cheer from a seated position....conserves energy! :)

Will do :)

Wed 09/08/2017

Deadlift 2*2 @ 92% 175kg First set of 2 was actually alright. Second set didn't even budge :mad:

RDL 3*6 120kg Started at 120kg, never went any higher. Felt proper tough and I wanted to keep my form correct

Row 5*8 Supposed to be 75kg, ended up doing 3 sets at 85kg after trying 95kg by mistake :rolleyes:
    Head just wan't working and somehow I thought the 10s were 5s

Did some conditioning and mobility work at the end, rowing circuits and banded distractions for my hips

Still not sure how I feel about deadlifts, I'm telling myself that its tough because these weights are all new to me in the last couple months. I'm not expecting a jump like my last testing, just hoping it goes up a few Kgs

Did you get take enough of a rest between deadlift sets?

Did you get take enough of a rest between deadlift sets?

Took at least 5 minutes.
    I'd taken a fair few warm up sets to reach the 175kg though, maybe thats what did it.

Bar, 60kg for 8, 80kg for 5, 100kg for 3-5, 120kg for 2, 140kg for 2, 160kg for 1

The logic was trying to accumulate volume at the lower weights ?
    All the warm up sets moved really well

Might have been better to skip the 160kg ?

Took at least 5 minutes.
    I'd taken a fair few warm up sets to reach the 175kg though, maybe thats what did it.

Bar, 60kg for 8, 80kg for 5, 100kg for 3-5, 120kg for 2, 140kg for 2, 160kg for 1

The logic was trying to accumulate volume at the lower weights ?
    All the warm up sets moved really well

Might have been better to skip the 160kg ?

There's a balance between doing too little and doing too much and where you are now in relation to the comp, you don't need to be doing that much volume beforehand. Your volume should have been accumulated before now.

You're concentrating on strength now and getting everything firing for heavy top sets.

When it comes to the comp, you won't want to be doing any more than maybe 5-8 reps in total before your first lift because you want to preserve energy. You don't need to be as restrictive now but you're doing 21-23 reps before two doubles at 92%.

As a max, I'd look at maybe 60x5, 90x3, 120x 1-2, 145x 1, 160x 1 at the very most. 11-12 reps, 48-52% less volume in warming up to the 2x2.

And take as long as you need between sets. If you feel like you need to take more than 5 minutes, that's fine. You'll possibly have 8-10 minutes between lifts at the comp.

There's a balance between doing too little and doing too much and where you are now in relation to the comp, you don't need to be doing that much volume beforehand. Your volume should have been accumulated before now.

You're concentrating on strength now and getting everything firing for heavy top sets.

When it comes to the comp, you won't want to be doing any more than maybe 5-8 reps in total before your first lift because you want to preserve energy. You don't need to be as restrictive now but you're doing 21-23 reps before two doubles at 92%.

As a max, I'd look at maybe 60x5, 90x3, 120x 1-2, 145x 1, 160x 1 at the very most. 11-12 reps, 48-52% less volume in warming up to the 2x2.

And take as long as you need between sets. If you feel like you need to take more than 5 minutes, that's fine. You'll possibly have 8-10 minutes between lifts at the comp.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

Should I use a similar warm up plan for my squatting this weekend ? The program has 80%, 86%, 92%, 97.5% for 2 so 120kg, 130kg, 137.5kg, 145

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

Should I use a similar warm up plan for my squatting this weekend ? The program has 80%, 86%, 92%, 97.5% for 2 so 120kg, 130kg, 137.5kg, 145

I'd keep the warm ups before the 80% to a minimum because you'll be doing 6 reps at 80-92% before the 97.5% so you want to conserve energy.

I'd keep the warm ups before the 80% to a minimum because you'll be doing 6 reps at 80-92% before the 97.5% so you want to conserve energy.

Super.

Just on warm ups, do you then do a lot of mobility/air squats/ general warming up instead of creeping up the weights ?
    In our classes we used to do squat specific warm ups/mobility work before moving to the racks. I'd then work up to working sets using 10/15kg increases.

Is my time better spent doing more none weighted warm ups, taking bigger increases and getting more quality work done at working sets ?

Super.

Just on warm ups, do you then do a lot of mobility/air squats/ general warming up instead of creeping up the weights ?
    In our classes we used to do squat specific warm ups/mobility work before moving to the racks. I'd then work up to working sets using 10/15kg increases.

Is my time better spent doing more none weighted warm ups, taking bigger increases and getting more quality work done at working sets ?

Do the mobility work etc before starting. Think of how you get to the weight for the 2x2 without expending too much energy. The warm ups are to acclimatise to the movement with the weight....you don't necessarily need to do lots of reps for that.

Just to caveat all that, I'm not a trainer or an expert but it's just what I've tried to do of late when it comes to peaking for comp and you're training from now should be preparing you for comp mode. Normally, it's not that big an issue to go up through the weights like you have been but with higher percentages, the top sets are your primary concern, not volume or anything else.

• Advertisement

Fri 18/08/2017

Bench test (not to failure) 110kg

Floor Press 3*3 75kg
    Spotto Press 3*3 75kg
    Tricep Ext 4*10 12.5kg
    Kettlebell Rows 4*12 28kg

Black band triceps push downs super-set with hammerl curls.

Was not expecting that from the bench
    I worked towards my old max, just to see how it felt.
    Old max felt handy enough so went for the 110kg
    Hip started to rise on one side but I'm fairly confident i can fix that before the comp.
    The hips lifting stopped me from going any heavier

Sat 19/08/2017

Squat 1@80%, 1@86%, 1@92% 2@97.5%147.5kg
    Second rep at 145kg was tough, a real battle, putting it down to the 4 rounds before it

SBS/HBS – 6*3 100kg
    Put 120kg on the bar just to test it, moved a lot better than I expected. Think I'm going to high bar or at least a bit higher after the comp

Bench Press 6*3 @ 80% 80kg

BB Back 4x5 80kg

Monday 21/08/2017

Squat 70% 6*3 105kg Bit sloppy on technique, but tightened up on the last couple of sets

Paused Squats 5*3 @ 60% 90kg Really worked on tightening the back, pulling the bar into me. Bar path felt brilliant, even when coming out of the bottom after a couple seconds pause.

Single arm DB overhead press 3*12 20kg

1 Arm row 3*12 28kg kettlebell

Conditioning - 500m * 4 with 60secs rest inbetween. Kept each set under 2mins without having to go flat out

** Squats feel much better when I really really pull on the the bar and get super tight in my upper back.
    Also found that the bar path felt better on the paused squats when I wasn't just aiming for the bounce at the bottom (may have dive bombed a couple of sets, not good) **

Need to get my suit ordered to get some sessions in wearing it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Need to get my suit ordered to get some sessions in wearing it

Keeping the upper back tight makes a huge difference...otherwise you just find the weight pushing your back down and putting you in a position to have to good morning it to some degree. That won't work when you're up at the top end of the weight.

I know it well because it's something I've had to address myself in the not-too-distant past :)

Oh and order the singlet asap just to make sure you have it in time, what with deliveries and the like.

Keeping the upper back tight makes a huge difference...otherwise you just find the weight pushing your back down and putting you in a position to have to good morning it to some degree. That won't work when you're up at the top end of the weight.

I know it well because it's something I've had to address myself in the not-too-distant past :)

Oh and order the singlet asap just to make sure you have it in time, what with deliveries and the like.

I think its (tight upper back) something that I've known sub consciously but never really worked on/thought about doing. Should have been doing it from the start but there's always next time :-)

Going to order the singlet from StrengthShop. Gotten bits from them in the bast and its always been quick.

I assume any tall socks will do for deadlifts ?

Oh, any point getting knee sleeves at this point ?

I think its (tight upper back) something that I've known sub consciously but never really worked on/thought about doing. Should have been doing it from the start but there's always next time :-)

Going to order the singlet from StrengthShop. Gotten bits from them in the bast and its always been quick.

I assume any tall socks will do for deadlifts ?

Oh, any point getting knee sleeves at this point ?

Yeah, any tall socks. I use the motorbike socks they occasionally have in Aldi. Some people use football socks.

No need for knee sleeves, per se. I think I got a pair maybe 6 weeks before my first comp. I kinda just got them on the basis that if they give me 1%, then that might be the difference between making a PR lift and not.

Plenty of people don't use them but they won't hinder you. Maybe for the next comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I also worse knee sleeves for one session before my last comp. Even now, I'm not convinced they make any difference to me, even though I wear them for every heavy session. Belt on the other hand...

Does the IDFPA allow knee sleeves? I read somewhere that they didn't

I also worse knee sleeves for one session before my last comp. Even now, I'm not convinced they make any difference to me, even though I wear them for every heavy session. Belt on the other hand...

Just double checked the rulebook there:
    UNEQUIPPED (RAW) COMPETITION
    The following items of costume are permitted within this category of competition:
    1) A one-piece lifting suit or leotard of
    the non-supportive type must be worn.
    2) A belt, conforming to specifications
    3) Wrist wraps.

No need for sleeves so. I think I was getting confused because strenghtshop have idfpa approved sleeves on the site

• Advertisement

Good point - they don't.

Just singlet, belt and wrist wraps allowed (clause 12)

Advertisement