Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown to first Comp

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When you get a handle on when your flight is starting, work out your warm up times. Actually, just work them out based on a start time of X, e.g. X-8: last warm up single, X-18: second last warm up. Work backwards. Try keep to 6 or less total reps in warm ups to conserve energy.

Based on the IPF comp there in May, there will be two warm-up racks and everyone in your flight will be looking to warm up so make sure you're not shy in getting your go on the warm ups at the weights you want. Also, at the rack height you want.

Just on rack height, once you weight in (or earlier if possible) go in and check what rack height you want for squat and bench. You'll need to give that ahead of the comp so the rack can be set up for you in the comp.

Listen to your body. You might have numbers in your head to hit but if the warm ups feel heavy, don't be afraid to knock a few kilos off your opener and judge from there. You'll learn more at this stage by making the lift and knowing there was more in the tank than by missing lifts.

Make sure you pick an opener weight that you know you'd nail if you woke up that morning with AIDS and only one leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

When you get a handle on when your flight is starting, work out your warm up times. Actually, just work them out based on a start time of X, e.g. X-8: last warm up single, X-18: second last warm up. Work backwards. Try keep to 6 or less total reps in warm ups to conserve energy.

Do you mean 6 total reps across all warm up sets ?
    ex: 3@50%, 1@60%, 1@70%, 1@80% ?

I've taken my expectations right down for my lifts especially as I haven't been comfortable at the higher weights for most of this cycle.

I'm thinking 130, 140, then maybe 150 on the squats ? 150 would depend on the prev attempts

90, 100, 110 on the Bench. (I've done 110 with hips starting to lift so if I get this perfect form I'd be happy)

175, 190, 200 on the Deadlift. (If I can't go up on squat I want 200kg on the deadlift :D )

I've to discuss these more with my trainer, but I'm trying to have some figures in my head.

will56 wrote: »
    Do you mean 6 total reps across all warm up sets ?
    ex: 3@50%, 1@60%, 1@70%, 1@80% ?

I've taken my expectations right down for my lifts especially as I haven't been comfortable at the higher weights for most of this cycle.

I'm thinking 130, 140, then maybe 150 on the squats ? 150 would depend on the prev attempts

90, 100, 110 on the Bench. (I've done 110 with hips starting to lift so if I get this perfect form I'd be happy)

175, 190, 200 on the Deadlift. (If I can't go up on squat I want 200kg on the deadlift :D )

I've to discuss these more with my trainer, but I'm trying to have some figures in my head.

Yeah, 6 in total. It's not an absolute limit but you just need to be priming yourself for the 3 lifts while expending as little energy as possible. You don't need to get in any volume beforehand.

The 90% and 97% for your first two lifts are a good guide. Don't be afraid to drop back the opener to make sure you make it. It doesn't necessarily have to have a knock-on impact on your 3rd lift.

Also, relax on the commands. It's not a race when you get the start command on the squat or bench - it just means the judges are happy that you're in the correct start position. That was one thing I learned off my 3rd comp. I found I was rushing my bench once I got the start command rather than hearing it and then taking an extra second to make sure I was set up as I would be in the gym and go through my cues.

Yeah, 6 in total. It's not an absolute limit but you just need to be priming yourself for the 3 lifts while expending as little energy as possible. You don't need to get in any volume beforehand.

The 90% and 97% for your first two lifts are a good guide. Don't be afraid to drop back the opener to make sure you make it. It doesn't necessarily have to have a knock-on impact on your 3rd lift.

Also, relax on the commands. It's not a race when you get the start command on the squat or bench - it just means the judges are happy that you're in the correct start position. That was one thing I learned off my 3rd comp. I found I was rushing my bench once I got the start command rather than hearing it and then taking an extra second to make sure I was set up as I would be in the gym and go through my cues.

I'll keep that in mind for the warm ups, took bigger jumps on the warm ups last night to get used to it a bit mentaly.

I've been taking longer on the set up before squatting/benching. Taking the command and then setting myself before doing the lift rather than rushing it. Hoping I can keep it up on Sunday

Thanks for all your advice so far

I'll keep that in mind for the warm ups, took bigger jumps on the warm ups last night to get used to it a bit mentaly.

I've been taking longer on the set up before squatting/benching. Taking the command and then setting myself before doing the lift rather than rushing it. Hoping I can keep it up on Sunday

Thanks for all your advice so far

If it takes more to make sure you're happy that everything is moving, so be it but just don't do extra reps for the sake of it. You might think you're only doing 9 lifts in the comp and that you'd do a boatload more in training but trust me on the fatigue. You'll know about it on Sunday anyway :)

Get plenty pf work done making sure you're good to go before you go near the bar for warm ups. Mobilise everything that needs to be mobilised etc etc.

Its a learning curve. You'll learn plenty of things you could have done better or that you did well on the day that will stand to you for your next comp.

But most of all, enjoy the day and best of luck!

• Advertisement

Based on the IPF comp there in May, there will be two warm-up racks and everyone in your flight will be looking to warm up so make sure you're not shy in getting your go on the warm ups at the weights you want. Also, at the rack height you want.

Just on rack height, once you weight in (or earlier if possible) go in and check what rack height you want for squat and bench. You'll need to give that ahead of the comp so the rack can be set up for you in the comp.

L

Sorry, More questions :D

How long does it usually take per person per lift ? Trying to get a warm up plan laid out, even just a bare bone to have it in mind.
    Would it be about 2mins per lifter ?
    so if there are 5 ahead of me in my flight, have my last warm up done before the first lad goes ?

On the rack height for bench - I'm going to go for a lift off, should I have the rack set a little bit lower than normal so I don't lose tightness in the lift off ?

Sorry, More questions :D

How long does it usually take per person per lift ? Trying to get a warm up plan laid out, even just a bare bone to have it in mind.
    Would it be about 2mins per lifter ?
    so if there are 5 ahead of me in my flight, have my last warm up done before the first lad goes ?

On the rack height for bench - I'm going to go for a lift off, should I have the rack set a little bit lower than normal so I don't lose tightness in the lift off ?

Definitely wouldn't be 2 mins per lifter. I usually use 1 minute per lift. If the flight started at 10 and you were the fifth lifter, I'd work off having your first lift at 10.05. It might be a touch earlier, e.g. 10.03 but no earlier than that, e.g. on 3 and

You can have the rack a bit lower than you might normally if you're getting a lift out. But they're good spotters so they won't be pulling it up high so you're tightness shouldn't be affected. But set it a notch lower if you're more comfortable with that. Also, have a word to the spotter to explain the way you want it lifted out, e.g. on 3 etc

Definitely wouldn't be 2 mins per lifter. I usually use 1 minute per lift. If the flight started at 10 and you were the fifth lifter, I'd work off having your first lift at 10.05. It might be a touch earlier, e.g. 10.03 but no earlier than that, e.g. on 3 and

You can have the rack a bit lower than you might normally if you're getting a lift out. But they're good spotters so they won't be pulling it up high so you're tightness shouldn't be affected. But set it a notch lower if you're more comfortable with that. Also, have a word to the spotter to explain the way you want it lifted out, e.g. on 3 etc

Ah right so, much quicker than I'd been thinking

Ah right so, much quicker than I'd been thinking

When it's your turn to lift, you'll get a "bar is loaded" call and you have 60s to complete the lift. Most people probably use <40s.

Maybe it's different in the IDFPA, I don't know, but the bar loading goes up on screen straight away for the loaders to get the bar ready. They'll mostly just be adding a plate or two on each side and adjusting rack height and that is usually done quite quickly.

A flight of 10 will usually not take longer than 30 mins for all lifters to complete their 3 lifts. But as I said, that's just my IPF experience and I can't say if it's as slick in the IDFPA.

When it's your turn to lift, you'll get a "bar is loaded" call and you have 60s to complete the lift. Most people probably use <40s.

Maybe it's different in the IDFPA, I don't know, but the bar loading goes up on screen straight away for the loaders to get the bar ready. They'll mostly just be adding a plate or two on each side and adjusting rack height and that is usually done quite quickly.

A flight of 10 will usually not take longer than 30 mins for all lifters to complete their 3 lifts. But as I said, that's just my IPF experience and I can't say if it's as slick in the IDFPA.

I think I'd prefer to have it in my head that it runs quicker that it might be, that way I won't get caught out.
    I'll just assume its the 60secs per lift for working out my timings

• Advertisement

Sunday 24/09/2017

Comp Day :eek:

Weighed in at 7am, 81kg on the button.
    Went then for a large bowl of oats and protein shake followed by banana and a good bit of water.
    It was going to be while before the flights went up so I took the time to sit back and relax, did some light foam rolling and walking to stay loose.
    Flights got posted and I was going to be up at 9.30, second in my flight.
    Plan then was to start warming up proper from 8:30 and get to the bars around 9. There was only 3 flights on the day so I planned to keep that strategy up, use 30mins to refuel and loosen up and then 30mins barbell warm up

Squats:
    Diff bar and diff platform - we always have a wooden platform so the carpet was a big change.
    Anywho, warm ups felt good, bar felt like it was moving quick enough and I felt loose enough.
    Stuck with my opener of 125kg and the rest was going to judged off that.
    Opener - 125kg Perfect, heard all the commands and didn't re-rack early, even heard a judge comments on my good depth (a nice little bonus)
    135kg Still good, bit slower but nothing worrying, bars felt heavy at the top but moved alright
    145kgThe plan coming was 150 but I wanted 3/3 on the squats and I was wasn't sure how 150 would go. 145kg moved so well after I probably should have bumped it up

Bench:
    Opener 95kg Touched a bit low and the length of the pause meant this didn't go as smooth as I would have liked
    100kg - Much much better, hit the right spot and shot up after the pause
    110kg - Forgot to press when i got the lift-off so when he let go I had to lock out the bar (not a great start) went to high lowering the bar and then readjusted just before my chest, call took FOREVER and I knew it wasn't going up.

Deadlift:
    Opener 175kg Moved alright
    185kg - Heavy
    195kg - Text book of everything you shouldn't do :rolleyes: Too long at the bottom, no tension, no lats. Hips went up first, then back and finally shoulders when the bar left the floor. Had to battle to lock it out and called red lighted for hitching. Reviewed a video of it after didn't hitch but my knee went forward so we assume thats what did it. I am taking it as a PR.

Over all total 430kg and placed 6/7.
    1st in the 82.5 was 535kg

Post comp:

I'm hooked now :)
    It really was a great day, good fun watching the other lifters and getting caught up in the atmosphere of it all.
    Everyone there is so supportive, no one cares what the weight is on the bar, just cheering you to make the lift.

I've taken a lot of learning points away from it as well.
    Finally happy with my squat again after 8/10 weeks of dreading it
    From now on paused bench press will be done with long pauses 3+ to get used to holding it at the bottom
    Deadlift - so much work needed here, need to drill in my cues and need to work on back/lat strength.

Also noticed on the day how much bigger the guys were in my class. I'm almost 6ft and the majority were a few inches shorter and carrying a lot more muscle, I'd love to do a proper bulk now and see what I could do in 6/12 months time.

Roll on November, I think I might sign up for the Push Pull that's in Glasnevin, get my moneys worth from my membership :D

Sunday 24/09/2017

Comp Day :eek:

Weighed in at 7am, 81kg on the button.
    Went then for a large bowl of oats and protein shake followed by banana and a good bit of water.
    It was going to be while before the flights went up so I took the time to sit back and relax, did some light foam rolling and walking to stay loose.
    Flights got posted and I was going to be up at 9.30, second in my flight.
    Plan then was to start warming up proper from 8:30 and get to the bars around 9. There was only 3 flights on the day so I planned to keep that strategy up, use 30mins to refuel and loosen up and then 30mins barbell warm up

Squats:
    Diff bar and diff platform - we always have a wooden platform so the carpet was a big change.
    Anywho, warm ups felt good, bar felt like it was moving quick enough and I felt loose enough.
    Stuck with my opener of 125kg and the rest was going to judged off that.
    Opener - 125kg Perfect, heard all the commands and didn't re-rack early, even heard a judge comments on my good depth (a nice little bonus)
    135kg Still good, bit slower but nothing worrying, bars felt heavy at the top but moved alright
    145kgThe plan coming was 150 but I wanted 3/3 on the squats and I was wasn't sure how 150 would go. 145kg moved so well after I probably should have bumped it up

Bench:
    Opener 95kg Touched a bit low and the length of the pause meant this didn't go as smooth as I would have liked
    100kg - Much much better, hit the right spot and shot up after the pause
    110kg - Forgot to press when i got the lift-off so when he let go I had to lock out the bar (not a great start) went to high lowering the bar and then readjusted just before my chest, call took FOREVER and I knew it wasn't going up.

Deadlift:
    Opener 175kg Moved alright
    185kg - Heavy
    195kg - Text book of everything you shouldn't do :rolleyes: Too long at the bottom, no tension, no lats. Hips went up first, then back and finally shoulders when the bar left the floor. Had to battle to lock it out and called red lighted for hitching. Reviewed a video of it after didn't hitch but my knee went forward so we assume thats what did it. I am taking it as a PR.

Over all total 430kg and placed 6/7.
    1st in the 82.5 was 535kg

Well done!

Bench is always the one that feels more alien in terms of calls. The call takes forever if the bar is still moving a little. Happened me on my first bench in first comp - too wound up and bar path was messy. Canoed the bar about a bit and call didn't come until I stopped. Calls were quicker on the next 2 and came as soon as I had the bar still on my chest.

But the whole meet in itself is a learning experience, especially the first few times. Take the positives and figure out what needs to be better and go again! :)

Well done!

Bench is always the one that feels more alien in terms of calls. The call takes forever if the bar is still moving a little. Happened me on my first bench in first comp - too wound up and bar path was messy. Canoed the bar about a bit and call didn't come until I stopped. Calls were quicker on the next 2 and came as soon as I had the bar still on my chest.

But the whole meet in itself is a learning experience, especially the first few times. Take the positives and figure out what needs to be better and go again! :)

Definitely, looking back I should have dropped the bench to 105 and the deadlift to 190 but it was all a learning experience.
    Tried to re-caffeinate between lifts but I didn't realise how tired I'd be come deadlifts. Sat down just before my flight started and as I stood up my legs were so heavy !

Definitely, looking back I should have dropped the bench to 105 and the deadlift to 190 but it was all a learning experience.
    Tried to re-caffeinate between lifts but I didn't realise how tired I'd be come deadlifts. Sat down just before my flight started and as I stood up my legs were so heavy !

It wasn't til my first comp that I realised why it was important to keep the warm ups to a minimum - you never think that you'll be as tired after the 6/7 lifts.

I remember Hanley saying that it was pointless waiting until you were 'ready' to compete because you're not really ready to compete until after 3 or so comps. Probably learned more in my second comp than my first! Still learned a good bit on the third!

But I was definitely hooked after the first!

Signed up for Push Pull Comp in ABS gym on 25th November.
    Going to have about 6ish weeks of training with the week of the Comp off
    New Goals:
    110kg Bench
    200kg Deadlift.
    Plan for the next six weeks is to drill deadlift cues as much as possible
    All benching to be done paused and if I can grab a spotter I'll have them call the pause so I'm not trying to anticipate it.
    Loads of pull ups and rows to help with upper back and stiffness tightness to avoid that awful rounding :rolleyes:

Monday 02/10/2017

Bench 6*6 @ 70% -77.5
    Pendlay Row 5*5 - 60kg
    Pull Up 3*6 - 6,6,4,4
    BB Curls 3*20 - 20kg Bar
    Banded Pushdowns 3*20 - Black Band

Bench done with a 1 second pause so I had to drop the weight after the first set to 75kg

Wednesday 04/11/2017

Deadlift 3*3 @ 80% - 160kg

Speed Deadlift 3*3 @ 65% - 130kg

Stiff Leg Deadlift 3*5 80kg

Arched back GM 3*5 - 50kg

So 80% is heavy but do-able for 3*3. Bar got away from me on the second set but fixed it for the 3rd.
    Really squeezing the lats and pulling back on the bar before beginning the movement

Friday 06/10/2017

Bench 5*5 @80% 80kg Learned my lesson from Monday
    UA Bent Row 3*10 60kg
    Chin Up 3*3 - Worked up to 20kg Dumbell, going to try and do 3 straight sets at that weight next week

Had to do Day four on Friday as I was away on the Sat

Front Squat 3*5 @70% - 75kg Felt grand so going to go heavier on these to keep up the squatting

Hammer Curls 3*10
    Dips 3*5-10 - 2sets of 10, last set of 8, all with a weight vest on (need to find out weight of vest :))

• Advertisement

Deadlift program for the next few weeks is the Coen Philippa Deadlift program working up to a max 200kg

Bench will be a cycle of Smolov for the 4 weeks before the comp

Monday 09/11/2017

Incline Bench 4*4@70% 70kg Still pausing for a second on the chest

Pendlay Row 5*5 70kg

Pull up 3*7 - 7, 7, 5, 5

BB Curls 3*20 - 20kg

Banded Pushdowns 3*20 - Black Band

Core - Ab Wheel Roll outs 4*10 with a weighted vest

Wed 11/10/2017

Deadlift 1*2 85% 170kg

Speed Deadlift 3*3 70% 140kg

Stiff Legged Deadlift 3*5 100kg

Arched Back GM 3*5 70kg

Chest to bar Pull ups - 3*5 pulling sternum to bar with a slow lowering

Deadlift felt quicker this week than last even with the increase. My left lat loosens on the heavier sets so I need to watch that but otherwise felt fine. Next week is 180 so that will be a real test

Throwing sets of pull ups in every day now, none are to failure and I'm concentrating on scap movement at the bottom so its not just momentum getting me over the bar

Fri 13/10/2017

Bench 5*5 @80% 82.5kg

UA Bent Row 3*10 70kg

Chin Up 3*3 20kg DB

Sat 14/10/2017

F Squat 3*5 @ 70% 80kg

Strict Press 5*5 30kg

CS Row 3*10 60kg

Hammer Curls 3*10 17.5

Dips 4*8 - Worked up to 25kg on the dip belt

Straight forward enough for a Sat morning, went light on the rows to really get the squeeze at the top

Wed 18/11/2017

Deadlift 1*2@90% 180kg Nope

Speed Deadlift 3*3@ 75% 150kg And Nope again

Stiff Legged Deadlift 2*5 110kg

Arched Back GM 2*5 80kg Too heavy, lost the stretch at the bottom, should have stayed with 70kg

First time training in the morning so I'm putting the failed lifts down to that.
    I was watching the clock so may have rushed the warm up but even the lighter sets felt heavy
    Deadlift didn't even budge of the ground, 160kg went up fine though

Speeds weren't happening at 75% so went back to 120kg

Monday 23/10/2017

Bench 6*6@ 70% - 72.5kg

Pendlay Rows - 5*5 60kg

Barbell Curls 3*10 20kg

Banded Pushdowns 4*15 Black Band

Pull Ups 3*3 Sternum to bar

First day of smolov jr cycle, might have to drop the percentage slightly to progress every week but overall it was fine.
    No missed reps and nothing to failure

Have to fit a deadlift day in as well this week so that could be interesting :(

Wed 25/10/2017

Deadlift - 1*2@92.5% (182.5kg) Big Fat Nope nope on this. Got up to 170kg for 2 and nothing else moved after that.

Speed Deadlift - 3*5 @75% Dropped to 120kg and nothing speedy about it

Bench 7*5@ 75% 80kg Easy, surprisingly so.

Coen philipi program at 6:30am is not agreeing with me.
    Plan for next week is train deadlifts in the evening, no increases until I pass 90% for 2.

If that doesn't work I'll stick at the lower % for reps rather than missing sets each session

Fri 27/10/2017

Bench 8*4 @80% 85kg

UnderArm Bent over row 3*8 80kg

Pull Up 4*3

SLDL 3*10 80kg 90kg 100kg

Bench is still feeling fine, no sets were to failure so interested to see how I get on next week with the increase

• Advertisement
Advertisement