Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEKO Dryer Recall.

Options
  • 18-07-2017 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just got a call from someone in the UK that said they represent BEKO.
    They then said they are recalling some dryers and they think I have one of them.
    I do have a BEKO dryer I bought in Currys a few years ago.
    I'm kind of amazed they got my number.. which got me thinkin it could be a scam somehow.. then again they had my surname as well...so...

Maybe, maybe not... but I was just wondering did anyone else get a similar call.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 82,869 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you registered the product they would have youe contact details. It's something you should get sorted, many reports of fires...

http://news.sky.com/story/beko-fire-risk-alert-for-thousands-of-tumble-dryers-10898467

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If they have your name and it's genuine, they will also be able to tell you the exact model and when you bought it.

You know the way when you phone a bank and they ask you a couple of 'security questions', well do the same when someone calls you. (1) What is the model (2) where and when did I buy it (3) what's the serial number (4) is there a website where you have published details of this safety alert?

The trick when you get these phone calls is to make the information flow one-way i.e. you make them provide you with data and not the other way around. So when they say 'I'd just like to confirm some details....' make sure that you do not provide any data that you wouldn't give to a complete stranger on the doorstep. No date of birth and (especially) no credit card details and if they suggest sending someone around, do not spit out something like 'oh no you can't come on Tuesday, there's never anyone here on Tuesdays'.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

seamus wrote: »

Thanks for that.
    I went through the process and did the check on the serial number and apparently the dryer IS affected.

I should be getting a call from them again so.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Ahh yeah, I work in computers so I'm familiar with the old 'social engineering' idea... hence the post.
    Hadn't thought to ask about a web page to confirm the details tho.. good idea...

coylemj wrote: »
    If they have your name and it's genuine, they will also be able to tell you the exact model and when you bought it.

You know the way when you phone a bank and they ask you a couple of 'security questions', well do the same when someone calls you. (1) What is the model (2) where and when did I buy it (3) what's the serial number (4) is there a website where you have published details of this safety alert?

The trick when you get these phone calls is to make the information flow one-way i.e. you make them provide you with data and not the other way around. So when they say 'I'd just like to confirm some details....' make sure that you do not provide any data that you wouldn't give to a complete stranger on the doorstep. No date of birth and (especially) no credit card details and if they suggest sending someone around, do not spit out something like 'oh no you can't come on Tuesday, there's never anyone here on Tuesdays'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement