Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled or not

Options
  • 18-07-2017 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all my partner of 7 years was in a 12 year relationship before me which she bought a house with her ex(in both names)he is now looking for that pay day my question to you is say he is intitled to 20000 when we get married which will be before court will I be entitled to anything so I get his sum lowered??there is about 90000 paid on morgage and he only paid 8700 which has all been proven but he will get something I know that but I wish it was as low as he deserves as he is a dead beat alcoholic

Comments

That is surely a question you should be asking your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Carroller1905

That is surely a question you should be asking your solicitor.
    Ye I know I'll well meet him next week just said I'd try my hand see if any body had some feedback

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ye I know I'll well meet him next week just said I'd try my hand see if any body had some feedback

No one here can give you that information

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

but I wish it was as low as he deserves as he is a dead beat alcoholic

Im sorry but if youre looking to get a slice out of a property owned by your partner and her ex, you cant really be going around calling him a deadbeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Hi all my partner of 7 years was in a 12 year relationship before me which she bought a house with her ex(in both names)he is now looking for that pay day my question to you is say he is intitled to 20000 when we get married which will be before court will I be entitled to anything so I get his sum lowered??there is about 90000 paid on morgage and he only paid 8700 which has all been proven but he will get something I know that but I wish it was as low as he deserves as he is a dead beat alcoholic

There are loads of factors at play here. How long did they live together before the breakup. He maybe entitled to half straight away regardless of how much he paid. I think the main issue is if they lived in the house for over two years. As they were together for 12 years he basically has the rights of married person when it comes to the property.
    They did this so women couldn't be kicked out of the house and not get a share. It works both ways and she was effectively married to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not necessarily. If, for example, she continued her career while she stayed at home and raised the kids, then his contribution to the relationship will be assessed totally differently.

Each case is different, and the final answer is determined by the court, not back-of-an-envelope sums. Your partner needs to sort out her situation as part of the divorce / separation settlement - with legal advice of course.. It's not your problem to sort out. Even if you marry her, it's still not your problem.

I you've been living in his-and-her house for the seven years and paying rent, then I hope she has been declaring it for tax purposes (first 12, now 14k is tax free, but it needs to be declared). If you've been gifting her money that was used to pay the mortgage, then the tax implications of this also need to be considered (there's a tax-free threshold each year, I'm not sure what it is though, and how things work if you go over it).

Also, if you've been co-habitating for more than five years, then I think you do have some rights regarding needing agreeing to any sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Hi all my partner of 7 years was in a 12 year relationship before me which she bought a house with her ex(in both names)he is now looking for that pay day my question to you is say he is intitled to 20000 when we get married which will be before court will I be entitled to anything so I get his sum lowered??

I don't think there is any way you could do that.
    There is no reason whatsoever in the law that would entitle you to the property of your partners ex.
    This is between the two owners.
    It's absurd.

Advertisement