Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2006 MacBook, not booting

• 18-07-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, I got a present of a 2006 MacBook 1.1 [a1181] which won't boot, it only shows a 'flashing file' symbol and it chimes once. I tried an official "i Mac Install Disc 1 Ver 2.1.5[94]"with Mac OS Ver 10.4.7. An Apple symbol appears on a blue screen. It reports:- "this software cannot be installed on this computer". So the MacBook appears to be alive, so what disc do I need to get it working and where would I get them?

Thanks,
    Apple newbie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

You'll need to get the correct disks for that model Macbook, unfortunately an iMac disk wont help at all.
    This may be what you need http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-MacBook-2009-A1181-Software-Install-DVD-Discs-OS-X-2Z691-6531-A-/222553577798?hash=item33d13a1946:g:qk8AAOSwVL1WCROB

Same model number, but they do mention 2009, maybe someone else can confirm this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6) is as far as that machine will go - have a look here.

If you can find the retail version on eBay or the like you should be able to install it assuming the DVD-ROM is still working. Nice machine to play with but not much use for any modern software. It's limited to 2GB RAM officially but in reality it can take 4GB I seem to recall.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

ZENER wrote: »
    It's limited to 2GB RAM officially but in reality it can take 4GB I seem to recall.

It's limited to 3GB*, but i remember test being done which showed better performance from 2x2gb stick vs 2x1 gb stick. *It might be something to do with the maximum being 3.3gb or something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Patrickglen

Thanks for the help so far. Does this mean that I can load Snow Leopard/10.6.8 on an empty hard disk or do I need to load it with 10.4.6 first? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

That'll run up as far as OSX Lion. I'd recommend doing a clean install of Lion, if you can lay your hands on an install disk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement