Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork businesses threaten to move due to buskers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I work very near Oliver Plunkett St and some of the buskers are ridiculous. Big amplifiers and the same repetitive songs all the time. Definitely agree. Lose the amps or at least turn them way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Do ye not like wonderwall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Buskers are grand. The ones who use amplifiers and microphones need a dose of get over yourself though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Buskers, never had an issue with them. Aggressive beggars who walk up and demand money - that is what lowers people's wish to go to the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Manach wrote: »
    Buskers, never had an issue with them. Aggressive beggars who walk up and demand money - that is what lowers people's wish to go to the city centre.

Ya it's not happening every time I'm in the City but I have noticed I get stopped more then ever last 12 months.

Even happened on a Sunday morning at 7.30am last month about 10 or so in small gangs asking for money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Manach wrote: »

Beggars don't bother me in work. Buskers with amps on the other hand.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I worked in Marlboro Street for many years and there was an elderly couple used to sit on the corner with Oliver Plunkett Street and play the Marino Waltz over and over and over and over.... I hate that tune now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That amped up folk/balad/comeonallye band that play on St. Patrick's Street are ridiculously loud. It's like a full on gig. I could still clearly hear them from the bottom of Patrick's Hill, once. Haven't noticed them in a while,though.

For me, it's a volume thing. The harmonica player that's been around for years is amped but not too loud so I'm not sure banning amps is the answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I work very near Oliver Plunkett St and some of the buskers are ridiculous. Big amplifiers and the same repetitive songs all the time. Definitely agree. Lose the amps or at least turn them way down.

That woman with the amp is a pain in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

That amped up folk/balad/comeonallye band that play on St. Patrick's Street are ridiculously loud. It's like a full on gig. I could still clearly hear them from the bottom of Patrick's Hill, once. Haven't noticed them in a while,though.

For me, it's a volume thing. The harmonica player that's been around for years is amped but not too loud so I'm not sure banning amps is the answer.
    Assuming we are thinking of the same band, I passed them last week. I could hardly hear the person I was talking to. The painter guy (who I have no problem with) was also playing loud music on an amp. I get busking on Oliver Plunked Street/its side streets when it is quiet, but a lot of the time the busking on Patrick's Street is obnoxiously loud and (just for me personally) a very aquired taste of music, and one I do not like. There was a guy playing a saxophone by Penneys a week or two ago and that was very welcome - on top of not being something I hear often, it was loud where you could hear it but not too loud where it was all you could hear. I saw a similar thing last weekend on Paul Street when a man had a piano. Maybe it is just when it is instruments it is good, rather than a full band with a vocalist?

I have also only been approached by someone for money once, many years ago. I assume you all mean people asking for "money for the bus to Dublin" and not people sitting on the street begging because I have no problem with the latter. As in, no problem with them doing it, obviously I have a problem with that they are in a situation where they have to do it and I would rather they have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ban the shaggin amps. My god they are a pain.

And the aggressive beggars can bite me as well. I'm carrying a child in one arm, and hauling a hoover in the other, (be ause I just cleaned a flat to get ready quicker for tenants rather than waiting for a cleaning service), with a bag slung over the shoulder... racing to drop her off before getting to work, hurridly mutter a "no, sorry" as a drunk git blocks my path. And then I get a string of abuse? "Don't you care about the homeless" . Sigh. What I REALLY want to say is a giant F U. I am keeping myself and the other people in my family from being homeless by working crazy hours you complete arsehole. Quit picking on women who clearly have their hands full. Anytime I am in the city with a baby or buggy it's like a magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Agree totally. The business owners are spot on. you can hear some of the buskers 100s of metres away. I can only imagine how excruciating it must be to work near somene with an amp, who is making sh*t out of some Oasis song.

That guy outside Brown Thomas taking up half the street with is 1916 drawing needs to go also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mean gene wrote: »
    That woman with the amp is a pain in the hole

Wailing, moaning and screeching some dirge most of the time.

Nails on a blackboard stuff.
    Better suited to ridding a house of vermin than entertainment.

Advertisement