Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stormont power sharing talks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,243 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not particularly no as I have expressed my views on these issues before. I would allow gay marriage to pass but that is just me personally. I wouldn't want to pay for a ILA.

Yes, I am not that interested in your personal views,(why do people hide behind them when asked to comment on the general picture) I am interested in your views on the voting record of those you claim are not religiously fundamentalist.

The record speaks for itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Not particularly no as I have expressed my views on these issues before. I would allow gay marriage to pass but that is just me personally. I wouldn't want to pay for a ILA.

Yes, I am not that interested in your personal views,(why do people hide behind them when asked to comment on the general picture)  I am interested in your views on the voting record of those you claim are not religiously fundamentalist.

The record speaks for itself.
    I didn't say they weren't, I said the population of NI is not 'fundamentalist', whatever that means nowadays. People vote for SF and DUP out of habit, a pig with a rosette would get elected in some parts of NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I didn't say they weren't, I said the population of NI is not 'fundamentalist', whatever that means nowadays. People vote for SF and DUP out of habit, a pig with a rosette would get elected in some parts of NI.

Tbf they have remarkable similarities to the free state here

It took a collapse of record proportion for people to stop voting ff and inspite of that they are back polling nearly as strongly again :(

Tbf they have remarkable similarities to the free state here

It took a collapse of record proportion for people to stop voting ff and inspite of that they are back polling nearly as strongly again :(
    I saw that recently, FF probably will be in government soon enough. People soon forget in a normal democracy.

No they don't and the record speaks for itself there as well.

It isn't that long ago that the UUP were the main Unionist party, with the same result for the rights mentioned.
    And the SDLP were once a much stronger force than they are now.

So you are wrong in your analysis.

I saw that recently, FF probably will be in government soon enough. People soon forget in a normal democracy.

It's bloody ridcolus ff are effectively in government atm

And will have most likely a say in the next.....in a united Ireland, I'd imagine unionists (well of uni9n8st background then??)most likely have a say after most elections in government and while ff and fg look worringly at nationalist vote and SF.

Completely ignore the million or so unionists (circa 20 - 25% population in a ui) who will make good on putting either into government

No they don't and the record speaks for itself there as well.

It isn't that long ago that the UUP were the main Unionist party, with the same result for the rights mentioned.
    And the SDLP were once a much stronger force than they are now.

So you are wrong in your analysis.
    SF and the DUP have been running the show for over a decade now, they will continue the carve up for the foreseeable, people DO vote for them because they aren't the other. I have seen with my own eyes, it constantly happens. The sh*t parties constantly get elected to power in NI.

SF and the DUP have been running the show for over a decade now, they will continue the carve up for the foreseeable, people DO vote for them because they aren't the other. I have seen with my own eyes, it constantly happens. The sh*t parties constantly get elected to power in NI.

People vote because they agree with the policies of the party.
    Unionists like Nationalists have a choice of who they are going to vote for.

Unionists vote for a party which again and again block the rights available to everyone else on these islands from a culturally bigoted (incontestable based on the record of the DUP on cultural matters) and religiously fundamentalist grounds (incontestable, given the utterances of the DUP on LGBT issues and their voting record, posted above)

NO other party does this in northern Ireland, nor offers it as policy.
    What does that say about unionists?

People vote because they agree with the policies of the party.
    Unionists like Nationalists have a choice of who they are going to vote for.

Unionists vote for a party which again and again block the rights available to everyone else on these islands from a culturally bigoted (incontestable based on the record of the DUP on cultural matters) and religiously fundamentalist grounds (incontestable, given the utterances of the DUP on LGBT issues and their voting record, posted above)

NO other party does this in northern Ireland, nor offers it as policy.
    What does that say about unionists?
    If you think we are evil, then fine. Think that. I really don't care. The bit in bold, don't make me laugh. :D Most people don't even read the manifestos or what policy they have on health or education. It's what foot they kick with.

• Advertisement

If you think we are evil, then fine. Think that. I really don't care. The bit in bold, don't make me laugh. :D Most people don't even read the manifestos or what policy they have on health or education. It's what foot they kick with.

That is a thundering disgrace,but I do believe it to be true

I didn't say anyone was 'evil', stop putting words in my mouth please.

So you don't care about religious fundamentalist policies and cultural bigotry in your name as long as the other side...etc etc?

Is that what you are saying?

I didn't say anyone was 'evil', stop putting words in my mouth please.

So you don't care about religious fundamentalist policies and cultural bigotry in your name as long as the other side...etc etc?

Is that what you are saying?
    I am saying what I am saying. Take from it what you want. I have made myself very clear. You seem to hate us, which is fine.

That is a thundering disgrace,but I do believe it to be true
    It absolutely is true and I think the poster arguing against it is living on another planet if he thinks it isn't the case. Most people here don't give a sh*t about general policies.

I am saying what I am saying. Take from it what you want. I have made myself very clear. You seem to hate us, which is fine.

:rolleyes: No point continuing. Good luck.

I don't hate anyone but maybe if you stood up openly for what you clearly support you would gain respect.

:rolleyes: No point continuing. Good luck.

I don't hate anyone but maybe if you stood up openly for what you clearly support you would gain respect.
    That isn't what I gathered from the posts. I have already explained my view on those policies.

• Advertisement

That isn't what I gathered from the posts. I have already explained my view on those policies.

Yet you, like Blanch and others, have never criticised the DUP on their own, for what they have been doing since the GFA. Behaviour which has finally brought down the executive.

This is never going to end until people like you and Blanch are prepared to call a spade a spade.

*If any other party in northern Ireland is blocking progress to normality on religious or cultural grounds then the onus is on you to point it out if you are going to claim 'they are all the same'.

Yet you, like Blanch and others, have never criticised the DUP on their own, for what they have been doing since the GFA. Behaviour which has finally brought down the executive.

This is never going to end until people like you and Blanch are prepared to call a spade a spade.

*If any other party in northern Ireland is blocking progress to normality on religious or cultural grounds then the onus is on you  to point it out if you are going to claim 'they are all the same'.
    Post error.

*If any other party in northern Ireland is blocking progress to normality on religious or cultural grounds then the onus is on you  to point it out if you are going to claim 'they are all the same'.
    I already said I am happy it collapsed, I believe it fundamentally doesn't work. I don't know what else to tell you on this issue.

I already said I am happy it collapsed, I believe it fundamentally doesn't work. I don't know what else to tell you on this issue.

Just keep ignoring the actual points being made.
    Yet you, like Blanch and others, have never criticised the DUP on their own, for what they have been doing since the GFA.

It was designed to work, if everyone behaved honestly without reneging on their responsibilities.

As I said, the record speaks clearly and honestly for itself.

Just keep ignoring the actual points being made.
    Yet you, like Blanch and others, have never criticised the DUP on their own, for what they have been doing since the GFA.

It was designed to work, if everyone behaved honestly without reneging on their responsibilities.

As I said, the record speaks clearly and honestly for itself.
    Mandatory coalition will never work in a democracy. Unworkable, never going to be sustainable. It needs scrapped.

• Advertisement

Mandatory coalition will never work in a democracy. Unworkable, never going to be sustainable. It needs scrapped.

Religious fundamentalism and cultural bigotry (both engaged in by the DUP since the GFA) will not work in a democracy.

Mandatory coalition will work in post conflict societies if all parties are honest and committed to democratic means.

Religious fundamentalism and cultural bigotry (both engaged in by the DUP since the GFA) will not work in a democracy.

Mandatory coalition will work in post conflict societies if all parties are honest and committed to democratic means.
    Good luck with that one. Not going to work, never will, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,487 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What a load of rubbish. Nobody here has ever defended the DUP position on same-sex marriage. In fact it has been strongly criticised by nearly everybody.

As for the "they are not the same" piece, this is my position. Both of the main parties in the North are obnoxious sectarian failures in my opinion. Whether one gets an E grade rather than an F grade in a contest between them to see which is the worst is of zero interest to me.

Well as somebody above says, it will be run jointly. May not be official, but effectively that is what will happen.
    Westminster wouldn't scratch itself with regard to northern Ireland without full consultation with Dublin.

Well as somebody above says, it will be run jointly. May not be official, but effectively that is what will happen.
    Westminster wouldn't scratch itself with regard to northern Ireland without full consultation with Dublin.
    You do make me laugh Francie, 'not official', gosh. I don't know where to go with that one. We are now entering pipe dream territory.

blanch152 wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. Nobody here has ever defended the DUP position on same-sex marriage. In fact it has been strongly criticised by nearly everybody.

As for the "they are not the same" piece, this is my position. Both of the main parties in the North are obnoxious sectarian failures in my opinion. Whether one gets an E grade rather than an F grade in a contest between them to see which is the worst is of zero interest to me.

You cannot point to one post of yours that singles out the DUP for criticism, yet the record shows they are the ONLY party repeatedly engaging in religious discrimination and cultural bigotry (see the evidence of that posted already in this thread)
    They are simply NOT all the same and it is time that people who claim that they are, are stood up to. With the facts.

You do make me laugh Francie, 'not official', gosh. I don't know where to go with that one. We are now entering pipe dream territory.

It won't be official because the rabble will be encouraged to engage in Never Never Never wrecking again.
    But it will be the case.
    Suits me fine.

It won't be official because the rabble will be encouraged to engage in Never Never Never wrecking again.
    But it will be the case.
    Suits me fine.
    :D If you say so. Bizarre but there you go. People believe a lot of odd things in society now.

You cannot point to one post of yours that singles out the DUP for criticism, yet the record shows they are the ONLY party repeatedly engaging in religious discrimination and cultural bigotry (see the evidence of that posted already in this thread)
    They are simply NOT all the same and it is time that people who claim that they are, are stood up to. With the facts.
    They rejected an Ulster Scots language act alongside ILA. Conor Murphy was found guilty in court of discriminating against a Protestant on religious grounds. 

http://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-minister-found-guilty-of-religious-discrimination-495007-Jun2012/

I could list so many things Sinn Fein have done against Protestants.

:D If you say so. Bizarre but there you go. People believe a lot of odd things in society now.

You have a curious ability to ignore realities and facts. Like the voting record of the DUP.

Westminster have been and will liaise on everything that happens on this island.
    You would have to be blind not to see that.

• Advertisement

You have a curious ability to ignore realities and facts. Like the voting record of the DUP.

Westminster have been and will liaise on everything that happens on this island.
    You would have to be blind not to see that.
    You keep making things up about the Irish state having joint authority when it has already been denied. 
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/notion-of-joint-authority-in-north-is-all-smoke-and-mirrors-1.3002653
    http://www.irishnews.com/news/politicalnews/2017/01/18/news/british-government-says-no-joint-rule-for-north-892119/
    http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/05/31/news/tories-rule-out-joint-authority-for-north-1040479/

They rejected an Ulster Scots language act alongside ILA.

No they didn't. SF have again and again said they have no problem recognising the place of Ulster Scots.
    The problem in the Executive is that the DUP have blocked a portion of the St Andrews agreement that agreed to a standalone ILA.

Conor Murphy was found guilty in court of discriminating against a Protestant on religious grounds. 

http://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-minister-found-guilty-of-religious-discrimination-495007-Jun2012/
    And he was rightly criticised for it and penalised.

Ok, show us where and when SF have blocked rights available to every citizen on these islands or previously agreed clauses in the GFA or St Andrew's agreement.
    Then you can show us how the SDLP, The Alliance and UUP are doing it on anything approaching the scale the DUP are and have been doing it.

Which would be fine if I said 'joint authority',.
    They won't announce it officially because a certain party will whip it's supporters into a frenzy about it.
    But we all know (including I suspect, even you) what the reality will be. The UK is not going back to the 70 or 80's.

They rejected an Ulster Scots language act alongside ILA.

No they didn't. SF have again and again said they have no problem recognising the place of Ulster Scots.
    The problem in the Executive is that the DUP have blocked a portion of the St Andrews agreement that agreed to a standalone ILA.

Conor Murphy was found guilty in court of discriminating against a Protestant on religious grounds. 

And he was rightly criticised for it and penalised.

Ok, show us where and when SF have blocked rights available to every citizen on these islands or previously agreed clauses in the GFA or St Andrew's agreement.
    Then you can show us how the SDLP, The Alliance and UUP are doing it on anything approaching the scale the DUP are and have been doing it.
    I just did. The DUP wanted to include an Ulster Sots act alongside an ILA and they rejected it.

Which would be fine if I said 'joint authority',.
    They won't announce it officially because a certain party will whip it's supporters into a frenzy about it.
    But we all know (including I suspect, even you) what the reality will be. The UK is not going back to the 70 or 80's.
    What are you on about? You are talking about constitutional issues here, do you think people are too thick to not notice such a thing? I genuinely smiled when you said officially as if no one will notice or it's constitutionally legal.

I just did.

No you didn't. You said you could show how SF had done things that were against Protestants.

How is recognising that Ulster Scots is an important part of our heritage, 'doing something against Protestants'?

I just did.

No you didn't. You said you could show how SF had done things that were against Protestants.

How is recognising that Ulster Scots is an important part of our heritage, 'doing something against Protestants'?
    They rejected having an act for it. That is "discriminating" against many people who enjoy such a thing. Then you have all the dead bodies.

What are you on about? You are talking about constitutional issues here, do you think people are too thick to not notice such a thing? I genuinely smiled when you said officially as if no one will notice or it's constitutionally legal.

Arlene 'didn't' notice very recently when Dublin got involved, right enough. :D

Dublin will be consulted if the Executive cannot be got up and running. Westminster will not scratch itself with regard to northern Ireland without discussing it with Dublin first. That is the new dispensation and it has been going on since the GFA. Joint rule to all intents and purposes.

They rejected having an act for it. That is "discriminating" against many people who enjoy such a thing. Then you have all the dead bodies.

No, they have no problem with an Ulster Scots act if that is neccessary.
    They (the SDLP and The Alliance) want a previous agreement on an ILA implemented, that is discriminating against no-one. Unless objecting to an agreement not being met is 'discriminating'?

• Advertisement

Arlene 'didn't' notice very recently when Dublin got involved, right enough. :D

Dublin will be consulted if the Executive cannot be got up and running. Westminster will not scratch itself with regard to northern Ireland without discussing it with Dublin first. That is the new dispensation and it has been going on since the GFA. Joint rule to all intents and purposes.
    That is just unbelievable mental gymnastics. Joint authority isn't happening, as shown by the links. You have some crazed idea that Dublin would govern NI when that is just fanciful nonsense. The British government might discuss issues regarding Brexit with the Irish state and other such issues but joint authority, no.

No, they have no problem with an Ulster Scots act if that is neccessary.
    They (the SDLP and The Alliance) want a previous agreement on an ILA implemented, that is discriminating against no-one. Unless objecting to an agreement not being met is 'discriminating'?
    DUP didn't sign up to an ILA ever.

I have read many views from Southerners on here who say don't bother with an Act, saying it's not worth it, it's a waste of time, waste of money etc on a lot of threads regarding the Irish language. So I take it from them it probably isn't worth it.

As I said, I am not interested in whether one obnoxious sectarian party is less repugnant than another obnoxious sectarian party. It is like serving me up a choice between cowsh!t and horsesh!t for dinner and asking me which has the better taste.

That is just unbelievable mental gymnastics. Joint authority isn't happening, as shown by the links. You have some crazed idea that Dublin would govern NI when that is just fanciful nonsense. The British government might discuss issues regarding Brexit with the Irish state and other such issues but joint authority, no.

I didn't say 'joint authority and no amount of twisting will make that so.

Seems anything that is brought up is met with the Never Never Never answer, despite the very obvious realities facing you. Actual voting records, actual statements and deeds.

I will leave discussing this with you as we are just repeating the same stuff.

As I said, I am not interested in whether one obnoxious sectarian party is less repugnant than another obnoxious sectarian party. It is like serving me up a choice between cowsh!t and horsesh!t for dinner and asking me which has the better taste.

Still waiting for the 'nationalist' to show a post where he singled out the DUP for criticism.
    I suppose it is SF's fault that the DUP vote along religiously fundamentalist lines too?
    Or maybe it's the SDLP's fault that the DUP demean the Irish language in the Executive whenever they get the chance.
    Or the Alliance's fault when they find one of their offices and reps targeted by leaflets when they back a move towards 'normality'?

Still waiting for either of you to list evidence that actually shows 'they are all the same' at blocking rights and reneging on implementing agreements.

I have no problem with you not liking/politically differing with SF, what is galling is this repeated claim (without backup) that they are dragging their feet as much as the DUP are. They simply aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

United Kingdom or United Ireland is my opinion, no middle ground.

United Kingdom or United Ireland is my opinion, no middle ground.
    Constitutionally NI is part of the UK. So that answers that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Constitutionally NI is part of the UK. So that answers that.

The northeast of Ireland is currently under UK jurisdiction subject to change as laid out in the GFA.

The northeast of Ireland is currently under UK jurisdiction subject to change as laid out in the GFA.

A constitutional limbo as it has taken an international agreement between 2 governments and a parallel one between its political parties to rescue it from it's cataclysmic failure.

Only a blind person would pretend that the parties to the inter governmental part of the agreement won't fully liase with each other on policy. Neither of them want to go back to the bad days.

Still waiting for the 'nationalist' to show a post where he singled out the DUP for criticism.
    I suppose it is SF's fault that the DUP vote along religiously fundamentalist lines too?
    Or maybe it's the SDLP's fault that the DUP demean the Irish language in the Executive whenever they get the chance.
    Or the Alliance's fault when they find one of their offices and reps targeted by leaflets when they back a move towards 'normality'?

Still waiting for either of you to list evidence that actually shows 'they are all the same' at blocking rights and reneging on implementing agreements.

I have no problem with you not liking/politically differing with SF, what is galling is this repeated claim (without backup) that they are dragging their feet as much as the DUP are. They simply aren't.

I know you care passionately that SF should not be seen as being as bad as the DUP but to rational outsiders it is a pointless debate.

I am not saying "they are all the same", rather I am saying that they are both obnoxious sectarian parties. At this point in time, perhaps the DUP are worse, then again they are not selling sectarian terrorist badges on their website. However, when Birmingham, Brighton and Canary Wharf were being bombed, SF were definitely worse. Overall, where is the balance between the two? Who knows and who cares?

Only certain Republicans it seems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement