Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good guitar bands in the city?

Options
  • 18-07-2017 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Id like to hear good guitar players, is there some playing in the pubs in Galway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

What type of music?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 guitarguy18

I like blues and rock I really just love all guitar music. I would like to see all the pro players and talk to them and get ideas.
    Yes.

What type of music?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Check out Play in the Cellar bar. Always worth a look.

xtradel wrote: »
    Check out Play in the Cellar bar. Always worth a look.

Thanks what night do they play, is the guitar player good. Can you recommend more bands with really good guitarists

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The streets of Galway are paved with good guitarists.

Check out the buskers, you'll find them on Shop St / High St. Look for Paul Taylor and Nicole Bleu especially.

Check out whoever is playing in the pubs in the west: Monroes, Roisin Dubh, Blue Note etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Thanks what night do they play, is the guitar player good. Can you recommend more bands with really good guitarists

Play does have a house band but it's also a showcase for new talent. If you click on the link you'll see that it happens on Monday nights.

The streets of Galway are paved with good guitarists.

Check out the buskers, you'll find them on Shop St / High St. Look for Paul Taylor and Nicole Bleu especially.

Check out whoever is playing in the pubs in the west: Monroes, Roisin Dubh, Blue Note etc.

Thanks.

I'm really looking for bands with good guitarists. To see how they do it it's a learning thing for me. I think you will learn from watching pros the best guys you can.

Can you recommend any?

I know Paul Taylor but he's not the type of guitar player im looking to find. I should of specified im looking for professional bands with really good guitar players preferably blues and classic rock.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No Stairway are a good Led Zeppelin tribute act, they play under a couple of other names when they're not just doing Zeppelin too. Often play in the cellar and Seven.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No Stairway are a good Led Zeppelin tribute act, they play under a couple of other names when they're not just doing Zeppelin too. Often play in the cellar and Seven.

Thanks.this sounds like what I want

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks.this sounds like what I want

I think 4 Mile Circus is the other name they play under.

• Advertisement

i would love to see them especialy Frankie playing guitar is there any place they play now or I can see Frankie. My dad told me some many stories

• Registered Users Posts: 18 flyingvisit

Rock n'roll circus finished up in either 86 or 87. Frankie has played with the conquerors since then. Ive heard many stories about them to they were apparently very very good.

Galway guitar night is on the first Tuesday of every second month in the loft.

Galway guitar night is on the first Tuesday of every second month in the loft.

That sounds good. Is it next month. Is there any bands that I can see every week with really good players.

Phil Joyce with blue moose is a guy you need to see one of the best in the country, he plays upstairs in the quays sometimes, a real top drawer player and a great great band. Bernard naughton and Declan Collins 2 legends have done it all and played with everyone 2 top players that gig in town regularly. James Richardson plays with pyramid in the quays bar every sunday he is just fantastic. John Colohan plays with the weightless astronauts they are a wedding band that play upstairs in the quays every Sunday undoubtedly brilliant but mightn't get a chance to shine doing the wedding band. Thursday nights in the quays bar Clint Coen plays with the glass onion band, worth checking out they are different from other bands with lots of rocking guitar. Rick Harris (my favourite,) plays s jazz duo in Salthill Sunday evenings you MUST hear him he is a god, he also does lots of shows. Play in the cellar Monday always features great talent. That's to mention just a few worth hearing. A good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

All the names mentioned on here are good, some are more lead players, some more rhythm. Play in the Cellar is a good way to meet people from different bands if you are new to town, and there's definitely some talented guitarists that go. Galway Guitar Night is supposed to be great too, someone already mentioned it.

Thanks inis boffin, I love lead. Im watching Gary Moore at montreux on youtube now, is there players doing type of gig in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks inis boffin, I love lead. Im watching Gary Moore at montreux on youtube now, is there players doing type of gig in the city

Yep, you'll get some good lead guitarists usually at both the gigs mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you check what music there is a GIAF?
    http://www.giaf.ie/events/category/music

biko wrote: »
    Did you check what music there is a GIAF?
    http://www.giaf.ie/events/category/music
    I did.

Not my thing. Just want to see/hear/talk to good guitar players in band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Phil Joyce with blue moose is a guy you need to see one of the best in the country, he plays upstairs in the quays sometimes, a real top drawer player and a great great band. Bernard naughton and Declan Collins 2 legends have done it all and played with everyone 2 top players that gig in town regularly. James Richardson plays with pyramid in the quays bar every sunday he is just fantastic. John Colohan plays with the weightless astronauts they are a wedding band that play upstairs in the quays every Sunday undoubtedly brilliant but mightn't get a chance to shine doing the wedding band. Thursday nights in the quays bar Clint Coen plays with the glass onion band, worth checking out they are different from other bands with lots of rocking guitar. Rick Harris (my favourite,) plays s jazz duo in Salthill Sunday evenings you MUST hear him he is a god, he also does lots of shows. Play in the cellar Monday always features great talent. That's to mention just a few worth hearing. A good start.

Where and at what time in salthill does Rick Harris play?

The black cat tapas restaurant. Sometime in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Guitarguy18 you should really change your name to fretwank2000

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »

Thanks. I just would like to hear good players in galway bands. My dad can give me a lift in to city. I like to meet pro guys and talk to them. I do like Rory Gallagher a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

McTigs wrote: »
    Guitarguy18 you should really change your name to fretwank2000

Why

My dad told me about a band mojo he remembers playing. any info on mojo. He said sally longs had really good bands with great guitar players boxtie and nasty habit he said big generator were brilliant. 25 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

The streets of Galway are paved with average guitarists.

Check out the buskers, you'll find them on Shop St / High St.  Look for Paul Taylor and Nicole Bleu especially.

Check out whoever is playing in the pubs in the west:    Monroes, Roisin Dubh, Blue Note etc.

Fixed that one for ya :angel:

• Advertisement

Paddico wrote: »
    Fixed that one for ya :angel:

Lol

Advertisement