Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trip form kerry to waterford ideas

Options
  • 18-07-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, me and my girlfriend are heading for a small break to waterford the end of this month. I am hoping to do a bit of a scenic road trip from tralee to waterford and i guess im looking for a nice long route with loads of little villages and stuff to see. I am driving an old landrover so we are in no rush to get anywhere and would like to avoid big main roads.

I guess im just looking for a little advice on a nice route and some nice things to do on the way to waterford and in and around waterford itself. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Get a good road map with plenty of detail on smaller roads - I use the Michelin map of Ireland ref 712.

The most direct route is Tralee-Castleisland-Ballydesmond-Mallow-Fermoy-Lismore-Dungarvan-Tramore-Waterford. By using your map you will see that there are plenty of opportunities to avoid N and even R roads by taking smaller roads from town to town. The only downside is that this route is not known for great scenery, apart from Fermoy to Lismore and Dungarvan to Tramore. The gardens in Lismore Castle are open to the public.

An alternative and very much longer route would be to go Killarney-Kenmare-Glengarriff-Bantry-Skibbereen-Clonakilty-Kinsale-Glenbrook(s side of Cork City)-ferry to Cobh-Middleton-Youghal-Dungarvan-Tramore-Waterford. Spectacular views along most of the route through west Cork and from Clon to Kinsale.

If that is too long you could go Killarney-Ballyvourney-Ballingeary-Inchigeelagh-Kilmichael-Baelnablath-Bandon-Inishannon-Kinsale, and then follow the Kinsale-Waterford route above.

Go n-eírí an bóthar libh whichever route you choose.

JonathonS wrote: »
    An alternative and very much longer route would be to go Killarney-Kenmare-Glengarriff-Bantry-Skibbereen-Clonakilty-Kinsale-Glenbrook(s side of Cork City)-ferry to Cobh-Middleton-Youghal-Dungarvan-Tramore-Waterford. Spectacular views along most of the route through west Cork and from Clon to Kinsale.

It's far longer, but about 12 times nicer than the first option!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

When you get closer to Waterford, Bunmahon and the copper coast are well worth a visit. And if you're willing to keep going a bit past the city, Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Depends where in Kerry you are leaving from but you could also go by Charleville/Kilfinnane and onto the 'Ballyhoura' area if u fancy a bit of mountain biking and a part of the country that really is off-the-beaten track and some great scenic drives. Wont be full of tourists. Then onto Mitchelstown and maybe take in Lismore (lovely village) and head down to the south coast to Ardmore if you like a decent beach. Then onto Dungarvan and take the coastal route to Waterford via Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

When you are in Waterford take a trip to Cheekpoint, there are a couple of pubs/restaurants there for lunch/dinner. A visit to Dunmore East is also a must.

Take the car ferry from Passage East to Ballyhack and drive down to visit Hook Head lighthouse. Return from Hook via Fethard and Saltmills, and visit Tintern Abbey. That's a nice day trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

In East Cork take a detour from Midleton to Ballycotton, Ballymaloe, Shanagarry, Ballymacoda. Lovely coastline and scenery.

Advertisement