Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What screwdrivers to buy for tiny screws in electronics?

Options
  • 18-07-2017 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

I have a few electronic devices that have Philips screw heads which range from normal to very tiny along with others I'm not sure that are not very common.

My friend has lent me his toolkit in the past but I find that some of the screwdrivers don't work and tend to strip the screw. I was wondering then if I could buy some pricey but effective screws in a shop online or around Dublin.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Same as used in glasses and jewellery, get some in opticians, jewellers or online.

Not sure if you are referring to screwdrivers or screws, but same answer for both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

srsly78 wrote: »
    Same as used in glasses and jewellery, get some in opticians, jewellers or online.

Not sure if you are referring to screwdrivers or screws, but same answer for both!

The screwdrivers (i.e I want to unscrew my computer but the normal toolkits at shops have screw heads that are too big and will almost certainly damage the computers screws.)

I wonder what those computer repair guys use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

jeanjolie wrote: »
    The screwdrivers (i.e I want to unscrew my computer but the normal toolkits at shops have screw heads that are too big and will almost certainly damage the computers screws.)

I wonder what those computer repair guys use.

I've a case of these upstairs for a my PC and HDD, I'll check and get back to ya when
    Home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Dealz does screwdriver sets -

http://www.dealz.ie/leisure-and-entertainment/diy-time-with-tommy-walsh/toolbox-essentials/tommy-walsh-precision-screwdriver-set

and

http://www.dealz.ie/leisure-and-entertainment/diy-time-with-tommy-walsh/toolbox-essentials/tommy-walsh-mini-screwdriver-set

For €1.50 each, they are great value and a handy addition to any computer kit. Think I actually have three sets of the pen screwdrivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

I have this set, I have used it on a few iPhone's and and tablets and what not, and it has all the drivers I needed
    https://eustore.ifixit.com/en/Tools/Toolkits/Classic-Pro-Tech-Toolkit.html
    I think the smallest Philips in the set is a PH 000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It's simply a precision screw driver set you want, even Argus stocks them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Honestly, the number of times I've had to take apart a laptop after some numpty got at it with tiny "computer" screwdrivers and ruined the screws . . . why do people assume you HAVE to use tiny screwdrivers when working on computers ?! They might look cool neatly packed in a case but that's it.

Most laptops will use 3mm x 2mm, 5mm x 2mm. 8mm x 2mm or 5mm x 2.5mm screws, for these I use a Philips 0 designed for electrical work. Decent sized comfortable rubberised handle that won't leave blisters on your hands after taking apart a few dozen laptops and doesn't ruin the screws leaving them looking like an amateur got at them.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maplins sell precision kits, I bought one there I'd say about 6 years ago and I've never needed anything else and I do a lot of work with laptops, PCs and devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

iFixit 54bit driver kit

I've been through a LOT of screwdriver kits, and cheap ones have malformed heads on some of the smaller grades or else they are weak and will deform if you get a ceased screw

The iFixit kits are brilliant AND they will warranty the head and will no question send you out replacement heads if you break ones from the kit

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's only occasional stuff (a few times a month), then you can get good quality stuff at a low price, like this; http://amzn.eu/4YoxrHe

The main mistake people make is using these sets on everyday household tasks, where the required torque is higher and will deform the heads quickly. Then you use a slightly deformed head on your own screws and wreck them. Or using the wrong head when you don't have the right one.

If you do a lot of work on electronics (like daily) then you will benefit from a more expensive kit with a manufacturer's warranty. But a cheaper kit with good reviews will be just fine for occasional work on your own stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement