Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacked via email.. what to do next

Options
  • 18-07-2017 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've just been sacked via email.

I'm mid 30's . Never been sacked in my life. I've always excelled in my career

My new employer ( just under a year ) had issues with a few different factors ( 4 in total )

We had a meeting ( not a disciplinary action meeting .. i asked )

Then today I get an email ( long email ) bottom line .. i'm asked with 1 weeks notice.

I've talked to some friends about the whole thing and they said there is no way they had grounds to sake me ... not even a verbal warning / written warning before this.

What should I do ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

My new employer ( just under a year ) had issues with a few different factors ( 4 in total )

Then today I get an email ( long email ) bottom line .. i'm asked with 1 weeks notice.

I've talked to some friends about the whole thing and they said there is no way they had grounds to sake me ... not even a verbal warning / written warning before this.

What should I do ?

Was there a probationary period since the start?
    Any contract?

Sorry to hear btw... think of it as a new start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

What should I do ?

Chalk it down. Most employees rights dont kick in before 1 year's service (pregnancy excepted)

Learn from it and move on.

Best of luck job hunting.

with 1 weeks notice.

What should I do ?

Have a nice, relaxing, counter-productive week. Put your feet up and read the paper for the week and seek out some jobs.

Sacking someone via email is pretty spineless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

Contact a solicitor if you feel you were unfairly dismissed , all depends on the reasons stated why they dismissed you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Harsh as it is you might just have to write it off and move on. Start looking for a new job right away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Kerryman79 wrote: »
    Contact a solicitor if you feel you were unfairly dismissed , all depends on the reasons stated why they dismissed you

under 1 year they have little reason for unfair dismissal.

Chalk it down, learn from it, and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kerryman79

After 2 months they are legally entitled to a contract, depends on the contract if they were on probation then the unfair dismissals act wont apply, its a sticky one not knowing all the facts, if the person is replaced then they should have a solid claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

If you always excelled in your career why did you leave your previous employer(s)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Why does that matter? Perhaps it's because he doesn't like orange juice?

I didn't realise you can only excel in your career once you stay in the same job! :pac:
    If you always excelled in your career why did you leave your previous employer(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

A lot of people like to move on to new things or maybe the pay or position wasn't going anywhere.

My last job was for just under 3 years, I was one of two people running a successful, fast growing ecommerce department that supported a large chain of stores with an international company. Got paid minimum wage, no promotions, new staff member given supervisor over me with no interview, new manager was a moron and gave me grief all the time despite not knowing what I did. Left the job and am now earning more than double the pay. Good experience on my CV, yes, but still annoying to have a potential career turn out to be a dead end job.

OP, unfortunately as you're there less than a year you have little in the way of employee rights for dismissal. Ridiculous, but hopefully you find something worthy of your time and skillset!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

DaveyDave wrote: »
    A lot of people like to move on to new things or maybe the pay or position wasn't going anywhere.

My last job was for just under 3 years, I was one of two people running a successful, fast growing ecommerce department that supported a large chain of stores with an international company. Got paid minimum wage, no promotions, new staff member given supervisor over me with no interview, new manager was a moron and gave me grief all the time despite not knowing what I did. Left the job and am now earning more than double the pay. Good experience on my CV, yes, but still annoying to have a potential career turn out to be a dead end job.

OP, unfortunately as you're there less than a year you have little in the way of employee rights for dismissal. Ridiculous, but hopefully you find something worthy of your time and skillset!

Perhaps the original poster might reply and answer.If he/she excelled so much there could have been friction or a personality clash with the boss that just sacked him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Other than the manager being a spineless crettin I see no problems here..
    There were obviously 4 problems of some sorts and with less than a years employment letting you move on is probably the wisest solution to all..

I wouldnt piss about too much on your weeks notice if your hoping for a neutral reference, last thing you need is 11 months in a job and a bad reference, that will make job hunting much harder..

Shame on the manager for doing this by email... SHAME !

Advertisement