Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Camera Advice: Sony A5100 or Coolpix B700 or ?

Options
  • 18-07-2017 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi,

Heading to Portugal for a week in August and will have to travel without my Nikon D7200 as it'll be getting oil spots removed.

I'm thinking of getting a second, smaller camera which would be more suitable to travel anyway, for land/sea scapes, street shots, portraits.

I had a look at Mirrorless and the Sony A6000 seems much loved, but it's a bit pricey. The Sony A5100 with kit 16-50mm lens is a bit more accessible.

However, I've since come across the Nikon Coolpix B700, a bridge camera with a huge 60x motorised zoom. Reviews vary in terms of verdict. It's a good bit bigger than the A5100, and has a much smaller sensor, but the zoom is quite a big selling point.

Any advice? Has anyone had experience of both? Or any suggestions of alternative cameras to consider in the sub-500 Euro range...or lower?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would go with the Sony. I have the A5000 and I love it. I had a bridge camera before that and even though the zoom was amazing, the quality of the photos - zoomed or not - wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

dory wrote: »
    I would go with the Sony. I have the A5000 and I love it. I had a bridge camera before that and even though the zoom was amazing, the quality of the photos - zoomed or not - wasn't.

Thanks Dory. Might just do that. I gather the kit lens is pretty good. What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

I have the Nex-5N (equivalent to A5000 I think?) and it does take some really nice pictures. Personally I find the lack of viewfinder a bit of an annoyance but it does take good quality images

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

cojobt wrote: »
    Thanks Dory. Might just do that. I gather the kit lens is pretty good. What do you reckon?

I just discovered the 'Which camera' thread so have posted this message there. Apologies for double posting!

Advertisement