Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ACCA Tuition

• 19-07-2017 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just saw that Gerry Fahy and Terry Lawless formally F7, F8, P1, P2, P3 lecturers at DBS are joining forces from August to deliver tuition for ACCA. I had both of them for these subjects and have just one subject left - P3. Both of them excellent lecturers got me a 2nd and 8th world placing in P1 and P2. Was dithering over where I should go to for P3 but I will definitely be going to them for it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭ACCA1916

Agreed - Both Gerry and Terry excellent lecturers.

Had both for my ACCA studies and probably most influential overall.

Best of luck to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sariah wrote: »
    Just saw that Gerry Fahy and Terry Lawless formally F7, F8, P1, P2, P3 lecturers at DBS are joining forces from August to deliver tuition for ACCA. I had both of them for these subjects and have just one subject left - P3. Both of them excellent lecturers got me a 2nd and 8th world placing in P1 and P2. Was dithering over where I should go to for P3 but I will definitely be going to them for it.

Any link to their courses? I'm just starting out with ACCA and doing F7 in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Any link to their courses? I'm just starting out with ACCA and doing F7 in December.

Link

Also +1 for Gerry Fahy. I had him for F7 and P2 and he really is excellent. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Sariah

http://www.professionalaccountancytraining.com/

Thanks for that guys. I don't see any pricing on the site so I'll pop them off an email to see if they have anything set yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭backtothebooks

Dave O'Donoghue at AccountancySchool.ie is the man for F7. I couldn't recommend him highly enough.

Dave O'Donoghue at AccountancySchool.ie is the man for F7. I couldn't recommend him highly enough.

That's the number one choice so far. Was thinking online lectures with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Good cos I just started these last night with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 sowdublin

I did F7 with him, for September 2016 sitting and had an exemption for F3. He made the subject look so easy and manageable. Five out of five stars for Dave!

Had Gerry Fahy for F7 and scored 70%. He is excellent. Looks like there are 2 great choices for F7.

• Advertisement

76% on f7 and 78% on P2. Never worked a day in practice or don't have a financial role so those marks were gained wholly by the lectures. Although sometimes I think having practical experience and actually working in a relevant role actually goes against you with ACCA.

What's p3 like as a subject? Have no expectations just hoping to clear it without too much pain. Just sat p6 in June and worked hard for that.

If you had Terry for P1, I am sure he be excellent for P3.

P3 is nice subject - all about exam technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Just saw today that Julie Hawkins (former DBS P6 Lecturer) is now with Accountancy School for P6
    Its the ACCA transfer window :rolleyes:

[snipped] That's their 3 best lecturers gone.

Yeah Julie was the first to go. I had her for P6 in June, another excellent lecturer. DBS seem to be going down the full Kaplan route and as those of you who have studied under these 3 lecturers will know they teach most of their lectures with their own notes that they have customised through their years of experience of getting students through these exams. Julie and Gerry were there for over 20 years. DBS's loss imo.

ACCA1916 wrote: »
    If you had Terry for P1, I am sure he be excellent for P3.

P3 is nice subject - all about exam technique.

Terry's strength is exam technique. I was able to pick through every mark on the p1 paper.

So everything is paid up and sitting F7 in December. Hopefully there'll be no problems with work reimbursing all the monies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Board.surf

I'll have to jump in on this. I'm trying to push through the first few F exams without tuition. Anyone know what it's like working directly with ACCA. From the above, I see they are gaining great lecturers.

Also, if anyone wants to add a fellow accounting student on linkedin, please feel free to PM me. Having studied Law initially, I'm a bit light on the ground for networking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

anyone have Umesh Rana of Griffith for F8/P1?

Had him for F8 didn't really like his style that much so taking p1 homestudy instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Sariah wrote: »
    Yeah Julie was the first to go. I had her for P6 in June, another excellent lecturer. DBS seem to be going down the full Kaplan route and as those of you who have studied under these 3 lecturers will know they teach most of their lectures with their own notes that they have customised through their years of experience of getting students through these exams. Julie and Gerry were there for over 20 years. DBS's loss imo.

Didn't realise Gerry Fahy was there that long. A Griffith college ACCA lecturer told me late last year that Gerry also used to teach for Griffith.

• Advertisement

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    anyone have Umesh Rana of Griffith for F8/P1?

Had him for F8 didn't really like his style that much so taking p1 homestudy instead.

Be careful with P1 it's not a difficult subject but exam technique is particularly important and it has the same pass rate as p2. You really want to focus on the past exam papers as soon as possible. Huge gap between the study material and the way the questions are asked for the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CocoSoft25

Thinking of jumping ship from DBS to study F7 and F8 with Gerry and Terry. Anyone have any insight to Marcus McInerney for F9 tho?

AFAIK PAT (Gerry and Terry) will be offering the full suite of F papers for the June 2017 sitting. They obviously won't be delivering them all personally but I imagine they will be taking on Lecturers that teach with a similar style i.e teaching to the exam. Might be worth contacting them re F9 if you are thinking of doing the others with them.

Advertisement