Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TDF stage 17 | 183km La Mure / Serre-Chevalier

Options
  • 19-07-2017 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

This could be a fun day especially for sunweb with the Galibier & telegraphe on the route and a sprint at 47km. Dans prospects look over after yesterdays "illness" in the Quickstep squad and a mountain day wont suit Kittel. Skybots to control the peleton and GC to stay as is. Boring.

PROFIL.png
    Christian Prudhomme's comment

Climbers battling it out for the Yellow Jersey will have two more days to express themselves, to change the outcome or comfort a decent lead and gain precious time. Heading towards Serre-Chevalier, we will give them the most prestigious of what the Alps has to offer: the Col de la Croix de Fer and then the Galibier back after a 6-year absence, going up the Télégraphe. It's now up to them.

CARTE.jpg
    Welcome back, Galibier!
    The col du Galibier (alt. 2642m) is one of the giants in the legend of the Tour. It's the third highest in the history after La Bonnette (2802m), the Iseran (2764m) and Agnel (2744m). It's the highest stage finish in the history since Andy Schleck won up there in 2011. Interestingly, the climb that hosts the memorial of race founder Henri Desgrange hasn't been on the Tour route since 2011. Actually, it was in 2015 but it was substituted by the col de la Croix de Fer due to a pile of rubble. Six years between two passages at the Galibier is a record. The peloton has changed a lot since 2011. From the current top 10 on GC, only Rigoberto Uran was racing the Tour six years ago

PROFILCOLSCOTES_2.png
    1 FROOME CHRISTOPHER 1 TEAM SKY 68H 18' 36''
    2 ARU FABIO 51 ASTANA PRO TEAM 68H 18' 54'' + 00' 18''
    3 BARDET ROMAIN 11 AG2R LA MONDIALE 68H 18' 59'' + 00' 23''
    4 URAN RIGOBERTO 188 CANNONDALE DRAPAC PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM 68H 19' 05'' + 00' 29''
    5 LANDA MIKEL 6 TEAM SKY 68H 19' 53'' + 01' 17''
    6 YATES SIMON 89 ORICA - SCOTT 68H 20' 38'' + 02' 02''
    7 MARTIN DANIEL 105 QUICK - STEP FLOORS 68H 20' 39'' + 02' 03''
    8 MEINTJES LOUIS 61 UAE TEAM EMIRATES 68H 24' 36'' + 06' 00''
    9 CARUSO DAMIANO 42 BMC RACING TEAM 68H 24' 41'' + 06' 05''
    10 QUINTANA NAIRO 21 MOVISTAR TEAM 68H 24' 52'' + 06' 16''

TV Times - ITV 4 11am, Eurosport 11am

Stage Winner for today 28 votes

Landa
    0% 0 votes
    Barguil
    7% 2 votes
    Froome
    7% 2 votes
    Bardet
    7% 2 votes
    Kittel
    32% 9 votes
    Quintana
    17% 5 votes
    Roglic - voted for by Beasty and only Beasty
    0% 0 votes
    A Steve Cummings solo breakaway from KM0
    28% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Hopefully Dan has the legs today, would love to see him at front around the 120km mark making top 5 work for their places.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Has to be Kittel - he'll breakaway for the sprint points in Allemont and stay away for the win.... or something

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Oh baby, this could be great....

But actually, froome to attack on the last ascent/descent and take the win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Breakaway today ...SKY just need to control before the TT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

For any of the GC contenders to stand a chance of beating Froome to the 2017 title, they better get their finger out today.  Bardet will have to do something big, so I expect Ag2R to rip it up. Leaving any big moves until tomorrow will be risking failure. Gone are the days of Pantani-esque rocket-assisted climbs so the average viewer will probably consider the top guys staying together as boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Can't see the point in bringing the tour up the Galibier only to finish 28km later downhill.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Dan to obliterate them all. He was faking it yesterday. Froome to crack and smash the nearest mechanic's pedal wrench over Dave B's head and spill all as he's had enough of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Kittles down off the bike big crash

Big crash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Wow Kittel doesn't look happy here.

• Advertisement

blood all down kittles right leg and his jerseys in bits on the shoulder. getting a change of shoes now and the sunweb boys are pushing on the front

Cummings took some tumble, lucky it was into a field. Looked OK bar his arse being out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I've seen bike changes, and wheel changes, but that's the first time I've seen a shoe change.

Djoucer wrote: »
    Can't see the point in bringing the tour up the Galibier only to finish 28km later downhill.

GC guys will fight each other for time but not necessarily the breakaway

Kittel is back on , just off the back with the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I've seen bike changes, and wheel changes, but that's the first time I've seen a shoe change.

You've been shoe-rt changed so.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Roche in the front group of 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

You gotta hand it to Matthews and his team - they are superb this year in terms of tactics and race reading; Matthews on his own is an excellent all-rounder and really has the head for racing - the basics of attacking/chasing/following the right wheels. In contrast, Kittel is like a spoilt baby, great sprinter and all as he is. Give me 100 Matthews type proper road men over a robot like Kittel any day.

matthews has hid tantrums in the past when he was at orica

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why one unwritten rule for the Yellow Jersey, but green jersey contenders can hammer it when the leader is crashed or having a mechanical.

Makes a mockery of it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Weepsie wrote: »
    Why one unwritten rule for the Yellow Jersey, but green jersey contenders can hammer it when the leader is crashed or having a mechanical.

Just get rid of the unwritten rules

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

Weepsie wrote: »

according to guardian, they attacked before the crash...

neris wrote: »
    matthews has hid tantrums in the past when he was at orica

That's true - but he is tactically very astute is my main point. And very versatile in his talents, similar to Sagan in many ways.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    That's true - but he is tactically very astute is my main point. And very versatile in his talents, similar to Sagan in many ways.

Don't like Matthews at all... I mean bling for one thing...but mostly becasue he wouldn't ride for Gerrans at OBE even when Gerrans had ridden for him..and he threw tantrums...they let him go

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Don't like Matthews at all... I mean bling for one thing...but mostly becasue he wouldn't ride for Gerrans at OBE even when Gerrans had ridden for him..and he threw tantrums...they let him go

Well I'm glad that i don't have to live with him so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Sprinters are prima donnas.
    Dan Martin and his fellow GC mountain goats can do 98% of what sprinters do, but sprinters can do only about 60% of what these climbers can do. (% figures made up on the spot )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

What time approx should they reach Galibier? Need to plan my skiiving off work

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Quick Step are the only team without a rider in the break. Seems like a mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Ah, the familiar dispiriting sight of pro riders floating up a famous climb you once ground up at a third of the speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Quick Step are the only team without a rider in the break. Seems like a mistake...

One has to assume that they are still carrying sickness in the team.

Advertisement