Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive system

Options
  • 19-07-2017 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

I have just got Hive installed for the central heating and I am impressed so far.

I see you can get door/window sensors, motion detectors and cctv cameras also as well as smart plugs and bulbs.

I am wondering if anyone has used this as a security system?

If the sensors are triggered it sends an alert to whatever phones are linked to the account. You could check what sensor has been triggered, have a look via the cameras and reset/call the neighbours/call the guards...

I know it's not monitored by a third party but I would be happy to self-monitor.

Any feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Nobody using this yet? I know it's relatively new on the market so maybe I'll need to be the guinea pig!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I have my doubts that their security detectors will conform with EN 50131, therefore cannot be certified to the bench mark standard.
    That then means insurers will not recognise it as a security system

Good point. I can put in a call to Bord Gais to find out.

Although I found that there was a negligible difference in insurance premium whether you had an alarm or not, and for fear of a claim being refused if the house were broken into when the alarm was not set, we have always just said we have no alarm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

kub wrote: »
    I have my doubts that their security detectors will conform with EN 50131, therefore cannot be certified to the bench mark standard.
    That then means insurers will not recognise it as a security system

Insurance companies accept many different forms of alarm system not just those certified to En50131.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote:
    Insurance companies accept many different forms of alarm system not just those certified to En50131.

Enlighten me please as I thought on home insurance policies that it specifically mentions EN 50131 and previous to that IS 199.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

They do. But you can also have on your policy you have a self installed alarm or you have no monitoring or maintenance so your system does not conform to En50131. And as you stated, the older IS199.
    What's important is what's on the policy is accurate and up-to-date. Better than having En50131 and missing a service when you enter a claim. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

curiousb wrote:
    Nobody using this yet? I know it's relatively new on the market so maybe I'll need to be the guinea pig!

Pop over to the Home automation forum.

You won't be the guinea pig there.

These units are typically simple enough used to show doors are open to turn things on and off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Yeah some of those home automation systems are top notch. The wireless platform used is normally very robust/encrypted and frequency hopping/multi channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

Hi Curiousb,

I too have a Hive hub and thermostat and it all seems to be working just fine. I am contemplating getting some other Hive products for security etc.

I would assume it makes sense to stay with the same vendor.

I am just wondering if you bought other Hive products like the cemeras and if so, how did you find them?

Thanks

realtec wrote: »
    Hi Curiousb,

I too have a Hive hub and thermostat and it all seems to be working just fine. I am contemplating getting some other Hive products for security etc.

I would assume it makes sense to stay with the same vendor.

I am just wondering if you bought other Hive products like the cemeras and if so, how did you find them?

Thanks

I have 2 motion sensors and two door sensors and they work fine. I get an email if they are triggered. I set them up a while ago now, and to be honest the batteries ran out on the door sensors and I haven't replaced them!

I think it is a good system to help you keep an eye on things, e.g. teenagers coming and going at different times :)... but I wouldn't rely on it as a proper security system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement