Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting

Options
  • 19-07-2017 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Morning all.

I just got offered a job in Dublin yesterday. I'm currently based in Cork but I'm fine with moving. They need me to start asap, by August 1st at the latest. So I'm looking for housing and I have to ask, is it normal to hit so many scams? Of the ten replies I've gotten so far, 8 were transparent scams (give us the deposit to secure a viewing and we'll totally return it after!)

I've lived in Canada, Slovakia, England and Australia, and in the past 24 hours, I've met more scammers in Dublin than I have in all of those countries put together.

Is there any advice on how to cut through the crap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Are you using Daft? Have you reported the scams to them?

It does seem there are a lot more scammers around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭roycon111

There should not be any scammers if you are using myhome or daft - maybe once in a blue moon but if there is then just report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,820 ✭✭✭✭L1011

roycon111 wrote: »
    There should not be any scammers if you are using myhome or daft - maybe once in a blue moon but if there is then just report them.

If you are looking for places that are nice and cheap, they're all scams as no such flats exist

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ukako

Similar experience.......(ㄒㄒ)  
    Three days met all kinds of scams. They even said you could view the house without deposit. We didn't found they were cheaters until we found the PSR Licence Number was fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Loblox

Just yesterday I had two people contact me to say the apartments had been taken before I got to see them. I was on the train up at the time and got to spend an hour and a half frantically trying to get in contact with as many as possible to not let the day be a total waste. I was able to get one guy let me in to see his place, but that's it. I do have got four lined up over the next few days, so hopefully something comes up because my new job starts August 1st and soon the students will be coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

You could always rent a room on a temporary basis, say 2 months, move up, and then take your time to find something when you're up here and available to view places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You could always rent a room on a temporary basis, say 2 months, move up, and then take your time to find something when you're up here and available to view places.

Yep rent a room IMHO. That or AirBnB it for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 vita.s

I saw that some people need reference letters. I have been living at home for the past year and I don't feel comfortable asking my landlord from a year ago to be my reference.

Is there a way to get around this? Like give a work reference? Do many people actually ask for references, should I even be worried about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

vita.s wrote: »
    I saw that some people need reference letters. I have been living at home for the past year and I don't feel comfortable asking my landlord from a year ago to be my reference.

Is there a way to get around this? Like give a work reference? Do many people actually ask for references, should I even be worried about this?

I signed two leases in my life; in the case of the first one, I remember providing a work reference. Just a letter saying "X is employed by Y company etc etc." The landlord basically wants to know that I have secure employment and can therefore pay the rent. In the second place, I don't remember if they were asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

vita.s wrote: »

Make it up/get someone to make one up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Colsin91

I remember asking my landlord from 3 years ago to be my reference. Nobody asked any questions. At the end of the day, it is a business transaction to them, and they don't care

Advertisement