Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle for breastfed baby?

Options
  • 19-07-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering can anyone help my OH and I out.

We have a 14 week old son, doing great. We have exclusively breast fed, save for a bit of trouble at the start when he has some trouble latching. Our priority was to breastfeed, so when we (eventually) were confident and happy we somewhat neglected pumping and giving him a bottle.

How we find ourselves in a bit of a conundrum, as he won't take a bottle now. We have tried the Medela, and are currently trying the Nuk bottles, with no real success.

Has anyone gone through something similar, and can recommend a bottle type or even some advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We found NUK teats worked on our 2. My wife breast /expressed/bottle fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

My son liked the MAM bottles, and they self sterlize in the microwave which is handy as you wouldn't give bottles the whole time.

Try having your hubby give the bottle with you out of the room, a lot of times if mom is around they won't take one as the source is better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Hard as it may be, I think you just have to be persistant. A teat is harder than a nipple so it requires a different sucking mechanism, I suppose. I used Avent for mine- the teats on those are actually quite hard. It took a while but they took to them after a week or so or trying.
    Once they realised the milk came out quicker than the breast, that momentarily meant a bit of switcheroo issues though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

We used https://www.tommeetippee.us/product/closer-to-nature-bottle.

Was great. Never confused the baba and she would be happy to take either. I was able to share night feeds with the wife (she'd pump) and let her rest then she'd do breast during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The wide necked nuk, with the latex teat were acceptable here, or the Mam either.
    The latex is a lot softer so often is a bit easier to get them to take.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We did use tommee tippee too, but a lactation consultant recommended dr brown's or Nuk or Mam ones.
    As someone else said though, persistent effort seems to be the big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We used Avent first and then moved to Tommee Tippee after I got a good deal on Amazon on a big box of them. My son started taking the odd bottle at around 8-9 weeks and has been mostly fine with them since then. I'm using them as a bit of a crutch to wean him off the boob at the moment though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

We used Nuby with no issues and he took Mam bottles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

We used the tommee tippee bottles with the teat that has the little cross at the top of it. Can't remember the name of them off hand sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Munchkin latch worked for me. They're supposed to be designed to go from breast to bottle and back. The tommee tippee weren't working at all at the time and she took to it straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks,

Just to give an update on this.

As I stated in my OP, baby was struggling to take a bottle. We have the Nuk.

Yesterday, as my OH was pumping that we would try this batch as opposed to the milk we had in the fridge. My thinking was that the temperature was going to be absolutely perfect for him.

I approached it as usual, as calm as can be....and he absolutely swamped it!! He was like a pro! Could not believe it.

Now, we'll take that win, but know that today could be the complete opposite...but still, at least now we know that he can take the Nuk!

Thank you all for your grear advice.

Advertisement