Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking supplies in Limerick/Clare/Tipperary

Options
  • 19-07-2017 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm making a few novelty cakes next weekend but I'm struggling to get supplies. Anybody know of anywhere in the general Limerick area that has a good selection of baking supplies? I've tried Allens, Tesco, Supervalu, The Range, Homestore & More and online. The main thing I need that I can't get is a 4mm circle plunger cutter (or alternatively a 4mm circle piping nozzle).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

LLL11 wrote: »
    I'm making a few novelty cakes next weekend but I'm struggling to get supplies. Anybody know of anywhere in the general Limerick area that has a good selection of baking supplies? I've tried Allens, Tesco, Supervalu, The Range, Homestore & More and online. The main thing I need that I can't get is a 4mm circle plunger cutter (or alternatively a 4mm circle piping nozzle).

Not a physical shop but I've ordered from Lakelands online before and gotten things really quickly from them which could work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 LLL11

Unfortunately they don't have what I'm looking for right now but I'll probably order from them in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

Decobake (not sure if there shop is still in Limerick) but can buy online!

I used to go there every year but they closed earlier this year. Their online site was down until today but they don't have the cutter I want online anyway. Thank you though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Have you tried stuff4cakes.ie? I don't know whether the numbers of these nozzles correspond to the size but if you gave them a ring they would check for you. Next day delivery, free on orders over €50.
    http://www.stuff4cakes.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=36_152

Doesn't look like the circle cutters come in a 4mm

http://www.stuff4cakes.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=31_301&product_id=12411

That's pretty tiny, what are you cutting out? Would any of the confetti sprinkles do instead?

• Advertisement

I had a look at those nozzles but couldn't find information on whether the number corresponded to the size. I might ring them like you suggested though thank you.

I'm making a Lego cake so want the cutter for the circles at the top. I ordered a 6mm cutter but I think it will be too big. I have another idea as backup though so hopefully all will go to plan. I'm finding it a lot harder to get supplies this year. No website has everything I need so I'm spending at least a fiver delivery on each website and it's working out very expensive.

Thank you all for your replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

4mm is very tiny, for that size I think you need to think outside the box, look at what you already have in your kitchen that has small holes. A garlic press, a colander, a strainer. Push your icing through it and cut to size. Alternatively just roll a small snake of icing, let it sit out to harden up a bit and slice it to size. If you don't let it harden it'll lose its circleness (is circleness a word? :D ) Best of luck with it!

Or you could make your own, cut open a plastic bottle, if you have a 4mm drill bit then great, drill away, otherwise use a skewer and puncture a hole about that size, push your icing through it.

Orrrrr buy moulds to save you breaking your heart trying to stick 4mm circles
    https://www.amazon.com/Jollylife-Building-Bricks-Minifigure-Chocolate/dp/B007MJFVJM/ref=pd_sbs_79_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6V9DCYB5FYPQ8QNTARSF

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I was going to suggest a cork borer, but then I saw the prices :eek:

How about a hollow punch tool for leather? Here's one on Ebay (not recommending, just found with a quick search). 4mm is £1.99, but postage to Ireland is £3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Does that mean your lego icing blocks are the same scale as lifesize? If so I'd be more inclined to just get a lego block mould or better still make one. If you ring stuff4cakes they will definitely check size for you, they are very helpful. I have an amount of nozzles and I looked through all of them out of curiosity and there is only one roughly that size, it's a writing tube but a pretty big one as writing tubes go. I mainly use it for piping large dots or cutting eyes for things.

Ya 4mm is the actual size of the circles on top of Lego. I bought the Lego moulds, but I'm going to use those to scatter Lego pieces around the cake because they're too deep to put on top neatly and it would be too hard to get them all the same depth if I was to say half fill them.

Also if anyone is thinking of buying the Lego moulds from Amazon, I bought these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XZGUOS4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , and annoyingly they're bigger than an actual Lego piece. Luckily I had already bought the official Lego mould but wanted more so that I could save time and do them all at once. But I'll use the one for the men.

I'm thinking of pressing the bottom a Lego board down on top of fondant icing which will save a lot of time if it works, although the circles will be slightly smaller-but I can deal with that. If I can get the stuff to make my own mould in time I'll try that. I had been looking at stationary punches but never thought of the hollow punch tool for leather, thank you!

I have never been this disorganised or last minute before :(

• Advertisement

I just realised the cap of my pen is 3.5mm so will try that this evening along with pressing the back of the lego board. Here's hoping one of them works.

If not you've all given me plenty of suggestions - Thank you!

Just an update for anyone that is interested. I used a straw to cut the circles and it was the perfect size. It was a nightmare dipping it into icing sugar between each one though because they kept getting stuck. The 6mm plunger cutter I ordered arrived too late to use that but I tried it out and although it was bigger than an actual lego piece it would have looked ok. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will.

Advertisement