Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Cabling for home office

Options
  • 19-07-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I got a new home office built in the garden last year and the builders put Cat cabling which gave me the same broadband as the house (which was pretty bad, 3mB). we now have fibre power for the last two weeks but the cable doesn't connect it. Wtih a wired TP link I get around 20% of the broadband in the house on my laptop (no wirteless though). I would like to get the cat cabling redone to the new broadband but I am finding it really difficult to find someone who can do it. I am based in Mullingar. Can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest anything I can do? Many Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Can you not use the cable you have at the minute and plug it into the ethernet port to the rear of the new fiber modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marpad

I can't i'm afraid, the cable I have is in the office which is in the garden and the modem is in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

marpad wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I got a new home office built in the garden last year and the builders put Cat cabling which gave me the same broadband as the house (which was pretty bad, 3mB). we now have fibre power for the last two weeks but the cable doesn't connect it. Wtih a wired TP link I get around 20% of the broadband in the house on my laptop (no wirteless though). I would like to get the cat cabling redone to the new broadband but I am finding it really difficult to find someone who can do it. I am based in Mullingar. Can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest anything I can do? Many Thanks,

Have you got Cat 5,Cat 5e or Cat 6? I may be wrong but I don't think the problem is actually with the cabling since it worked before you changed to fibre.

Is there any comms wiring currently running between the house and the garden office? How did your previous broadband work in the office? Over tp link adapters between the house and garden office?

No it works from the cabling but the problem is that we now have fibre to the home, so the guy who installed it told me the cat cabling wouldn't work and he is right, he said I would have to get it recabled to the new fibre to the home cables. The problem is I can't find anyone to do that. The old braodband was regular sky broadband. This is new rural fibre to the home. It is Cat 6 cabling. Was only laid last year when they were building the office. The company who built the office are from the north so I can't get the same guy down to do it. Thanks for replies so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

Something isn't adding up here...
    "Fibre to the home cables" - no such thing, you get fibre as far as your modem and then it's Cat5/Cat6 from there on.
    So if they genuinely ran Cat6 cable from the house to your shed, and more importantly, they did it correctly, then you shouldn't have to make any changes whatsoever for Fibre to the Home. Cat5e/Cat6 is good for 1 gigabit up to 100 metres.

Now you say "With a wired TP link I get around 20%" - what TP Link are you using? Can you post a model number? Are you using this in the office? Is there another one of these TPLink units in the house?
    As this could be a powerline adapter which is not Cat5/Cat6 cabling at all and as you can see achieves dreadful speeds.

Do you have any idea how your previous broadband worked or was set up? If theres no cable linking the house to the office how did your previous broadband with sky work? Over homeplugs? Wifi booster? It dosnt make any difference if its dsl, adsl, vdsl or ftth. The equipment still does the same thing weither you connect through wifi or ethernet to access the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

A cable has two ends, can you describe where each end of this 'cat' cable is and how they are terminated?

Thanks for the replies. I really have no idea about any of this stuff or how it works. I feel completely out of my depth and am happy to pay someone, I just can't find anyone locally! Ideally a proper company that I can invoice from my business not just someone doing a nixer, if anyone knows a company in the midlands who might be able to help please let me know. This is the situation:
    Old broadband - regular 3mb broadband, switched providers a few times last provider was sky. Modem was in spare room at front of the house. Cat cabling to the office when it was built in the garden last year. Cat cable was plugged into the following equipment TP link TL SF1005D and this device was plugged into TP link wireless N access point Model TL WA801ND. When I do exactly the same thing now, no wireless the only connection I can get is by plugging a cable directly into the TP socket and the other part of the TP plug directly to the new modem. If I try and plug the existing cat cable to the TP plug it doesn't work. Before I could get exactly the same (granted rubbish) speed as the house wirelessly in the whole office so my printer, phone etc. all had wifi too and crucially I had vodafone sure signal which worked off wifi and gave me mobile phone coverage in the office.
    New Broadband is fab in the house but not having wifi in the office is a pain and I am back at the kitchen table more often than not. It's my busiest time of year so I haven't had a lot of time to try and sort it but come next week the company I work for close for holidays and I am really hoping I can spend some time trying to sort it out. The engineer who connected fibre to the home categorically told me the cat cabling would have to be re-done to work with the new wifi. He ran cabling from the telephone pole outside our house to the back of the house and installed a new modem, he said completely different system but again I don't know anything about it. If people think I don't need to get new cabling brilliant but I probably need to do something to configure. I know I am clueless and I would really prefer to pay a professional so that it is done correctly.

Also I just checked an email from the builder last year where I asked him about the cat cable. He says that it was run from the reuter at the front of the house to the office. I will go and try and find the part at the front of the house. If it is as simple as plugging it into the new modem I will be very happy! (and feel very stupid)

• Advertisement

No it works from the cabling but the problem is that we now have fibre to the home, so the guy who installed it told me the cat cabling wouldn't work and he is right, he said I would have to get it recabled to the new fibre to the home cables. The problem is I can't find anyone to do that. The old braodband was regular sky broadband. This is new rural fibre to the home. It is Cat 6 cabling. Was only laid last year when they were building the office. The company who built the office are from the north so I can't get the same guy down to do it. Thanks for replies so far.

The installer is talking utter rubbish.

Also I just checked an email from the builder last year where I asked him about the cat cable. He says that it was run from the reuter at the front of the house to the office. I will go and try and find the part at the front of the house. If it is as simple as plugging it into the new modem I will be very happy! (and feel very stupid)

Hopefully there is a socket in the house where you can run an ethernet cable to your new router, problem solved :)

UPDATE OK so I found what I think is the correct cable from the old Reutor, it runs to the attic so my husband is going to go to the attic this evening and run it down to where the new reutor is at the back of the house, if this solves the problem I will be thrilled. Thanks again for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

UPDATE OK so I found what I think is the correct cable from the old Reutor, it runs to the attic so my husband is going to go to the attic this evening and run it down to where the new reutor is at the back of the house, if this solves the problem I will be thrilled. Thanks again for all the help
    Where was this cable connected to the "TP link TL SF1005D"?

Is there just a plug at the house end of the cable?

Like this...
    RJ%2B45.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Reading this again it would seem that the old modem/router was in the spare room upstairs and perhaps the new fibre router is downstairs????

so the guy who installed it told me the cat cabling wouldn't work and he is right, he said I would have to get it recabled to the new fibre to the home cables..

The installer was pointing out that now that the new modem is in a different location in the house you would have to move the 'home office' cable to the new location. This would have been beyond the remit of the installer but he was correct in his advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

wait4me wrote: »
    Reading this again it would seem that the old modem/router was in the spare room upstairs and perhaps the new fibre router is downstairs????
    degsie wrote: »
    The installer was pointing out that now that the new modem is in a different location in the house you would have to move the 'home office' cable to the new location. This would have been beyond the remit of the installer but he was correct in his advice.
    + 1
    That is how is read it.

I JUST WANT TO SAY A MASSIVE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO OFFERED ADVICE!!! I HAVE WIFI. My husband ran the cable through the attic and down to the utility room to the new modem and the old system through the wifi tp link is wlorking perfecty and I have 40mb wifi in my office. So thrilled and can't believe that it was something so simple (and obvious to all you who know what you are talking about). Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Great news!

• Advertisement
Advertisement